Looking into an F355...any Silicon Valley owners? | FerrariChat

Looking into an F355...any Silicon Valley owners?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by 8500rpm, May 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Hi all, I'm planning to meet and own my childhood hero, an F355. First, I must thank the many dedicated and generous members here on F-chat for educating me on looking for a well-sorted car.

Now that I know what to look for in theory, I would like to ask if there are any owners who would be willing to let me have a look and listen to their cars. What a healthy car should sound and feel like, cold and warm engine, etc. I'm in the San Jose area.

I understand we're all busy (my wife and I have a newborn baby too), so I'm open to dropping in on any meets you guys have if that's more convenient.

Many thanks in advance! Can't describe how excited and grateful I am to be at this position in life, and looking fwd to joining the 355 club.

Cheers,
    Chan

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 LT29i 發送

2. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
  3. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Thanks to the generous owners who took the time to show me their cars! Is there a minimum post count before I can put up a WTB on the Classified section?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 LT29i 發送

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    No, you have to subscribe to Silver or Rossa. Click on the tab above "Paid Subscriptions." $15 for one year.

5. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Thanks, subscribed & posted!!

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 LT29i 發送

6. Troomi

Troomi Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    bay area, ca
    Full Name:
    tariq
    post in the 355/348 section as well

-T

7. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Chan,
    good to meet you. Good Hunting... that is half the fun. It sounds like you have decent knowledge on what it takes to own and maintain one of these cars. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

8. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Does anyone know this car in Burlingame?

1998 Used Ferrari F355 GTS at Cammisa Automotive, Inc. Serving Burlingame, IID 11989220

It lived in California from 1998-2003, then New York from 2003-2009. Back in CA since 2009.

The seller does not have any service records, although the car had a major service done this past April (unknown affiliated mechanic).

Cosmetic condition seems to be excellent, but the lack of service documentation attached to the car puts me off.

Thanks in advance for any help!

9. Brigadelok

Brigadelok Karting

Jul 31, 2009
    San Anselmo, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Chan,

Apart from the lack of service records being a red flag in general, my 98 has a slightly later build date and needed both valve guides and headers before 20,000 miles. Without any documentation you're looking at a huge roll of the dice.

Jonathan

10. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    The GTS is the rarest of the 355s. With just 2,100 6 speeds produced and with the US getting 28% of total Ferrari production during the 90s, that makes this car one of less than 588 6 speed US spec cars and thus, it will command a premium. With that said, I wouldn't touch that car without a thorough PPI and a healthy price correction. 66K is too much money for this car. However, if it speaks to you and you want a GTS in this spec follow up on it. Just follow up on it knowing that A. It could be a complete basket case without service records and B. A 355 basket case is a brutally expensive PITA.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My gym is a mile from Camisa. I saw that car on the freeway driven by the owner of the dealer a few weeks ago. Very nice in person. As for lack of service record, that means you take a few thousand dollars off. As for valve guides, a compression and leak down test will tell.

12. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Thanks all. If I understand what has and has not been fixed on the car, I can make an appropriate offer. Headers, valve guides, cats, shock actuators, all of the typical 355 issues. I would not take on a messy car for my first F.

No response yet from the F dealer in NY, but I also posted in the SoCal section to hopefully find someone who owned or serviced it.

Thanks again for your help!

13. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    #13 8500rpm, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Update: A week ago I took delivery of my first F355 and first Ferrari.

A few people have been especially helpful and I have thanked them in private, but I should also extend my gratitude to all the others here who have provided me with tips and leads.

I'm normally quick to post updates on forums, but with a new child in the family things have become really busy at home. Basically, it's a 1998 F1 Berlinetta in the classic Rosso Corsa over tan interior. Tubi catback with a Capristo bypass valve replacing a faulty original.

I should have checked earlier, but found out this week that I have been doing casual driving on somewhat flat rear tires (25 psi). Will fix tomorrow morning.

What a beautiful car! A childhood dream come true.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Congratulations Chan. You've done all the research, now enjoy the heck out of it!

15. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    Awesome machine!!

16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    very nice. grats

17. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrats!

I'm in the same situation as Chan (happy to start my own thread), but I'm also interested in picking up my first Ferrari (also own a 993) and was wondering if anyone would be willing to meet up in the San Jose/Peninsula area (happy to drive and meet you!) at a time that works for you.

I'm specifically looking at a GTB or GTS and 6-speed. You're welcome to drive my 993 C4S if you're interested to check out a Porsche.

Thanks in advance!!

Chris

18. ferrari bud

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Anyone looking for an excuse to take a drive in their F355?! :D

19. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Hey Chris, sent you a PM. Cheers!

20. ferrari bud

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Channing for meeting up today! You have an awesome F355 and very much appreciate the time to take me for a ride and chatting all things F355. :)

I'd really love to meet someone who has a 6 speed locally as well. Anyone willing and available to meet this or next week?

Thanks again!

21. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Must pass on the generosity and hospitality that I received when I was searching for my car. It helps us entice more prospective members to the dark.....err, the red side.