Lauda thinks Mercedes' rival cars are **** | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Lauda thinks Mercedes' rival cars are ****

Discussion in 'F1' started by freshmeat, Jul 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    LMAO. Yeah Lauda

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Definitely. They just happen to show up at the right time..

3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Show Me where Helmut Marco described his rivals cars as being s:censored:t!

Thinking more about Lauda's comments, it's even disrespectful to his own team and their efforts!

Rather than praising the team effort this season as being something extraordinary, he's basically saying that what they've achieved this season is due to everyone else doing such a poor job rather than his team doing a great job!

From a PR perspective, it's actually not that smart a comment to make!

4. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Lauda may sound witty because the team is winning. By his logic Mercedes were stupid up until this year.

One thing is to be outspoken and another to talk crap about your competitors.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    So, Lauda is still Lauda after all these years. I find that comforting, actually.

SF could use a little of his German meticulousness and outspoken stubbornness to cut through their Spaghetti Politics, frankly. But he'd have to wear red shirts in the pits.

Cheers,

George

6. poyta

poyta Karting

Mar 7, 2004
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I don't think he's ever directly said it with those exact words but you can't say that he's never belittled his rivals. We've often heard remarks and criticism about other drivers in particular. I remember him saying Buemi and Alguersuari were no good, there's no end to the criticism he had towards Webber, he's often complained about Alonso and his "political games" , I even remember his saying something along of the lines of Vettel is better than Alonso and Hamilton combined.

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, mate you have cut what Lauda said to pieces so it no longer makes sense. He criticized quite rightly McLaren because we know their engine is good so the car must snck massively. And he criticized Ferrari quite rightly because we ALL know their engine is utter rubbish, but he then says this will be corrected next year because FERRARI car fix their engine.

And to the rest of you he is absolutely 100% right. How many years did the engineers have to come up with these new engines AND only one engine supplier thought outside the box and made a decent one. Sorry the other engine designers: Renault and Ferrari (are there any others or are we down to just 3 now?) did very little laterial thinking at all and now are paying the price. Quite pathetic for supposedly cutting edge engineers ... guess they won't be looking for a new job any time soon as their CV will snck ;)

And also over the last few years the Mercedes has been very fast but not a winner and I am absolutely sure Lauda told them what he thought of their car. Did he not get out of a Ferrari F1 car on his first test and say it was a piece of ***** ... and thankfully Ferrari had the balls to listen and do something about it. Unfortunately when Prost said the same he was sacked ... great pity.
    Pete

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    If, as you say, Lauda is right, then that means he doesn't think Mercedes are doing an exceptional job with their design, race tactics and drivers, they are merely winning because everyone else has done such a poor job!

That's actually kinda shooting yourself in the foot when you think about it!

( I can imagine him now, talking to his wife: "No, you're not pretty, it's just that the rest are uglier than you are!............Now what have I said wrong?....................You said you wanted honesty in our relationship and now your crying!?" )

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It´s just a question of "etiquette".

Everybody knows that all cars compared to the Mercedes are sh*t, but using that vocabulary, you´re making everybody look like fools.

Yes, the Mercedes guys are smart. But it´s not only that they´re smart, they also could outspend everybody these last two years while they were preparing the new engine. Also, it´s funny that now Lauda says that the engine freeze is there for everybody and that his rivals should STFU, when he was whining about the tyres all day in 2013.

Some may argue that Lauda knows his business and has earned the right to say whatever he wants. But his contributtion to the success of his team is rather limited compared to Brawn, Bell, or even Toto Wolff; he´s not much more than the Helmut marko of Mercedes. And his previous experiences in the world of team managing at Jaguar and Ferrari sucked, big time. Even if now he´s kicking everybody arses, he´s got reasons for humbleness too.

So Lauda should remember that scene in the Rush movie when he was trying to boycott a race and most of the drivers voted against him because he behaved like a moron. Then James Hunt told him something like "hey, sometimes being nice is useful".

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No I don't think he thinks that. Their design is great and he knows it.

And yes DeSoto, you are right of course but that is not how Lauda plays :)
    Pete

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    some of you guys need to read some more on lauda.
    he has always been like this and said these types of things - this is nothing new.
    nor does his most recent statement have any real depth of hidden meaning - he is just speaking his mind about the present situation when asked about the field. and at this moment in time he is right.

none of you know precisely what his contributions to the team are, but given that the people who do know still employ him, i suggest that he is probably fulfilling his obligations.

anybody getting their panties in a wad over this probably dont have that much direct involvement in the pirannha pool......you need to be a lot tougher to swim with these guys.

man up !