Who needs a pension when you have a 355?? | FerrariChat

Who needs a pension when you have a 355??

Discussion in '348/355' started by Harrydino, Jul 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    #1 Harrydino, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In the Sunday Times last weekend the 355 featured as the front cover of the driving section as a car to hang on to as prices in the UK continue to climb at a steady rate!

A nice article to read especially if you own one! Who else observed this and what were your thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    Harry, is there a link to this article?

3. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Can't find an official link online. I'll take a cliose up pic for you and send it to you. Having that picture on the front cover will have had a further positive impact on the market certainly over here in UK.

5. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you could find a way to post the whole article that would be much appreciated.

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I would love to read the article also

:)

7. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    #7 Dino Chang, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    True, our market here in the UK bears no resemblance to that of the US. 355 values have surprisingly increased here over the last 12 months, and by a fair margin. Top cars have been sold above 90k pounds sterling over this year. There's even £100,000 355s at reputable dealers.
    Even 360 CSs are now from £170,000 upwards, amazing how it's going.
    I for one won't complain and try to talk the prices down, I will leave that to our cousins across the pond.
    I recall a video that I saw two years ago of a classic car auction, the auctioneer suggested the £100,000 f355 will be here in 5 years time. A few of us smiled then, two years later were taking things a little more seriously now. Fingers crossed then :)

8. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    It is a tale of two markets for sure.

9. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    That being the case, would it make sense for someone to ship their car overseas to try to sell it for a (larger) profit, or are the various certifications necessary to do so a deal breaker? Shipping costs certainly wouldn't be a factor.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In the US, you need a pension to maintain your 355.

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Or a set of wrenches. That's what I use and it works out fine.

12. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

Your steering wheel is fitted incorrectly for use in the UK

13. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Strange, in Europe the most expensive F355 cost 90000€ (70000£)
    However, I think if a Briton would offer 110000€ for that car, the dealer would accept the offer.
    Good examples are around 50000-60000€.

14. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Yup. Two ways to maintain a 355:

1. Spend big bucks and keep your manicured fingernails clean.
    2. Get dirty and become one with the car.

I like #2 :)

15. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    And you know this how?

Not the case here as a 355 owner.

16. MicroFirm

MicroFirm Karting

Dec 6, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Also not the case here. Here's yet another example of someone who knows nothing about the car, and reflexively spews the tired old negative BS

17. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Precisely!

18. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It's only a matter of time before Rifledriver, Fatbob and Driveitdaily come trolling...

19. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    It's been a while since Clarkson had that much hair. Is he using old photos?

20. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    I'm guessing that's a photo from the late 90s in front of his personal GTS.

21. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Have you ever owned a 355? I guess you then know some owners that just handed the keys to any shop and were bent over.Dont blame the car for people not doing there home work.

22. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The UK market has consistently been a predictor of the USA market. Look at what has happened with Impact Bumper 911s and w113 Pagodas- all cheap and plentiful cars in the USA that started to get expensive in the UK.

Not saying anybody is going to make money owning a 355 (I surely haven't) but at least there's some good news on the horizon after the Sheehan disaster in Forza.

23. Harrydino

Harrydino Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Yea photo of his old GTS. The article is written by the Sunday times journalist and clarkson. I will do my best to post up on here. The majority of the article talks about the current classic car market and how to make money from it. The 355 features as a prime example of a car that will continue to appreciate at over 15% per annum.

Do you think the US market will follow the UK market over the next year? Looking on autotrader or piston heads tonight it's almost impossible to pick up a 355 here for below £55,000 and as previously stated it's very common to see them for £75,000 - £100,000.

24. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    I have a feeling the US will not follow the UK. Here we dont really talk the car down Any were near half as much as the US do.
    How many times have we read on here about owners talking down a dealers or sellers f355 because they are selling at a higher than average price. Saying things like, hes a dreamer or he will never get that for it. If a potentual buyer reads ferrarichats 355 section he will quickly be convinced by opinion.
    Over here in Blighty we dont really have that trait. So if the market is selling cars for high prices, and the buyers are buying. Then why try to hault it, prices will find there natural levels what ever they may be.

25. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Just an observation on the reason for the price differential.

Correct me if I'm wtong but UK weather approximates the northern half of the US where most fcars get driven and used seasonally. I.e. Garaged and low miles. In the US. We have a large part of the country that allows 12 month driving and not necessarily always garaged. I'm
    Not saying all of those cars are beaters but maybe percentage of population wise. , more were bought and used so the after market is not as thin as UK .

Lot of folks in the US have two and three car garages and have many cars under their roofs. I am thinking in terms of asses looking for seats , we just have more seats available for the asses that want them overall and we may have more "driven" cars than the UK that don't command higher dollars.

Smaller market, less inventory. Larger market, more inventory.

Just thoughts. It's not the economy making the difference.

My thinking is that