FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spiderscott, Feb 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good question. If it's not on the ground, it's still in the car flowing around someplace. The one picture showed the fluid level to be quite low. i.e., lots of fluid leaked out.

Maybe someone ought to do a DIY for finding the resulting leaks! Maybe when my 430 Spider's top goes south after warranty... ;-)

Tim

2. tariq

tariq Rookie

May 20, 2010
    my roof was not closing or opening when it was getting to half way point unless I tried a few times. However, after topping up the oil as described by one of the members. It works perfect. Many thanks

3. JoshECS

JoshECS Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 3, 2010
    Ashburn,VA
    Full Name:
    Josh Hill
    You usually have to work the top up and down a few times to work all of the air out of the system. If you remove the forward panels inside the engine bay it exposes the hydralic rams for the top...those are what generally leaks. Most of the time the leak is gradual enough that you won't see the fluid on the ground.

4. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for that bit of info.... that explains why many need to top off but never see a tell tale oil spot on the floor..

Ferrari should have realized anything that has 10,000 hydraulic lines put in by italians was going to be service needy & put a 1 gallon reservoir in there, would have given many years of service before anyone ever had a hydraulic/air complaint ;)

5. mrpcar

mrpcar Formula 3

May 27, 2007
    Chino hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Actually the entire convertible top's hydraulic assembly in the 360 is made by the Germans.

6. Tron Obrestad

Tron Obrestad Rookie

Jan 9, 2011
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Tron Obrestad
    Hei,

I have got a 360 like this, and when I try to open the top I got a alarm sound. You think low liquid level is the problem here?

Tron Obrestad, Ferrari Club Norway

7. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    Does anybody know of a write-up like this for the 430? Can't find anything. Need to find out why the open roof warning stays on. Roof seems to operate normally, but have only opened it twice (just got the car). Thanks.

8. Rody

Rody Rookie

Apr 4, 2011
    holland
    Full Name:
    Rody Postma
    Hello,

My car doesn't complete it's full cycle and stops when it needs to put the windows up, the pump stays on.

What would the level of fluid be when in closed position?

Regards Rody

9. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    #34 PATLEW, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    where do I fill it to? I see some say top it off is that the correct level? My top is opening to the first fold and then nothing else. Photo is my level should I fill it up and where did you get the oil? I am going to go to the local Mercedes service center to try and pick some up. The fill screw is on extremely tight afraid that I iwll strip it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Thanks for the detailed info I followed your instructions and it works perfectly. I can only imagine what it would have cost if I sent it to the shop. One suggestion that I think someone pointed out already but remove the bottom bracket first in order for easier access to he inside bolt listed as the first item to remove. other than that a breeze to fix.

11. tquincy

tquincy Rookie

Dec 30, 2011
    Florida
    Spiderscott is a genuis. Thank you so much for your step by step procedures. I just finished the project in 30 minutes from beginning to end and the top works like a charm. If these directions are followed correctly and there is low fluid you will be good to go. Thank you Spiderscoot so much for putting so much time and details into the instructions and the pictures. Your detail was so great that I even had to use the part number for the hydraulic fluid at the Mercedes Benz dealership. Once I gave them the part number they knew exactly what I was talking about. Without your instructions and pictures this would have been a complicated job but you made it easy. Thank you so much! Spidersscott for President...:)

whatheheck likes this.
  12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    ha ha ha you are most welcome my friend.

It was a few years back now that I wrote this post, it makes me very happy to know its still helping out other owners out and saving them a buck or two :O)

whatheheck likes this.
  13. alohamickey

alohamickey Karting

Sep 23, 2004
    San Clemente CA
    Full Name:
    Mickey
    Thank You Spider! Very easy to do.

That fill screw bent my 5mm allen wrench so bad, i needed to buy another one. I thought i was going to strip the head, but then a loud crack and the screw finaly broke free!

I also didnt have a squeeze bottle or tubing, so I went to the 99 cent store to find something that would work and I bought a turkey baster for a buck, shaved the tip and didnt spill a drop!

Unfortunately, it didnt fix my problem, but replacing the elastic straps will.

14. F-Serge

F-Serge Formula 3

Aug 3, 2004
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Man, thanks for writing up this fantastic post - the roof on my spider stopped working a few days ago, fixed it this morning!
    Cheers,

Serge

15. Romblu

Romblu Rookie

Dec 3, 2012
    tanks to you spiderscott i finaly closed my roof and happy evry thing is workig fine now,exactly like you explaned,tank you back again your good.

16. I did exactly that, only I did not tilt the assembly and I was able to fill with it upright.
    DO NOT use Syringe.. with fluid it binds too much. My top worked like it should. Thank you for the posting.

17. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Very useful thread...

Ultimately though, what is the permanent fix?

18. Cooper

Cooper Karting
    Owner

Feb 25, 2013
    London, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Chris Cooper
    I noticed my top opens perfectly and quickly, but when putting the top back up the cover opens and there is a long pause when the soft top does not come out, when I release the button the top jumps out a couple inches and goes back down and eventually it comes out and closes. Is the a tell tail sign of low fluid?

19. Alcolena

Alcolena Rookie

Jun 22, 2013
    Just saw this 2009 thread (today 2014) that helped me very much to understand how the roof works. My roof wouldn't close entirely alone and needed help to start opening. After checking the capote oil level, battery voltage, middle bar position, etc., I have resolved my problem very easily. The painted capote cover has left and right guides on the front edges that get inside 2 holes on each side of the body of the car. My left guide was not getting correctly in the hole and due to this needed to be hand guided. Since I repositioned the left guide using the 2 tuning screws the capote now gets correctly in the holes and opens without any help. My problem has gone as simply as that.

20. MortgageRockstar

Feb 8, 2013
    Mansfield, MA
    Full Name:
    Geof
    #45 MortgageRockstar, Apr 26, 2014
    Per the workshop manual, the fluid level is supposed to be checked with the soft top down.

"With the soft top gathered in its housing bay, the level should be at the mid-point on the indicator found on the tank. The arrows appearing along the perimeter of the circular indicator represent the “MIN” and “MAX” levels of the oil in the tank."

obertRo, ShadowLAP and whatheheck like this.
  21. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I got a "stubby" allen key off ebay, and an oil can with a longer hose which came with a nozzle (Oriley auto parts) that fit perfectly in the 5mm opening, so I no longer have to take the bottle OUT as described here, saved a lot of time as reinstalling the canister was a bit tough the first time.

whatheheck likes this.
  22. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    I Was just going to post regarding this -- checked mine with the top down and then put up the top to see the difference.

With the top down the fluid level is right around the max level.

With the top up, it drops below the min level by about 0.5" or so.

23. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Thanks for the post! Just changed my oil in the top mechanism and seems to have eliminated my top "hesitation issue" where it wouldn't come out of the housing unless I cycled the other way back down. I removed the electrical connector off the back of the plate allowing me to carefully turn the pump over and drain most of the oil. Filled up and after 6-7 cycles, I no longer have it hesitate.
    Cheers!

whatheheck likes this.
  24. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    #49 Lrob, Jul 27, 2014
    HELP!!!
    Firstly thank you,spiderscott, for an amazing post. It looks so easy and thus far it was.
    My convertible top stopped halfway up twice. I recycled the operating system a few times and it worked.
    So I was sure it needed more hydraulic fluid.
    I picked up some at my local Mercedes dealer and followed your instructions to a "T."
    See photo of the fill step.
    I pulled the plug, and BTW it is on the left of the little hole, there are only 2 not 3.
    When I pulled the plug with the 5mm allen wrench, I heard a little pop and a very small amount of fluid seeped out.
    Yes, I have it loaded with rags all around it and the reservoir is horizontal.
    I next tried to add fluid, but....it will not enter the opening. I pressed a small metal rod into the opening and it stops an inch from the top. Also, fluid is pushed out when I inserted the small metal rod.
    And the top is currently down. I "think" the reservoir is more full with the top down as opposed to up, but not sure.

Is there a flap valve behind the filll opening?

The reservoir is about 3/4 full as you can see from the photo attached, but it will not let me add any fluid.
    See attached photo.

BTW my car is a 2004 360 Spider manual transmission with 9,000 miles
    Any comments or helpful hints PLEASE.
    The sun just came out here in CT/USA and I'm looking forward to "exercising the horses."

Larry

25. Lrob

Lrob Karting

Aug 13, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    Full Name:
    Larry Roberts
    I dropped the bottom down so the reservoir is on a 45 degree angle. I was then able to get a couple of ounces added.
    Putting it back now.
    The bottom long screw holding the bottle against the post is a challenge to line up...but I finally got it.
    I am now going to test it, raising and lowering it a few times to see if it helped before I put the gold bars back on and close it up.