1980 GTBi question | Page 4 | FerrariChat

1980 GTBi question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Frisky, May 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! I too own a 308GTBi and love it. Be prepared for a little bit of hate here as many consider the 1980-1982 2v models the lowest of the lot, but I certainly love mine. I've had it 8 years and prefer the injection over carbs for ease of use, and I use it on public roads, going to Starbuck's or running errands, it starts with the touch of the key and never let me down yet. I had a carb car before and it was way more difficult to keep running smooth, adjusted the carbs for hot/cold and humid/dry weather. Don't expect to win any races, but you'll turn heads in a beauty show! As for the lack of horsepower, because you're sitting so low, and these cars really do hook up extremely well for the low-ish power, they FEEL faster than they are and on public roads, that's a GREAT thing! You can have tons of fun tossing it around near it's limit while barely breaking the law, sweet! Imagine a newer, more expensive, faster car that corners quicker and try having as much fun while keeping your driver's license! No,308s are the greatest, enjoy!!!
    (just my opinion as a guy who never tracks a car and really doesn't want to pay for a newer, more expensive, faster car)

2. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    As another happy owner of a 308 GTBi, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I believe that the speaker mounts are aftermarket on the back shelf.

As for the headliner, there's an inexpensive way and a cheap way to do this, notwithstanding the advice that a former president of the local Ferrari club gave me a few years ago: cut a broom handle to the length equal to the distance between the passenger seat and roof and jam it in between there to prop it up. He was probably kidding.

What worked for me was to buy some spray adhesive with a very small tube that inserts in the nozzle. Gently part the fibers of the woven fabric headliner, spray it as evenly as possible onto the fiberglass underliner, then press the fabric back into place and hold it there long enough for it to readhere. Be careful about applying more than necessary, as it can stain the fabric.

Less work, arguably better results, and much more expensive is taking it to an interior shop and having a whole new headliner professionally installed. The downside is that you will probably be able to get a fabric that is close but which does not match exactly.

BTW, if your cats are original to the car, they may need replacing now or soon. When you do replace them, I recommend Hyper-Flow, which are less restrictive and a better catalytic converter than OEM all the way around. It may just be my imagination, but I swear I detected an increase in power with them as well.

3. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark
    Thanks for the Awesome tips! I never thought of going through the piling. That will allow doing a little bit at a time which great for refitting.

4. mcfarlin

mcfarlin Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike McFarlin
    #79 mcfarlin, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark
    Your is beautiful! From the picture it looks like the hood louvers are the original red, but it could be the picture angle. What number is yours? Mine is 32485.

6. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #81 Bradley, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Frisky

Frisky Karting

Apr 26, 2014
    MA
    Full Name:
    Rolfe Lofmark
    It's a beauty! I like the silver. What year and number?
    Is the side ferrari sticker original?

8. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    no i love my 308 even if it's just a 2 valve. advance the ignition (aftermarket) and it's no slower than a qv, and easier to work on. and both are no dragsters. jon s

9. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    1982, #33925

That's not actually a "sticker," but an OEM shield from a 288 GTO. NO 308's came with them originally.

(There's a debate in the 308 section here somewhere about whether to put the shield on a 308. Not something you should do if you're a stickler for originality, or if you have a pristine, low-mileage fiberglass or carbed 308. But what I have is a very handsome "Driver," and I like the shields!)

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I went to a Wal Mart and picked up one of those big football team car door magnets, stuck two of those shields on it and cut them out.

Now I can add/remove the shields depending on my mood that day.

11. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Clever and easy way to make it versatile!

The idea of magnetic shields ocurred to me after I got them installed. (Wouldn't work well for me, though, now, since I'd have to grind the bolt threads off the back of the shields, and they're indented - or "frenched" - into the fender now.)