Why would it spit out coolant? | FerrariChat

Why would it spit out coolant?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Jun 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Back fresh after a major (no water pump rebuild), I've been loosing coolant out the expansion tank. Prior, there was no problems. It's especially prevalent while running high revs. The tank empties after about 300 miles and 3-4 drives. It doesn't dump out all at once. It's a cup or two every drive. While parked, I notice a little on the floor. Maybe a quarter cup. While running, the gauge reads 1/2 way, but stuck at a light, it reads a little high, but not uncommon for 355s.
    I've replaced the expansion tank cap. Today I filled it again.

Ideas?

Sticking thermostat?

2. bosshog8

bosshog8 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2011
    Pinelands NJ
    Full Name:
    Demetrius
    Bad cap. Test it or it's cheap enough to replace from the auto parts store. I believe it's 1.1 bar or 16 psi.

3. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    After my major, noticed spots of coolant on the garage floor...coming from the overflow hose. I guessed it was a tad overfilled. I also noticed the coolant was not all the way to the top in the reservoir. If yours was all the way up...I assume yours purged a lot more than mine. Running at a steady 190 all the time as far as coolant temp...a bit hotter with new manifolds installed. Not sure if that helped... that was my experience. No more drips tho. It seems to have found equilibrium.

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Already replaced the cap 2 weeks ago. this is the 3rd in 2 years. Not likely it's the cap.

And it wasn't overfilled. This run it went from about right level to near empty. Of course, I was shifting high rpm, lots :)

5. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    If you replaced that cap and the tank empty's..

I would do a pressure check on the system to diagnose the problem, bring it back to the shop for them to look at it

Did they do head work?

6. bosshog8

bosshog8 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2011
    Pinelands NJ
    Full Name:
    Demetrius
    Unfortunately there are only 2 things that will cause coolant to expel from the recovery tank in a "normal" engine: A bad cap or excessive pressure from too high temps. You say it's neither.

You should look into other things, like a bad head gasket which would cause excessive cooling system pressure. To start you can do a system pressure test with the same tools used to test the cap and see how that turns out.

7. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    "...2 things...". Yep, and that's why I'm scratching my head. My tester can't accommodate this small cap/tank. I'll have to get an adapter from somewhere.

And on the chance my temp gauge is off, I'll have to laser the tank & see what temps it reveals.

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    You can do a sudo head gasket check

Take the rad cap off and start the car, let it warm up
    If you see small bubble coming to the surface then you may have a HG issue

Bubbles will look similar in size to this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh2zy3jaxJs]Head gasket leaking seen through Killerglass hose - YouTube[/ame]

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I suspect it could be simply overfilled. The usual recommendation is to fill to 6cm below the top of the filler neck. But, I have found you may need to run a couple cm below that...maybe even 3 cm to reach a good point where it won't spit anything out. Just my observation with my own car...running a fresh cap and recent service.

Try letting it continue to puke out, until it stops, and leave it alone. As long as it doesn't overheat you are fine. Measure that point when cold, and that is your new level to keep it at.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Clyde. When I bought my car last year it had just had the major done and one of the things that bugged me was the persistent coolant drip on the floor.

I took the car to the tech check event at classic coach and they discovered and verified it with a pressure test , that the guy who did the major did not get the hose clamp on correctly in that it wasn't on and over the flange or whatever you call it on the fitting

Have someone do the pressure test and confirm ye or ne on this.

11. boaties

boaties Karting

Jun 21, 2013
    Edmond oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Shawn romberg
    I had a small drip after my major and it was the hose clamps on the front of the motor to the firewall. I bought a pressure testing kit and found the problem. I just tightened the clamps and no more drips. I thought I had those clamps really tight but I had to really crank them down and that did the trick.

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Best answer

:)

13. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yeah, the correct "full" level is surprisingly low. Any attempt to go higher and it will just reset itself to 6cm below the top of the filler neck. I keep a wooden dowel in the car with a line marked on it, so I can verify (cold).

14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    After a service air could be trapped somewhere like the water pump? Shouldn't you burp the coolant system. 308 are notorious for this as well.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Manual states that the coolant should not be allowed to fall below 6 to 8 cm below the cap. My coolant level, cold, is 2" deep or about 1/2" below the bottom of the filler neck and stable there. I imagine that different cars behave differently. For sure, the coolant level will find its level if over filled.

16. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Having recently changed a rad hose on my 348 I had the exact same issue. It was boiling out the expansion tank overflow just running in the driveway. Doing a little research here on F-chat I opened up the "bleeder valve" on the steel cross-over coolant tubes allowing the trapped air from the system to escape (similar to bleeding brakes) Problem solved. JGW

17. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    If you have to keep adding coolant after every use then I'd suspect a coolant leak. I would remove the intake manifold trim panel and make sure all your hose clamps are tight. I had one clamp that was loose and weeping after my major. I could smell the coolant and found a loose clamp. Tightened it and everthing has been good since.

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    So Clyde, did you figure it out?

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Exact same here as I posted above. MY gues as he just had a major done as well.

20. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #20 ClydeM, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    I haven't had a chance to get on it, yet.

I don't believe there is any other leak, other than the expansion tank spitting it out the escape tube.

I have filled the tank several times in the hopes if it were trapped air, it would escape - unlike the 308 requiring lots of bleeding. The tank eventually empties every time.
    Could air be leaking in via a loose clamp? That I have to check.

Am I overfilling it? Nope. I have a dowel marked so I can fill it properly.

I also need to check that the temp gauge is reasonably accurate and that it is not, in fact, overheating.

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Ok, I had a replacement fan (the lower amp SPAL unit). It's an exact fit but.......
    Turns out the power plug is the same, but it lacks the mounting point of the old fan. It's not an easy power connector swap. that's for another day. But for now it's plasti-tied to the fan housing.

But started up the car, Normal Operating Temps, and no left side fan. I heard the right kick on. And sitting there, the temps went quite high before the right fan kicked on. I was thinking perhaps the old left thermoswitch gave up the ghost. Reading on here some more...I decided to check the fuse. BINGO! I'm guessing coolant splashed into the old fan or just age caused the fuse to blow after the major.
    That explains why I would see the temp creep above the middle mark before suddenly dropping to the middle. The right fan was doing the whole job.

I'll take her for a test run tomorrow & see how she's doing.

22. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #22 ClydeM, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    I decided to give her another warm-up test first. No need to get stranded:)

Not a drop while warming up and hitting normal temps.

BUT

while she was cooling down she was spitting out coolant again.
    And this time I could see it over the a/c, pump belts. She must have been flinging coolant over to the radiator. But with the heat of the engine, it was drying off pretty quickly.

Remember she just had a major. It was either something simple like a hose clamp or maybe the water pump. I read lots on here on replacing the water pump and leaks.
    I found one of the upper hoses on the expansion tank was chewed apart at the end. It just fell apart in my hand. Cut a smidge & secured. But there was no coolant on the top of the engine so that wasn't the leak

But testing it again I saw some drips. From the upper coolant line right behind the fuel block. I figured I'd snug the c-clamp. I touched it and it just spun free. Coolant splattered everywhere. The darn hose was backing off the plastic connection. SON OF A B#$%!

It was just an overlooked C-Clamp causing me this grief. Tightened & one more warm-up test to go.

Quick 3 mile test drive. Not a drop spilt. I'll check the level in the exp tank when she cools & it's time for a proper test drive tomorrow :)

23. bosshog8

bosshog8 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2011
    Pinelands NJ
    Full Name:
    Demetrius
    That is good news.

24. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    That I didn't have to drop the engine for the water pump? Oh yeah...I'm doing my happy dance right now!