F430 engine knocking (video) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 engine knocking (video)

Discussion in '360/430' started by TangoWhiskey, May 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Probably looking for second job to pay for the repairs. :(
    Alan

2. TangoWhiskey

TangoWhiskey Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Sorry guys, the car is at the dealer now. They originally suspected a piece of the header had broken off and went inside a cylinder and any repairs would be covered under emissions warranty, but now say that's not the case and they need a $7,000 approval from me to 'begin' with disassembly and diagnosis. (Before we even start talking repairs) I'm not sure what to do at this point.

3. Toolie

Toolie Karting

Jan 15, 2013
    Houston,TX
    It should be covered under emissions warranty. Why did they back out of that? Headers on that car are known to crack. I'm so sorry man that's the fear I have owning a Fcar!

4. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would think that'd be emissions too. Do they think the catalyst material got sucked up into the engine?

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    What is their plan? Are they going to remove headers and scope that end of things? To me that would be "relatively" cheap to do. I am guessing but maybe a few hours?

6. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Possible causes

1: Lazy lifter
    2: Cam bucket cracked in half
    3: Cracked valve spring
    4: Chipped cam or a dry cam lobe
    5: Bent Valve through foreign object in cylinder
    6: Head Gasket
    7: Header gasket

It does sound metallic though.

Good luck with the repairs and fingers crossed.

7. Manila360

Manila360 Karting

Dec 16, 2010
    Did they say that there was no damage from the header thats why they are backing out of the emissions warranty? If it was coming from the bottom end, the sound would be different. The problem is in the head somewhere

8. time

time Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2011
    Full Name:
    DeeGee
    I am dismantling a 430c and will have a reasonably priced engine available in a few days.

9. TangoWhiskey

TangoWhiskey Rookie

May 31, 2014
    They believe it is not the header which caused this problem.**I asked them if they could pull the headers and turn the engine over, they said the noise is coming from the intake side of things and that won't help.**So, disassembly begins.**I will report back when we know more.**

10. Michaelzeiss

Michaelzeiss Karting

May 5, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Michael Zzzz

This video is private. Cannot view video. Change it to public in YouTube. I wanna heard your engine.

Sent from my Ferrari F430 & 360

11. TangoWhiskey

TangoWhiskey Rookie

May 31, 2014
    After spending 2 weeks at the dealership and a lot of $ in diagnosis, they have determined it to be the bottom end of the engine. Most likely crank bearing. They said if the crank is damaged it's not worth overhauling the engine.

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Where are you? Complete your profile.

Not worth it for who? Not sure if a dealer is the cost-effective choice for that job. Ferrari super-retail price for everything. Of course they'd rather drop a new bullet in the gun.

13. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That did not sound like a big end!

14. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Any updates?
    There is a thread here about another F430 with a snapped connecting rod
    flying trough the block...

15. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I'm going to have to agree with Stout & MaranelloDave...
    That sounds exactly like carbon knock. When you have a piece/chunk of carbon that has fallen into the combustion chamber and getting smashed (hopefully) or imbedded into the piston head.
    In this case since we know cat converters are in the headers and the headers notoriously crack, I'm very certain a piece of cat converter got sucked in and dancing in there.
    The key would to have determined which cylinder it is exactly coming from, pull the spark plug out, disable the injector and coil and run the engine with the spark plug out.
    A few quick revs would blow the piece out.
    The only thing we hope for is the piece didn't hang up a valve which would allow the valve to kiss the piston and get bent.
    That is definitely not a crank bearing knock.
    The speed and inconsistent tapping definitely rules that out.
    The inconsistent high/low tapping rules tappets out as well...

16. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Carbon knock, that's a new one, composite would break up in seconds and were has it come from?

17. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #42 2NA, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    I think Brian called it and is correct that it has happened before.

I would start by pulling spark plugs and having a look with a borescope.

I see a lot of idiot diagnosis here. Certainly not "carbon".

Post photos of the result.

18. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    My apologies if I confused you. I'm not saying carbon is the cause. I'm saying the sound is similar to a carbon knocking SOUND caused by a piece of catalytic converter trapped in the chamber. I'm very certain it is not a crank bearing knock, that sounds totally different...

2NA, I don't know who you are as much as I don't know you, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you did not call me an idiot, you do not know me and I'm simply giving my input since the OP is requesting for suggestions. He's being taken by the dealer from what I've read so far...

19. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Steve, again. I did not mean it is carbon. It sounded like carbon but is possibly catalytic converter material.
    I've seen large pieces (1/4") carbon chunks fall into engines from stuck EGR valves and they do not simply crush in seconds. Knocks like hell forever. Give it a way out and they blow right out.

20. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    From my experience big end wear is indicated by a knocking noise when under power and lessens or goes away when letting off the throttle. Wrist pin bearing wear (gudgeon pins to our English friends) is indicated by a rattle when letting off the throttle.
    Alan

21. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Of course the real cause of the noise has yet to be demonstrated, bearing failure on the 430 is not unheard of. Brian's suggestion that the sound could be a piston striking the head because of a failed big-end rod bearing was based on experience with just such a problem. At this point we only have the word of the dealer regarding what was found. I would like to see a bit more information before passing judgement.

Regarding my comment, it was not directed at you personally.

22. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    I have had a similar issue with another car. The rod bearing failed which caused the piston to slap the head. Did the OP comment on oil pressure reading? A failed/spun bearing is usually accompanied with low oil pressure...

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Usually but not always. It depends on which bearing is affected.

24. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I cannot decipher this post, but I understand enough of it to say it makes no sense... :)

25. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor