Need Advice - Test Drive went south | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need Advice - Test Drive went south

Discussion in '360/430' started by dcarroll95, Aug 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    And this is why many of us have skid pads on the underside of our front numbers.

A couple of weeks ago I was on a drive with group. We were on a backroad, car got light coming over the crest of a hill and then compressed just where there was a hump in the road. Lots of noise, no damage other than some of the paint off the skid pads.

2. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think the negligence is on the part of the salesman. Do they not have a regular path that they travel for test drives? Why deviate? The messy part is that the OP says it was his friend in the car so if there was a joyride component or a driving without permission aspect to it I can see some shared responsibility.

3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    If you were blatantly negligent then you should pay. You weren't. No way would I pay a cent.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I agree you don't owe them anything. These things will happen and that's a risk the seller takes when he allows test drives.

5. LewSF

LewSF Formula Junior

May 20, 2013
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Lewis Blevins
    The owner is always responsible even if someone else is driving their car.

6. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    A few years ago I was test driving a new Carrera S and was rear ended at a stop sign. The dealership said "Are you OK? We have insurance on the cars." I said I was fine and I left. Never heard from them again on the matter.

I know in Texas, they take a copy of your insurance when you test drive a car. I don't know what kind of liability that entails.

7. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think the co driver was the owners friend who was helping with the sale. Not Dcarrolls friend.

8. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Read the original post again ;)..............."The person accompanying the test drive is selling the car for the owner and the friend seems to be in the car business"

Certainly wasn't a joyride.

And to the OP, unless you feel like splitting the cost or covering the whole thing, you don't have to pay a dime.

9. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looking at it from another perspective, if it was your car someone was test driving and the circumstances were the same would you expect or ask them to pay? I would not.

10. rammac99

rammac99 Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Jefferson City
    Full Name:
    Richard McIntosh
    They prescribed the route for you to take. The local roads are known by the locals. Rest assured if you can to my city to test drive my car, I will not take you any place that something like that could happen. I am not sure how you could have avoided the situation. Besides, if they want to take it to court, let them. They will have a hard time convincing a judge it was your fault since they were in the car with you and dictated the route. I would state the above facts back to them in a response letter and would clearly state you don't owe anything. There is no way they can hire an attorney to recover that amount. They are clearly trying to soak you and are hoping they can get away with it.

11. uden0472

uden0472 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    at the end of the day, are you a man? did you damage someone else's property? if you answered yes - Then you know the answer.

12. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

If you need to, ask a lawyer. I believe that in most states the owner of the car has to carry insurance on the car and things like test drives by another person have to be covered by the insured owner of the car. This is a fairly common insurance issue, I believe.

At the end of the day, it's someone else's vehicle and they still own it. They or their insurance would have to sue to get someone else to pay to fix it.

13. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It sounds like the transition of road surface was not visible to the naked eye at driving speed and not knowing the clearance in a car you do not own would be another contributing factor.

I have let multiple people drive my cars and would never hold them responsible for an incident like this. It has happened to me, these cars are low and they do scrape the road surface at times. No big deal, live with it or fix it but it will happen again.
    If I was screaming for them to slow down and they disregarded my advice maybe I would reconsider my stance on this but just driving and hitting a bump. Owner is responsible.

14. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    Call your INS. agent and let them know what is going on. I believe there may be some policies that cover damage during test drives....

15. dcarroll95

dcarroll95 Rookie

Aug 7, 2014
    We agreed that I'd cover $350 - Can't live with myself if I do nothing.

My Gallardo rear bumper respray was $500, so I'm paying more than half of what that cost me.

-It was the actual painted bumper not the underside, so it's not able to be fixed with flat black spray. It does need to be repaired to sell it.

Thanks for all of the perspectives. Here's why I didn't pay all of it:

I test drove others from a well respected dealer in town they took me down roads where this wouldn't happen because they know the area and they know the car's limit. They protected themselves and they protected me.

If I gunned it around a corner, slipped out, and crashed it - Yep fully my fault
    If I rammed a curb - Yep fully my fault.

I personally pay 5% commission for a dealer to sell my old cars because I don't have time for it (Gallardo, R8 V10, 911 Turbo etc.). If it happened to me, I would expect the dealer to take it out of their 5% and make less on that transaction which would keep me coming back.

Terrible situation for all.

16. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    +1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    It sounds like the 350.00 will not hurt and you did something that you really did not have to do, but from the way it sounds makes you feel better in the long run
    Good Luck and Lesson Learned

18. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    Admittedly, I am not an owner (yet) of a 360 - but I'm trying to picture how a road transition as you described resulting in a scrape on the bumper, is "not the underside" ?

Did you plow it that hard, or make side contact with something?

19. av2

av2 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    S. California
    Terrible situation but you handled it like a true gentleman.

20. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Im sure they at least know not to use that round for test drives..

21. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    well done. You did the right thing

22. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Out of the cars i've sold in the past this has happened a couple of times. I did blame myself for not addressing how low the car sits and to use extra caution going up and down driveways/dips. I guess you just assume everyone already knows. I would never ask anyone to pay as I felt it was simple mishap and not bad intention. Things happen.

All in all this shows your character and that my friend is what counts, not the money.

Nicely handled.

23. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If $350 dollars is the price you would pay to get it off your shoulders, than you did the best thing you could.

I have recently learned in the past couple years, that things like mental health, character, integrity etc. is more valuable than money, and If it bothered you that much, its a small price to pay to keep your integrity.

24. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Sounds like you resolved the matter to your own satisfaction, which is very important. Glad it's over.

25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I personally would feel obligated to settle the matter amicably . Doing nothing just would not sit well with me . At the end of the day it's about karma . Sounds like you played it well.