Trade California for FF? | FerrariChat

Trade California for FF?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Mrross27, Feb 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mrross27

Mrross27 Karting

Apr 21, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #1 Mrross27, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello fellow Fchatters,

I replaced my 2010 California this past fall with a 2014MY California 30, I loaded it up quite heavy with options to a sticker of approx. $251k. Since, this winter in Chicago has been quite nasty (as around elsewhere) i have only put 800 miles on the new Cali.

This past weekend, I test drove the FF it is a 2013MY with a 2012 production year, currently has 8500 miles and a sticker of $396k, it is nearly fully loaded other than the panoramic roof. I have an opportunity to trade my Cali 30 for the FF for a cash difference of $64k (I might be able to negotiate a bit there) - i am getting offered $205k for my Cali 30.

I did love the FF, for the 8 mile test drive i thought it drove better than my previous GT Speed or pretty much any other car i have driven in the past. I am strongly considering the FF, but giving up the convertible in the summer when it's the only time to use the car in our weather will be pretty tough.

any suggestions? (getting both is not an option sadly)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Get the FF. I've seen a couple in LA and they're stunning. You will love it and will drive something that only very few dare to appreciate. You can drive it over the course of the year much more than the California and you can get another car, something cheaper, for a convertible (like a BMW or something like that). I say do it. Go FF. You'll be driving a cult car within the Ferrari culture--a standout.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    From a deal standpoint I think you are getting a fair deal. If you could negotiate another $10k, it would be great. After that, it's a personal choice for you to make.

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I agree , however, keep the Cali

5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Ha! I did the opposite. Went to drive/make a deal on FF, but came away with the Cali instead. Because we love convertibles and the Cali is so much fun. Love the FF and would like to own one in addition to the Cali, but can't justify it at the moment... We have no kids at home, so that makes a difference as well...

That FF is a stunner, and if it will give you more drive time, that's what you should do. Besides, you can always trade for the Cali T later if the allure of a convertible calls again...

6. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Ferrari Fort Lauderdale had a FF, loaded in Marine Edition. All Teak inside, Seats were like a luxory yacht, $465 K , absolutely stunning ! However, i have always had drop tops and love the Cali !

7. Mrross27

Mrross27 Karting

Apr 21, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I saw that one online, stunning and different but the sticker is well above what I am looking for.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    FF stands for Freakin' Fantastic.

9. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I love that car.

10. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Heres another question to answer: will you keep this car away from the foul weather and bad roads during the winter because its a Ferrari? If yes, then that negates a lot of what seems alluring now. If no, then get a set of snow wheels and winter tires and off you go :)

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    That is a tough choice .. I love the California .. and have driven the FF and truthfully drives awesome .. If you like the FF sounds like a fair deal but if you really like the convertible you may regret it.. ...
    glad I live 200 miles from a ferrari dealer probably saves me a lot of money...(LOL)

12. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Can we see some pictures of this FF here?
    That would be great!

I would keep the Cali, and buy a BMW 750i xdrive for winter.
    Or, go for the old Panamera GTS (has 430hp and all wheel drive). May be double the price of the bmw xdrive but still a lot cheaper than a Ferrari FF.
    The sound of the GTS is awesome! (really)
    But the price of used 750i xdrive is awesome too. :)

13. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    I think this is spot on. The other alternative is to move to an area with a pleasant climate and plenty of twisty roads. :)

14. Mrross27

Mrross27 Karting

Apr 21, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Given the climate and the roads in Chicago i wouldn't drive the car year round regardless. I live downtown so my commute in quite short. I assume i would use the FF more than the Cali overall though.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think if you have other cars and this is really about having a Ferrari, you need to really go where your heart tells you. Sometimes its exciting to try something new. Would the dealer allow you to have the car for a little more time?

In my case, Ferraris are more of a special car so having one that I would use all the time in every kind of weather would diminish the experience for me. This is really into subjective territory so there is no objective right or wrong answer. It's all about what inspires you. These are all well made machines.

16. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  17. Wantochamole

Wantochamole Karting

Apr 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Phil W.
    Ross, I also live in downtown Chicago and have considered trading up my 599 for the FF for similar reasons. My $0.02 is to make the trade, especially after the winter we have had.

18. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    love the ff.
    however, the panamara gives much more bang for the buck than the ff, imho.

19. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Possibly but the Panamara will put you to sleep, the Ferrari will stir your soul, this from a guy that owned three 928's that were cool in their time but nothing compared to cars of today :)

Rick

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yes. Move out of Illinois. Keep the California. If you move to someplace with snow buy something like a Subaru Forester Turbo for bad roads. can be had for less than trading in the Cali on an FF.

Taxes in Illinois are outrageous. Especially real estate taxes. got out in 2006 and could not be happier.

Best

21. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Personally I wouldn't do it. You're thinking about getting out of one Ferrari and into another, for the reason of not driving it in bad weather. Since thats the case I think you should drive the Cali in all weather conditions except for snow.

The difference here comes down to the all wheel drive, which I understand. In the northeast we also have bad winters (especially this one) and the need for a snow vehicle is a must. I however, would not choose the FF for that duty.

The next sunny warm day that comes along will consist of you smacking your head against the wheel wishing you could drop the top :)

FF is fantastic---but I think the current weather is swaying you more than anything at the moment.

Wait until the warm weather arrives. At that point the FF will probably be discounted slightly from where it is now and the Cali will command roughly similar figures.

22. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Yes. Move out of IL THEN decide what FCar you want. First things first.

If you end up in a sunny fair weather place, keep your retractable hardtop or get a T. But if you want an unbelievable V12 that will be the best car you ever had, get an FF.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A good 4x4 pickup truck will beat the FF hands-down for true Winter driving. The FF is a toy and you should treat it as a toy. There were numerous white-outs in my area over the last few days, huge pile-ups of up to 100 cars, trucks and rigs.

You wouldn't want to be in an FF if your Winters are like ours in the NE. That's why my other car is a California. A 4x4 truck and a California are perfect garage buddies in the NE. Midwest winters aren't that different from the ones we have here.

24. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Want a toy for real snow, porsche cayenne turbo s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

25. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    The FF is an amazing car. I have seat time in both. The cali is fun, but the FF is a v12 grunt head twisting luxo cruiser like none other. Top rated in my book!!!