A true alternative instead of a dyno run? | FerrariChat

A true alternative instead of a dyno run?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ar_es, Feb 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares
    #1 ar_es, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good afternoon guys!
    I was trying to figure out if there could be a legit alternative instead of a dyno run.
    I'm talking about a plug&play kit for the F430.
    It SHOULD get the main values through the control unit (ECU) after being plugged into the OBDII connector under the steering "column".
    There's a "rude" block diagram attached. (Only for showing off ;))
    So: this is a plug/play for both the F430 (Scud or nor) but mine is a '06 one.
    It should be able to record those values too (on the software I suppose).
    I never tried something like that and I don't even know if it could be reliable or not.
    I wonder if those values could be compared to the "normal" ones. (I mean "speedometer" speed etc.)
    What do you guys think about this?
    Does anyone ever tried that?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares
    Anyone who tried that "device"? :( My confidential mechanic told me that is reliable

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk.

3. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    If you think about how these devices work, they're fairly reasonable approximations. All a dyno is doing is measuring power at the wheels in the form of revolutions of the roller. The electronics attached to the roller then perform various corrections based on input constants to take a guess at how much power would be required to have produced that physically observed result.

This device you linked to, or the "dyno apps" available on smart phones and tablets, do the same thing. They measure how rapidly a vehicle moved from point A to point B (as tracked by the GPS in the case of the apps) and determine how much power that would have required based on inputs. The way the ECU attached devices would work (plugged into the OBD2 port) would be to measure time spent at specific RPMs and specific speeds and, again, estimate power by applying corrections.

The thing to keep in mind is "garbage in, garbage out". In other words the correction factors need to be accurate or the results are worthless:

1 - drivetrain loss
    2 - vehicle weight
    3 - environmental conditions

A physical dyno takes 1 out of the equation since the workflow calls for the car to be run in one gear (from start to redline).

It's a complex topic, and too much to cover here, but if you study the physics of how an engine makes power, transfers that power to the wheels, which then causes the wheels to rotate resulting in motion at the transfer point (movement of the car along the road) then it will start to make sense.

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    My ScanTool software and OBD reader tool incorporate a "virtual" dyno. You can program the vehicle specifics, weight, gear ratios, final drive etc and then go for a run. It produces a graph for both HP and Torque. Whether or not it's in any way accurate I have no idea.

5. ar_es

ar_es Formula 3

Jun 6, 2013
    Rome
    Full Name:
    Ares
    Hello!
    I think the only problem for me is the "language barriers".
    I partly caught what you mean, it's not a problem for me to understand how an engine makes power.
    That's only slightly harder for me because of the technical meanings (not in my language).
    But.. That device is going to "earn" informations from the ECU, how can be the result reasonable if the ECU flashed on my car it's not "stock"?
    I don't know which ECU is flashed on, I only know that my mechanic told me "That device is only compatible with '08 or earlier models". Mine is a '06 one.
    By the way I didn't mean an app for smartphones.
    It has 13 functions (on the exit, I mean).
    I know that the final results depend on several factors.
    Since I don't know which ECU is flashed on, what should I do? RE-flash it?
    Yeah, I was talking about that!
    But the only one that I've seen, it's a little bit different and it's NOT going to show a graph for HP/Torque.
    There are 13 channels on it.
    I'm still trying to figure out, but they told me that it's reliable.
    But I think that I'll have to re-flash the ECU, I can't risk.
    Mine is a '06 model and it's not compatible with that (only '08 or earlier).

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Some engine manufacturers use a similar method in production: instead of hooking each engine up to a dyno they start it and check the free-wheeling acceleration.