Recommendation For Finishing Up Instrument Rating | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Recommendation For Finishing Up Instrument Rating

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by juliei, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #26 alexm, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Sorry.. but really?

A (rare) female member, pilot, and business owner and you come on and say THAT?

As to the other "fight" now spread across 2 unrelated threads now.. can you guys duke it out in a dedicated thread maybe?

It's not often I want to say these things and criticise other posts.. but I'd hoped for better in this section of the site at least.

Edit: <snip> Done

2. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    #27 88Testarossa, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Oh oh
    I deleted the quoted text
    Sorry

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Omg what have I done. I've got to stop drinking during working hours. Please accept my sincere apology at this very immature post and please delete your post to eliminate all traces of my stupid stupid STUPIDITY on parade! It was dumb, immature, and so Andrew Dice Clay of me.....

4. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ok. Well what do you guys want to talk about then?

*crickets*

5. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Quantum physics might make for an interesting change (smile)

Maybe get a plasma physicist buddy of mine to join the fray? LOL

Looks like you have a sense of humor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. GaryC430

GaryC430 Karting

Aug 7, 2013
    OH, SC, NY
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Jas, I did what you did. Powered through ratings. I was lucky to have a laid off 15,000 hour Airbus captain as my mentor/instructor through four planes. In the end, they can't be with you on every approach to mins. You have to experience that on your own at some point, and we both have.

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sooooo, how the weather been in Atlanta..?

8. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My story about powering through wasn't about me thinking I'm a bad ass. I devoted the time to do it and got it done. It's not hard if you do it this way. I have friends that have been working on PPL for a year or more because they go once a week. You can't do this. I believe in "total immersion" if you want to learn something new

The OP asked how to finish IFR rating after he's already done with the written..... Well hell, the worst is behind you. Take a few more lessons and do the check ride. This doesn't take a special school. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I understand my response rubbed some folks the wrong the way. But I also understand lots of folks on Fchat are thin skinned. ;-)

9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    WHAT, THIN SKINNED"???WHAT YOU MEAN THIN SKINNED???? IM NOT THIN SKINNED!!!!!!

he he

;)

10. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Better explanation Jason. I do applaud you goal setting and persistence.
    You remind me of someone very close to me :)

And we all know that the Internet isn't the best interpersonal communication tool around.

11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #36 ylshih, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    My personal experience with PIC was published here...

IFR Cram Course Diary - AVweb Features Article

I also got my PPL in about 6-8 weeks to my recollection (September to November 1996). I built hours in November to January and took the PIC course in February 1997. To get my PPL, I just flew daily for an hour or two and and I considered debrief an important part of the process. If you fly too long without break or debrief, I think you have a high chance of ingraining bad habits or reinforcing mistakes. The PIC course was more intense (4-6 hours per day of flying, interspersed with 2-3 breaks) than the PPL process, but I also highly valued the long experience that the PIC instructor brought, which included the assistance of dealing with an engine failure and return to airport after takeoff. Plus he had interesting stories to tell that a young kid wouldn't have. :)

12. OldSlowpoke

OldSlowpoke Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Whether you are still training for the rating or want a way to practice cheaply to remain proficient after you earn the rating, you can get a lot of benefit from a good simulator. I have an Elite system, with an Elite Pro Panel SE for the yoke and power quadrant and an Elite Avionics Panel 3000 for the radio controls. Having knobs and buttons is much better than using the mouse on the screen to tune frequencies. I like my Elite system, but there are other good ones as well.

You can program in such factors as turbulence, wind, instrument and engine failures, and actual destinations all over the country, in addition to ceiling and visibility appropriate to the approaches you want to practice. You can choose configurations for many common airplanes. They don't have an Aerostar, so on the sim I fly a Seneca. If you can fly the simulator well, you should do very well with the actual airplane.

I agree with others on this thread that the instrument rating is a great advantage in making personal aviation practical. But I recommend tackling real IMC gradually. Start by setting personal minimums fairly high, and when you get comfortable with them, reduce them in small increments.

There are a couple of publications that offer lots of good practical advice on IFR flying: IFR and IFR Refresher, both published by Belvoir Aviation Group.

Good luck with the training, and be safe.

Bill

13. VS1

VS1 Karting

Oct 16, 2002
    Beavercreek, OH
    Full Name:
    Vishal Soin
    I used PIC back in 1997 to do my instrument rating. It was effective, but keep in mind it makes you competent. Proficiency comes with experience so the advice to set personal minimums is a very good one until you gain confidence in your proficiency level. Would I do it again, absolutely. It's a bit like getting a type rating, quick and intense.