F40 LM Restoration | Page 99 | FerrariChat

F40 LM Restoration

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Traveller, Jan 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Pump gas

2. Swobber

Swobber Karting

Mar 25, 2014
    Id swap the injectors first. ASNU injectors are highly regarded. ASNU High Performance Injectors
    Are fuelpressure dropping at the current power level?

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Injector duty cycles may be the culprit or a single FPR may not be able to keep up with the requirements of two banks of cylinders? Just shooting in the dark.

4. 89forever

89forever Rookie

Aug 18, 2013
    UK
    lovely build, followed it from the single digit pages...
    check back everyday for an update

On your fuelling issue, your tuner should be able to suggest all avenues for more fuel for your build.
    Injectors shouldn't be taken beyond 85% duty cycle really... so aim for a larger injector to cope with that. Motec should be able to offer advice also.
    As has already been said a higher rated fuel pressure regulator can fuel injector duty cycle limits. Say your car is running a 3bar reg, then you can increase it to 4bar for increased fuelling for example.
    There is nothing magic about fuel injectors, there are loads that compatible with various cars which have larger capacities... just a case of finding one which is suitable.

HTH's

5. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2455 Traveller, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions and we are looking at a way forward with a number of sources. Ben at Carolina Dyno certainly seems to have a proven solution but then I would like, if possible, to stay original and need to establish what the Michelotto cars ran which brings up the nightmare spectre of chasing CM for an answer. I have to say I am delighted with where we are as it seems from what the Dyno man says we have a real screamer on our hands and whilst I will probably never need the extra power or be able to use its full potential, I want to know it is there for those who might be able to better exploit it for a Banzai lap.

A few shots at the tuners.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2456 Traveller, Jun 16, 2014
  7. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2457 Traveller, Jun 16, 2014
  8. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2458 Traveller, Jun 17, 2014
  9. leon1981

leon1981 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Leon Chiu
    #2459 leon1981, Jun 17, 2014
  10. Carolina Dyno

Carolina Dyno Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    #2460 Carolina Dyno, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Tim,

You should probably look into a couple things on your car, first if it's actually 2.9l still. If it is in fact a 2.9l something is out of place. You may have an issue with the calibration of your map sensor or possibly the dyno is just set to read extremely high. I'm sure the car makes great power as you have some pretty good turbo's and a pretty well designed system however the posted numbers are well beyond what's physically possible on a 2.9l engine.

Two garret GTX3071r turbos running in their peak efficiency island of 77% (in reality the compressor map has them around 70%) running on a 110% volumetric efficient motor (possible but unlikely) with a 0psi intercooler pressure drop (physically impossible) would only make 545hp given the lowest brake specific fuel consumption ever recorded by a standard turbocharged IC engine (which it's obviously not).... The F40 has a great engine but it's not breaking any laws of physics.

If the map sensor is indeed calibrated incorrectly you could end up in a very dangerous situation when you go to turn the boost up. If it's just the dyno set to read extremely high there's really nothing to worry about but you won't be getting an accurate number.

For reference we have built a very similar setup with the only differences being slightly lower compression, bigger turbos, more effecient intercoolers, and better headers. We only see 655hp on 1.5bar. Just to put it in perspective if you were to turn the boost up to 1.7bar which wouldn't be out of the question you would be making 960hp which is obviously not the case.

I hope I don't come across as negative as I only want to help but if you do indeed have a calibration error that will be extremely dangerous for obvious reasons, if it's just high dyno numbers it really sets up some unrealistic expectations for other owners that might try similar setups.

No doubt your car makes awesome power and will only get better as you turn the boost up and sort out your fuel issue. You will actually be moving towards the peak efficiency of those turbos as the boost goes up.

On another note, simply AMAZING mold work, you really found a great body/resto shop over there! I'm always interested to see body work of that caliber being done as it is definitely outside of my realm. It would be really cool to have them pop out some lightweight carbon replica panels, imagine how much weight you could shave.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    ^^^^ Great post, insight and advice.

12. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks Ben and we will look into it but given a stock car is reckoned to put out about 500 BHP, whilst I have no technical knowledge to match yours, looking at it logically to add 200 with everything we have does not seem such a stretch. The one piece of information I may have wrong as it is only what I was told, is that we were running such a low boost. It may be that was under estimated but not being there as I was travelling on business, I cannot yet validate.

Also, pre rebuild and with inferior turbos etc, it was putting out 725 as it raced, albeit at a higher boost.

The car will be back on the dyno in a couple of weeks with revised injectors and this time I will be there and I will be able to confirm what I have been told. The Dyno man, who has experience with F40's did say this motor just wanted to rev and rev and was very impressed with the engine build.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I was hoping someone would do the arithmetic, as 2.9 l displacement and 0.7 bar simply won't make 600 rwhp (over 700 at the flywheel), unless perhaps the engine is turning well over 8000 rpm. Yes, a stock F40 makes 500-ish hp, but that is not rear wheel hp and that is at about 1.5 bar.

The other troubling issue is that the injector duty cycle is "maxed," which surprises me, since I would have expected a basic calculation of expected power (here 750), fuel pressure, volumetric efficiency and brake specific fuel consumption. For example, this web site has a simple calculator:

RC Fuel Injection

running the basic calculator, and assuming .60 BSFC and 43.5 psi at the rails, tells me you want 8 injectors that will flow 71 lbs/hour or 750 cc/min. I want to say you ditched the 16 injector setup, since you are running MoTeC, but if for some reason you are running 16 injectors, you can reduce the size (I think back in the day 16 injectors were used since you could not get big injectors to run low enough duty cycle for decent idle and part throttle response off boost).

I run 750 cc/min injectors on one of my turbo race cars, and they are readily available and inexpensive, relatively speaking.

I really don't mean to be critical, but I have built, tuned and raced several turbo road race cars and the numbers bandied around are incorrect. I suspect it is a miscommunication along the line, as any good tuner will have a real good idea of turbocompressor map, expected boost levels, needed fuel pressure and flow rate, and injector size before the engine even fires.

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I don't know what revs we were turning but whatever, the computer said 604. I suspect the fault lies in the actual boost being higher than I was told and we may have been also revving higher. All will revealed next time I can actually attend, but any way I look at it, we seem to be getting great power.

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Will be a hoot on the country lanes around your homestead.

16. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #2466 Traveller, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    I was pondering this and Carolinas post and got to thinking how come the BMW and other F1 turbo era cars were putting out 1500 HP from 1.5 litres, albeit as a grenade, if these volumetric calculations are the full explanation? Also, as my car arrived at the shop, they were just driving away a Ford Fiesta 1.6 which produces 600! I am checking on our figures but currently feel pretty confident that I have been told correctly.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I must be one of the few that doesn't think the HP figure is impossible with the information Traveller gave us.

In the UK, this figure is not unheard of with engines of similar size and turbos and boost levels.

Considering the engine was used as a race engine before, it's not impossible that it has some very aggressive cams and timing etc on there. Things like low altitude, air temperature and even correct fan setup can have a big effect on the numbers.

On top of that, in the UK it's very easy to find 99 RON at the pump (just about any petrol station). In the States, where 93 is normally the highest, which is equivalent to ~97 octane in Europe.

There's a couple of incredible engine mappers in the UK (and to be fair, the few that I know are the only ones that I'd let touch my mapping, plenty of cowboys around).

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    2 litre 4 cylinder turbocharged ford cosworth road car engines here in the UK are topping 600 bhp easily these days, some built by the likes of Julian Godfrey for rallycross cars are nearing 1000 bhp and lasting a whole season, so Tims figures don't seem out of the ordinary in a higher capacity twin turbo engine.

