Help Please with Ticking Sound on my 430 | FerrariChat

Help Please with Ticking Sound on my 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by chinesejpl, May 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    #1 chinesejpl, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what is wrong with my car. Recently only on cold starting I've been hearing a ticking sound coming from my engine that is Rev dependent. It gets quieter as the car warms up and is completely gone by about 30sec. Then I don't hear it anymore unless I restart the car from cold (i.e. several hours of rest). If the engine is still warm and I restart it then there is no ticking sound. It sounds like a sticky valve lifter but I've read of some people saying they heard ticking sounds prior to their header failing!

Background: my car is a 2005 and had the original headers changed in 2009 under warranty (on the service record it reads "check engine light on...exhaust manifold re and re or replace of both"). I'm not sure if the original failed as I am the second owner but I do have the service record showing the replacement. Unfortunately, it doesn't say whether it was changed to a mk2 header, although in 2009 I suspect it will be mk2. Over the last year I've also been noticing some white powder in my engine bay and a high pitched rattling noise at about 3k rpm, especially in 3rd gear. I recently had my car serviced at my local dealership for harsh vibrations and a CEL warning and my dealer told me one of the cylinders were misfiring and they changed the spark plugs and an intake manifold gasket (they did a smoke test after changing the plugs and found the gasket leak leading them to change the gasket). This was about 1.5 months ago and the car ran perfectly. I asked them about the rattling noise on acceleration and they told me it was my muffler (the silencer can was moving freely side to side) and I had fixed by tack welding the muffler so it didn't move anymore. They also told me that the white powder in my engine bay was from this muffler moving around and true enough when I banged on the silencer (prior to tack welding and with it out of the car) white powder came out of it. It is about 4-5 weeks after this that I started noticing the ticking sound on cold start, which happens consistently on cold starts.

Anybody have this happen to them? Does anybody have any ideas what this is? I have a reputable indie shop that I get most of my maintenance stuff done but the last servicing (plugs and gasket) was done at the dealership as my indie didn't have an SD3 scanner to read the CEL error codes. Should I take it to my dealer or indie? Any way this is related to work recently done at my dealer?

Hope it isn't anything serious. Thanks all for your input.

JP

2. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Could be a leak in one of the manifolds that closes up when the metal expands. I would get them smoke tested and if there's a leak get some aftermarket headers without the pre-cats.

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    How loud is the ticking? I hear a slight ticking from mine as well and my headers have been changed also to MKII's. Kind of sounds like ticking from valve lifters when I had my old Camaro. Is any ticking normal? How many miles since your headers where changed?

4. John NY-Naples

John NY-Naples Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    New York
    I believe the ticking is an indication that the headers are failing.

5. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    On first cold start ticking is quite loud and then goes away after about 30 sec. I'll try getting it checked ASAP but I hope it isn't the headers again.

6. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Like John said, I've heard that too that ticking can be headers. I'd get it checked out as it is odd if goes away, I'm not sure if the header ticking problem goes away when warm.

7. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    If your headers are failing you should smell it...since gases escape before pre-cats you can smell it ....have someone start your car, open the engine bay and look/ breathe close to your engine...if there are cracs in your headers gases can escape from there before heat closes them up.

8. egi

egi Rookie

Jun 6, 2010
    Mine did this as well so I sent it to the Ferrrari service center. After flushing the oil, and having a little bit less ticking, they concluded that the tappets were at fault (NOT the exhaust manifold). Upon bringing down the engine and opening it up, they found one tappet that is clicking. Just to be sure though, I've already ordered headers as well and will install it while the engine is outside the car.

Here's a video of the ticking sound of my car:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCkvfpghVpg

9. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    Does anybody know if the replacement manifolds will still be covered if they were replaced by my dealer in 2009? I know the original manifolds are covered for 8 years but what about the replacement ones? I'm going to call my dealer tomorrow but just wondering if anybody has had experience with the failing of a second manifold.

10. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    I understand that the US 8 year federal emission warranty applies from date of original sale of the car for US cars in the US.

11. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    How come you don't want o look into it possibly being valve noise? Your description fits--noise matches revs and goes away after warm up.....how is your motor oil?

12. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    Im hoping for this to be a valve noise but am preparing for manifold issue. Oil was just changed 2.5 months ago and recently checked.

13. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
    manifolds ...

14. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    Im hoping for this to be a valve noise but am preparing for manifold issue. Oil was just changed 2.5 months ago and recently checked.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    your hoping its a valve noise?

16. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    My vote is for the manifolds. Not sure on the 430 but on the 355 (had one) if you drive too far on the headers like that it would create cylinder wash from it running too rich on that cylinder and scuff the cylinder liners. You can imagine it goes downhill from there.

17. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'd like to know the definitive answer to this as well. Mine were changed in 2011...2500 miles ago.

18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Have you thought of the intake butterfly valves. According to Voicey these can make a noise similar to a tappet -- see extract from his blog below.
    Alan

"The valves inside the inlet manifold can become noisy which is often often wrongly thought to be noisy tappets or injectors. If you have a noisy top end then a simple way to check if the intake valves are the source of the noise is to manually operate them. The actuator lever can be accessed by reaching down between the intakes of cylinders 2 & 3 or 6 & 7. Pull the lever towards the outside of the car – if the noise stops then the valves are the origin of the noise."

19. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    my car is going to my dealer tomorrow and spending the night there for them to try and figure out the problem. I'll have a better idea on Wednesday but I've already ordered a set of capristo brackets and will likely order either fabspeed or capristo headers...even if it doesn't end up being the headers I just don't want to have this worry again! Plus, it'll be fun changing out my manifolds...I think :)

Thanks all for your input. I'll keep this post updated.

20. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    #20 MVDESQ, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    Don't you live in Canada from your profile? Do they have emissions testing there? Won't those aftermarket headers cause a CEL? If so I'd do some research unless you live in place like FL with no emissions testing.

21. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Was this a CPO? Shouldn't be covered under a CPO warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.

Not all CPO cars have a Factory warranty. Not like a BMW. Also a 2005 is only eligible for PowerTrain. Depends on the issue if the problem would be covered. We don't even know what his issue is yet.

23. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    Yes, I live in Vancouver, BC. From what I've read CEL is a random issue that cannot be predicted and the fabspeed headers now ship with O2 sensors. Good point about emissions testing, though...I'll have to look into that...anybody else here have experience with this?

24. vlagana

vlagana Rookie

Apr 12, 2013
    close to Laguna Seca
    My 07 had the same symptoms. .... Manifolds cracked and replaced noise is now gone.

25. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Dont worry about emission testing,aircare comes to an end dec 2014