348 Heater Control Valve Motor Fault (E5) | FerrariChat

348 Heater Control Valve Motor Fault (E5)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 348uk, Feb 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My heater control panel is displaying the fault code E5. I have checked and this relates to the heater control valve motor. I have removed the front compartment lining and have gained access to the heater control system. When operating the heater control temperature on the control panel (before it locks out and displays E5) the motor doesn't respond to any temperature that I dial in to the control panel. I have check the wiring plug that is attached to the motor and none of the wiring light up my test light.

Is anybody able to tell me how to check the wiring for this component or which terminals to connect a live and negative feed to see if the motor will operate?

Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so, what remedial action cured the fault?

I have plugged another heater control panel in to my car and it is still the same, thus eliminating a panel fault.

I look forward to some suggestions !

2. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Ciao Andy!

Seen the problem, I guessed it was you. Ckeched the profile, seen the beast and then I was sure!
    I am not able to help as you know already, but wish you good luck: you deserve it.

Ciao

Eugenio

3. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Have you gone into the diagnostic mode to see if you can get the valve to operate?

Paul

4. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Ciao Eugenio !

Just had the alarm fitted, got hold of a new ashtray and gearlever panel, new bonnet and hood struts, new front discs and pads, so it's coming together !

Just need to get this heater problem sorted.

I will touch base with you during the week !

PS Thanks for the reply, you were my first !!

Your friend Andy

5. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Hi Paul,

I have taken the motor off the valve and the valve moves freely by hand.

I'm not aware of any other diagnostic mode, tell me more please.

6. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill

Do you have a fax? - I can fax over the details I have in the service manual.

Cheers

Paul

7. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi Paul,

I've just sent you an email.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Many thanks
    Andrew

8. 348uk

348uk Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Has anybody else experienced this fault with their 348 ?

If so, what cured it?

Andrew

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Have you checked to see if there are any blow fuses? Look on the passenger side of the car. Check the little green connectors on the side of the blower box, there are two. Then take a look at the other ones that are mounted on the passenger side wheel well. There should be four of them. Check to make sure that the connectors are clean and properly connected. The other thing you may want to look at is behind the control panel inside the car. You are gonna have to remove the face, but that is no big deal. What you are checking is to make sure that the connector on the control unit is also clean and connected properly. I couldn't get my heater to shut off when I first got the car. It turned out that the control unit wasn't connected properly inside the car. Here's what you do to do to get behind the control pannel inside the car.

1) open the ashtray take out the insert, remove the screw on the bottom, and take the ashtray out

2) remove the two screws on the shift gate, lift the shift gate up and slide back the cover that the gate was on. It is the cover that has the door lock and fuel door buttons on it

3) then grab the bottom of the pannel and slide it down a bit. Then grab the top and bottom of the control pannel and gentley pop it out. There are no screws holding it in place, it is only held in place with pressure. You may want to open the sides of the center unit a bit with one hand, to make it easier to pop the console out.

4) now that you have it out you can check to see if everything is hooked up properly

Hope this helps

10. 95AgSpid

95AgSpid Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I have had the E8 code where A/C panel defaults to fresh air only - blower motor still works but makes winter driving an experience. Previous posts advised this could be caused by cavitation and one should make sure the anti-freeze levels are maintained. Anyone else have this issue? (95 348 Spider)