19. lsmkr01

lsmkr01 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    VA
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    #2469 lsmkr01, Jun 18, 2014
    The questions came up when a boost level of only 0.7 bar was mentioned. Those cars you speak of (along with the BMW 1.5 turbo F1 car which ran 4.0 bar in 1987) run WAY WAY higher boost levels than that.

Not sure if you guys have ever seen the 1.5l turbo F1 engine in person but the turbo is about the same size as the engine with an intercooler that dwarfs them both. I took this photo at BMW in SC.

20. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    #2470 xku807, Jun 18, 2014
    The BMW M12/13 displayed at BMW Welt in Munich. Won Piquet the WDC in 1983 and was doing 1400-hp in qualifying trim by 1985/86, all from 1.5 liters. Needed trick fuel to do that.

21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Those engines themselves where tiny.

The turbos from the 80s F1 where around the same size, GT3076 equivalent, but with a tiny A/R. The engines ran with Tolouene mix capped at 102RON (so a bit more than the standard 99ron available anywhere in the UK).

So it wasn't like they strapped two GT60's to the side and put 116 octane in there.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    For the single turbos they where running ~GT40 size turbos.

Both where running with a crap load of boost (up to 5.5 bar) to get the massive quali numbers.

23. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    ...... and 11,000 to 13,000 rpm too! :p

24. Carolina Dyno

Carolina Dyno Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    You have to look at boost pressures in your volumetric calculations here, displacement means nothing without knowing charge pressure. No doubt your motor or even a smaller motor can make more power just not at boost levels that low. I have personally built multiple 1000hp+ 2.0l engines but they run drastically higher boost.

If you look at my post I already assumed better than possible numbers for volumetric efficiency, turbo efficiency, and BSFC which would require more than radical cams, it would require record breaking engineering on almost every component.

Again you're looking solely at displacement rather than boost pressure. If you take Tim's engine as an example this is how the math works. He is running .7bar of boost which is actually 1.7bar total (atmospheric pressure is 1 bar) 604hp/1.7= 355hp

This means Tim's engine should make 355hp with no turbos on it (actually more since bsfc would go down for an NA application). That would be 122WHP per liter. For comparison the Honda S2000 engine which is the highest hp/liter production engine ever produced barely makes 100WHP per liter and it has 11.7:1 compression, drastically better cylinder head design, camshafts with OVER 300 degrees duration, and revs to 9000rpm.

Sure the old F1 engines made tons of power on 1.5 liters but they also ran pre-heated toluene for fuel, revved to 13000+ rpm, ran 4+ bar, and were pure race bread by the greatest engineers of their time.

No doubt Tim's tuner is a good tuner or he wouldn't be working with such caliber cars and I'm not trying to take away from anything being done here but wide open throttle tuning is extremely simple. The mark of a good tuner is throttle response, transient tuning, part throttle drivability, fuel economy, etc. Wide open throttle tuning is by far the easiest part and no tuning black magic is going to break any laws of physics.

I feel bad for bringing any of this up because I didn't want to start something like this in such an awesome thread and I know every dyno reads different but unrealistic dyno numbers are a big pet peeve of mine. Here in the states we have lots of shops putting out crazy numbers taking business away from the honest guys and putting unrealistic expectations in customers heads. At the end of the day I sell track results not dyno numbers and my customers are always happy but on the internet people see these amazing numbers and assume that there is some mythical tuning god responsible that can extract 30% more power than anyone else. It's simply not the case.

I'll leave it with that as the math is posted and I want to see this thread get back on track, I apologize for derailing it.

25. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well the simple end to all of this is 'all' I am after is a reliable 700 with adjustability to 775/800 at the crank for a Banzai lap in more skilled hands than my own, and I think we can agree that should be well achieveable. We have decided we are changing all injectors to 16 x 400 CC which will enable us to increase boost and hopefully solve our fuel flow issues and then back to the dyno.

Tomorrow back to the moulds.