F430 Angel Parking Lights DIY | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F430 Angel Parking Lights DIY

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Apr 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    looks great much easier with the bulb swap than the led strip

2. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    will definitely do this on my car too ... does anyone know how long will those LED bulbs last?

will any type of BA9s LED bulb work on this?

3. Rpalomo

Rpalomo Rookie

Oct 8, 2012
    CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Palomo
    should last quite a bit- i have them on all my cars now as my lic. plate light as well as my interior lighting...i believe it will even outlast the regular bulbs

4. Smaug

Smaug Karting

May 9, 2011
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I just swapped out my H6W incandescent bulbs for a pair of the LED bulbs recommended by Rpalomo, and I will say it is a vast improvement. Thanks, Rpalomo, for the suggestion. It took me about 40 minutes to do both bulbs, and I did not remove the wheels.

Directly swapping bulbs represented a good compromise for me, but the results are inferior to those Trent obtained using LED strips running down the entire length of the lens. If you have the knowledge, dexterity, and patience, I would recommend using the LED strips.

One think I will note is that a fair amount of dexterity is definitely required, especially if the wheels are not removed. Reaching into the wheel well, up through the access panel and back down to the position light socket requires some bending in ways the human hand was not intended to bend. I am amazed that anyone has successfully installed the LED strips without removing the wheels. That said, I have 10 thumbs, so no one should benchmark against my successes and failures :)

5. Will175

Will175 Rookie

Nov 21, 2012
    Awesome DIY lighting improvement. The LED bulbs are hit and miss on how long they last. I actually still have LEDs from the linked website that are still working from 3 years ago. haha.

I also bought LEDs off of Amazon and Ebay for my S1rr and other cars/trucks. 90% of them work amazing. Had a couple go out after about 3-4 months. No biggies since they are really cheap.

Aloha,
    Will

6. stremer

stremer Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Rancho Santa Fe
    Full Name:
    John
    I am ready for an install. Has anyone had any issues or supplemental recommendations?

J

7. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Not really. Just remember to taper the end of the strip so it slides in with ease. And have a few spare 5amp fuses handy. I blew one during my first attempt. Thats about it. Good luck.

8. vantage78

vantage78 Karting

Apr 1, 2007
    Just picked up on this older thread. Did you have to disconnect the battery as recommended in the manual before you changed out the bulbs? Thanks!

9. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    For the bulbs you will be fine with the battery connected, but for the LED strips you had better or be OK with finding and changing the fuse for the parking lights.

...when in doubt just flip off the master switch under the front hood, just make sure you have the radio code!

10. Cm09578

Cm09578 Karting

May 5, 2013
    MD Eastern Shore
    I have done just the LED bulb and the light is not bright enough for me. I want to see how much brighter the led strip is.....my question is, where do you solder the wire to the H6W bulb? Does anyone have a picture of this? Thanks!

11. Cm09578

Cm09578 Karting

May 5, 2013
    MD Eastern Shore
    Anyone?

12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #63 Trent, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you cant look at a H6W and know where to solder, may I recommend that you get someone else to do it. The H6W is an industry standard and and yields 10k pages of datasheets and the like in "google".

If you do it yourself, make sure you have several spare fuses ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Cm09578

Cm09578 Karting

May 5, 2013
    MD Eastern Shore
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

14. Cm09578

Cm09578 Karting

May 5, 2013
    MD Eastern Shore
    Trent, when soldering the red wire to the H6W bulb, did you solder the wire to the "attached" filament in the center of the H6W bulb or did you remove the filament from the base inside center and solder the red wire directly to the base of the bulb?

I soldered to the attached filament today and it works, just worried if it will hold....

15. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    I removed the filament, then soldered to the very end post of the bulb base.

16. Cm09578

Cm09578 Karting

May 5, 2013
    MD Eastern Shore
    Thanks! I will do the right side that way. I completed the left side today...it looks incredible!

TIP: To prevent flexing and having the rubber tube bunch up I wrapped the tube with 1 thin layer of clear packaging tap. It prevented flexing and allowed me the slid the tube all the way to the end without an issue. I did blow 3 fuses though on the install...haha

17. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Great job, this is a hard DIY, glad you stuck with it.

3 fuses; LOL, your a big person for admitting to such.

Take some pics of the final install LRED strip on in dim lighting. Would love to see them.

18. Cm09578

Cm09578 Karting

May 5, 2013
    MD Eastern Shore
  19. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #70 conscom, Mar 18, 2014
    Hi Trent. I just acquired my new ride, a 2007 F430 and wanted to get started right away on installing the LED strips to replace the H6W position lights. I even ordered the strips in advance but upon opening the inspection cover on the passenger side, I noticed that the socket (far right) has 4 wires and doesn't seem to budge when turned counter clockwise. Any suggestions. I didn't want to proceed further by removing the wheel. I've attached a photo for your reference. Thx for any advice you can offer. Gary

20. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Is the same procedure to change the stock bulb to LED bulb on a scuderia?

21. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    #72 Trent, Mar 18, 2014
    The 4+ purple wire socket is your HID interface. It will give you a bit of a shock, I recommend not messing with it.

You missed step #10 from the first page of the DIY:
    "10. Remove parking light cover, which is a rubber cap (this is all covered quite nicely in A1)"

Maybe its a Rubber Plug. Just grab and pull, maybe with a twist, I don't recall.

Here is a graphic:

22. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Trent. Thx for identifying the position light socket and avoiding a potential nasty shock! On hindsight, if I had taken the wheel off, I may have located the black plug. Well, weekday project coming up after arming myself with spare fuses and a couple of H6W bulbs. Many thanks.

23. MolsonB

MolsonB Karting

Jun 9, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    After a few years, how are they holding up? Any burnt out from being over powered or from heat?

24. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Very cool modification. Thanks for documenting.