Demand for US 599 GTOs | FerrariChat

Demand for US 599 GTOs

Discussion in '612/599' started by werewolf, Mar 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
  2. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    #2 speed racer, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    Interesting article.....NO SOUP FOR YOU!!. I think there is still a bad taste ( pun intended) in NHTSA's mouth over the grey importation of Ferrari's that took place during the 80's and early 90's and the fly by night companies that sprang up to do the conversions from European to U.S. spec's.
    As for me I am one of the lucky guys that happens to own a GTO and I have absolutely no intention of selling mine. I don't see this petition going anywhere nor am i happy about latecomers trying to complete an endrun around gov't regs. diluting the price valuation of my car by flooding the market with GTO's that weren't specifically built for the U.S.
    What exotic is next .....and where does it end? I don't think the Fed's want to open that can of worms. You want to buy a U.S spec'd GTO pay the asking price for one of the 130 599GTO's that were legally imported into this country or find something else to spend your money on. Just don't take money out of my back pocket. Werewolf and i already have ours. Best of luck finding yours.

3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I owned a gray market 512BB. By the time it was fully decked out with bumpers and smog stuff, it weighed 200 lb more and was down 30 hp from a Euro Boxer. It passed gov specs alright but (confession) I "restored" it to Euro standards. Maybe it is that kind of thing that the government is reacting to. Or it is just being the central government that it is.

4. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Gray market Ferraris are worth a lot less then the legitimate ones. There are at least five GTOs on the market right now and they come on quite regularly, so there doesn't seem to be any shortage of them around.

There is a lot more regulation for US cars though. We pay for it.

5. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Agreed. The premise of the article is all wrong. They want to bring them in to try and make some money as they're worth less overseas.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of GTOs if you have $500K for one...

6. g4titan

g4titan Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 6, 2010
    Around
    Full Name:
    Nico
    There is a shortage unless you're not picky...

7. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Plenty of good cars out there if you know where/how to look and don't mind paying a premium

8. 360Grigiotitanio

360Grigiotitanio Formula Junior

May 17, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    There was a dozen or so last time I looked. Red, black, white, silverstone, blues and even a yellow that recently sold. They are all in the same ballpark price, $500K or so plus or minus maybe $20K except the occasional outlier.

The prices seem to be holding pretty well like the Challenge Stradalles did. If someone is serious in looking for one they are certainly around to be bought.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #9 Hawkeye, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    #10 ttn27, Apr 24, 2014
    Your twin at a recent C&C Ferrari event at Sid Mashburn in Houston :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #11 Patek, Apr 24, 2014
  12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed