What time do you go to the track on race day | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What time do you go to the track on race day

Discussion in 'F1' started by malteser156, Aug 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    #26 moretti, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    In '89 I got there very early and took a few pics of some nutters building their own stand !!

This was just before the Parabolica and was interesting watching all these guys bring in pieces of pipe , large planks, TV cameras, eskies, lap charts, etc.

They assembled it in no time and it was very sturdy, but still, could you imagine that happening today ? :p
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great stuff have a good one, I will await your pic's .:)

LOL No way but's it's brilliant, and no if Aircon was sat on top it of it, I wouldn't be shaking it honest..;)

3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    True story;

Around 10 years before that we seriously investigated renting a similar thing - A plasterers station, or something close to that. Breaks down and slots together real easy. 'Nice' we thought.

But, as we were entering over the fence in the country (see earlier hijack), and it was a significant hike through some pretty dense woods, decided it was too heavy & bulky.....

Cheers,
    Ian

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Funny to read/see the stories about getting your own seat at Monza as this is one of the few tracks left, which make it actually easy for the visitors to buy tickets. Unlike e.g. Austin.

I was disappointed in Monza after my first visit where I only sat on the Grandstands and just saw the cars zoom by. The trick to Monza is to get a ticket for one of the (now so many :() chicanes where things get much more interesting. Chicanes castrated the track but they brought a lot of viewing pleasure. Double edged sword.

And of course Monza has history. In a F1 world where the much loathed Hungaroring is now one of the oldest tracks on the venue, a dinosaur like Monza must be cherished.

5. HWJunkie

HWJunkie Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2007
    Oak Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Marc Simon
    When we went to Monza a few years back, we stayed in Milan.

Friday we took the train to Monza, but the train station if too far from the track to walk, so we easily grabbed a taxi to the track. However, where the taxis drop you off, is at the entrance to the track, which is in a big park, and the walk from the entry of the track to your seat will take at least 20-40 minutes depending on where your seats are, ours were on the main straight so it took about 30 minutes. Getting back was interesting because it was Friday rush hour and we had no idea which bus to take back to the train station as it was all in Italian, but we ended up in a packed bus and got back somehow.

Saturday, a little more crowded and no taxis at the Monza train station so we saw a bus that everyone was getting on so we took it, it got us to the same entrance as previously mentioned and we did the 30 minute+ walk to our seats, we took a bus back.

Raceday Sunday they open a different train station, it's only open 1 day of the year, raceday... From Milan there's a specific train route that goes direct to that train station and it leaves about once every hour or so, and they are VERY crowded, so make sure you don't wait too long to catch the train there because if you miss one, you will end up being late. The other thing is, this train station is at the Lesmo corner, so unless your seats are near there, it's even further than the other train station. We had to take a taxi from the Lesmo station to the outside of track where we went in the other days, which would have been at least an hour or more to walk, then, we had another 30+ minute walk to get to our seats.... The way home, you had to walk a LONG way to where the buses were, then take a bus JAM PACKED with people to the other train station, and there was a long line of people waiting to catch a bus...

You said your hotel is not far off, so it sounds like you may be staying in Monza or somewhere other than Milan?? If that's the case and you can take a taxi, that would be the easiest, but good luck finding a taxi to take you back, so figure out what bus goes where you want to go IN ADVANCE, so you know which one to get on. If you are driving, buy a parking pass, it probably won't be cheap, but I can't imagine not having a good parking pass, you will end up walking more than you will be driving... Although, it looked very difficult to get into the parking lots if you were driving and the traffic was HEAVY....

I wish I had asked some people about all this BEFORE I went, but at least now I know and hopefully this, along with the other advise on this post, will help you get there easier and on time.

Have fun, wish I was there

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The Pit Lane walk is a ticketed event, so check to see if that is already in your package.

If it IS, then certainly do NOT miss it!
    :D :D :D

7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was there for that race in 89 I remember when Senna's McLaren died the whole place went crazy - cause Prost was going to Ferrari in 90

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I could be wrong but I think pit lane is open on Thursday afternoon to public but otherwise only for paddock club

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Talking about fan build areas:

Look at this concoction they build at Zandvoorts' best corner (not the famous Tarzan):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILAC8SPo4D0]FIA GT Series - Netherlands - The Weekend Preview - Zandvoort - 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

It starts at 2:50, but the whole video is worth watching. John Watson as always fantastic to listen to.

10. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Saturday is deceiving because we got to Monza in no time at all and Sunday was chaos.

The year I went the special trains were delayed so it took a better part of 3hrs to get to Monza plus the 30min walk from Lesmo to the grandstands. I think we got there with about 15mins till the start of the race :eek:

If I ever go to Monza again I'd leave at the crack of dawn :eek:

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I *think* you're right. But check just in case!..... May also be the best time to go walkabout and "soak up the atmosphere".

Didn't Neuro do exactly that on Thursday at Silverstone IIRC? Obviously doesn't mean it's the same there, but maybe?

Cheers,
    Ian