Insurance Frustration | FerrariChat

Insurance Frustration

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by spyderfan, Aug 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spyderfan

spyderfan Rookie

Jun 29, 2014
    So I purchase a beautiful 2013 458 with lots of wonderful bits. I did my research and called Geico twice to make sure they would insure the car and that it would be affordable. They said yes and I paid my money. I have had the car for a little over a month and opened a letter from my insurer today stating that my car does not fall under their pricing structure so as of 10/10/14 they are dropping the car from my policy. But fear not, the three other cars that I currently insure are fine. Of course I called them and said how could you say yes and then go back on their commitment. They said they were so sorry but I have no recourse. I am 54, have no tickets or at fault accidents. (I know with this car it's only a matter of time before I get a "moving violation"). So enough of my complaining. Has any one else dealt with this and who can I use to insure this car? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    AIG and Chubb will cover exotics, yes it is expensive but can get full replacement value and have policy to take full payout in the event of an accident even if not totaled.

3. Racetoy

Racetoy Rookie

Jun 22, 2014
  4. Falcon7x

Falcon7x Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2012
    Flight Level 450
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Farmers, great rates, great coverage

5. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Firemans Fund.

6. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #6 720, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    State Farm has always been good.

7. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Rates aren't comparable due to differences in demographics and driving/claims history, but I've had no trouble getting coverage from State Farm either and the rate on the 458 is not disproportionate to the rates on my other vehicles with the same coverage limits and restrictions. (Knock on wood).

8. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    chubb offers "stated value" as part of their standard policy.
    the stated value amount is listed for each vehicle in your policy.
    this is the amount the company agrees to pay you in the event of a theft or a total loss in an accident.
    chubb charges more than most other insurance companies.
    there is one way to save a few bucks, however:
    i cancel the collision portion of my policy in the winter months when my car is in storage.
    this lowers my yearly cost of insurance by around 30%.

9. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've always had great luck with State Farm.

10. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I had a problem getting insurance in NJ. Perfect driving record all the typical insurance companies Geico, Progressive, State Farm etc all have a limit of 150,000 car value. My two options were Leyland West and Chubb. They were very competitively priced. Grundy and Hagerty were way too expensive. Leyland and Chubb let you agree in advance the stated value. Also you have to tell them how many miles a year you will drive. I went with Leyland West and their 6000 mile policy.

11. 458Pilot

458Pilot Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    Texas
    Try Hagerty Insurance agency and let them do the shopping, they do my collectable cars and our R8 & 458. Works for me and i have my own ins. agency.

12. synergy

synergy Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2007
    Austin Texas
    Full Name:
    Chris
    State Farm is great and have no problem with the 458.

13. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Hagerty was good but they do request a high performance vehicle resume if this is your first exotic. Good rates though.

Grundy is also excellent, very competitive and slightly more lenient in terms of usage.

Neither of these companies insure the car as a daily driver though.

14. Lawin

Lawin Karting

Jul 23, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Larry Nguyen
    State Farm has always been good to me and the rates are very reasonable.

15. spyderfan

spyderfan Rookie

Jun 29, 2014
    Thank you to everyone for the great suggestions. I think I need a new insurance company for all my cars!

16. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    State Farm. I am 27 and have had them insuring my exotics since I was 25 and they rates are VERY reasonable, despite my age.

17. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I went with chubb with mine, gave them my other cars too, and the pricing was fine. Offer them to insure all of your cars, and get the better deal.

18. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I've used USAA and Amica over the decades. Both been great for me.

19. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    What is your long list of exotics? lol

20. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    What is in a high performance vehicle resume?

21. jpcourt

jpcourt Karting

Dec 24, 2010
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    I use Hagerty for all my high end cars... great to work with!!

22. herenow

herenow Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2014
    US of A
    Have chubb on over 15 cars and they insure everything from my homes to cars... Never had a problem with them

23. hans2

hans2 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2011
    Charlotte
    I used to have full respect for Hagerty but they've recently fallen out of my favor. Customer agents appear very inexperienced and mistake prone, whereas 8 - 10 years ago their reps knew the insurance trade and classic / high-end car market COLD. I've recently wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to get their billing accurate for a single car addition. They're trying to charge me from the date I first requested a quote, vs the (far more recent) date when I legally needed coverage. Must be desperate for extra revenue.

24. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    State Farm

25. Benternet

Benternet Formula Junior

May 4, 2014
    TN
    Full Name:
    Ben
    im 35 and pay 120 a month for state farm on my 458, 120 on a Bentley, was nearly 100 for escalade..