Would you? | FerrariChat

Would you?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Labman, Jul 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
  2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That was cool to watch.

Two things come to mind...

1. Doug must have a good indy
    2. I am wrapped up wayyyy more tight than he is!

3. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I let my friend drive my F430 the day after I brought it home. He brought his MB SL65 over to my house the night he picked it up and let me drive it. He's driven both of my Vettes and he requested I accompany him before he pulled the trigger on his AM Vantage coupe. I drove that one and told him buy it before I do.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Ummm no.

I've had too many "friends" borrow something and break it as a child to know better.

5. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I did when I had my 355 and he scared the **** out of me! I'm not a good passenger in my own car. So now no one drives my 430 but me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It is just a bad idea, plain and simple.

7. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    +1, it's like letting someone barrow tools, you just might get it back broken or might not come back they way you lent it out.

8. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Watching the entire video, I noticed that his gated MT makes much more of that "click-click" sound than my 430 gearbox? In fact, I really don't hear or notice that sound at all in my 430...Are they the same gearboxes in both cars?

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Robert it seems to record that way but it might not actually sound the same when you are driving. I have noticed mine sounds different when watching a playback with a GoPro.

10. conscom

conscom Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2008
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary
    +1 Totally agree although i have let my son drive my 430 with me as passenger. And of course, i trust my wife to drive it - with me as passenger, at least for now since I only took delivery in March. I would never let anyone take it on their own, except my wife - some day!

11. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I did let one friend drive my 360 one time with me as a passenger. He owns a Boxter, previously owned a 911, has raced motorcycles and has restored a number of different cars. A complete gear head. He was quite cautious and took it easy. No worries.

12. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    My wife doesn't get to drive my Mini, never mind my 550. Once she finally learns clutch control, it might be different.

13. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I like DeMuro. He is a buffoon, but in a good way. Contrast with that nitwit Clarkson.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    DeMuro means well... but when you read his "article" "I tracked a McLaren and Learned all exotics drive the same".. He never writes anything about how the car actually drives! Did it understeer with throttle? Did the braking compare to his 360? Clarkson actually talks about how the car drives! Doug writes like a 16 year old who drives his parents Camry station wagon talks at Cars and Coffee. Too much magazine fluff.. not enough serious automotive journalism and input. Which is Jalopniks userbase of course.

Automotive manufacturers will love his being "in-touch" with millenials. Which is a double edged sword. You're going to be looked at for marketing to the younger drivers, specifically the Under $30k car. The downside is that journalist isn't going to get seat time in a 918. If I wanted to buy a high end car who's opinion would matter to me. Think Chris Harris and Dan Neil. You can't feed the jealous envy of Jalopniks with stunts with your 360.. AND then want to be taken seriously.

15. Rnye

Rnye Karting

Mar 17, 2014
    Las Vegas, NV
    Absolutely.

Took it to the Dragon this year and let my dad drive it and his friend, who growing up got me into early Z cars. Also, another car friend and a couple people from the airport.

I don't believe in being stingy with your toys. They're insured and assuming you're a good judge of character, why not? Many people have allowed me access to their airplanes/cars and I do the same for those that are interested - that's half the fun is sharing the hobby.

16. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Nope... I'm a bad passenger in my own car. I let a friend who considered buying my F430 drive it and I was a wreck the entire time.

17. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    I let a friend drove my Porsche turbo and after his drive, he commented how his base slush-box C6 vette felt "so much quicker." Test drove my 2 other cars, and he called them a piece of crap. I took away his privilege years ago to drive any of my cars. Getting to test drive a friend's exotic car is a privilege as there are tons of liability to the owner. Everyone has different driving skill levels. Letting 20 people raced on public streets in his Ferrari is kinda stupid and irresponsible.

18. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I would find a new "friend"... :D

19. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Someone should get Bill S. into this thread.

20. DFexotic

DFexotic Formula Junior

May 5, 2012
    Chicago/Indiana
    He's probably secretly jealous

21. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I should hope no one is taking him seriously, but he is still funny.

22. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I let plenty of friends and business associates drive my car, what better way to share the joy of driving a fun car than to let them experience it for themselves.

23. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I have let at least 10 friends drive my car. You judge their character. if they are responsible in their own life and have been a decent human being, no reason to share in the joy

24. dadswrld

dadswrld Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Toronto, Ont
    Full Name:
    JR
    I probably wouldn't have that many hands shifting my ride like that without putting up a collection box for the replacement gearbox that'll be needed after!

With that said, as others have mentioned, if you know your people, you'll probably be ok with them driving it (whether your in there or not)!

25. chinesejpl

chinesejpl Rookie

Aug 26, 2009
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    JP
    I too let some select friends drive my 430. In fact, they track the car with me, which I understand is more risky as the car isn't even insured on a track. I choose who to lend it to carefully and they have never let me down (knock on wood). I have been fortunate enough to own a car like this so sharing it is better than keeping it to myself. Only my opinion, for whatever that is worth anyway :)