328 GTS Rattle/Resonance | FerrariChat

328 GTS Rattle/Resonance

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Emartleb, Dec 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame
    I have an '89 328 GTS which has recently started to display an extemely annoying resonance/rattle which seems to eminate from somewhere near where the passenger's right ear would be. It starts at about 3000 rpm, is worst at about 3200 rpm and is completely gone by 3500 rpm and is present in all gears. It is there with the top off and on, with the passenger side window up or down, with the doors locked or unlocked. It is definitely worse with the car moving but is still present with the car stationary but revved in neutral to 3200 rpm. While in neutral, I had my girlfriend rev the motor to 3200 rpm while had my head in the engine compartment and I couldn't hear it coming from there. I removed the slats which cover the 3/4 window on that side; I have tightened every nut and bolt I could see and get my hands on in the engine compartment (near that area) and in the interior and still the damn thing resonates. It seems a little worse when accelerating through (or when the revs fall after a shift) this rpm as opposed to cruising there. Can somebody give me some hints...

Thanks!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It is often caused by the A/C hoses going over the top of the fuel tank. Some people just go in there and insulate them from the bodywork and the tank with foam rubber or similar material.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Type of exhaust?

4. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame
    Thanks, gents. I will check the a/c lines. The exhaust is stock.

Thanks again.

5. barbo1

barbo1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2004
    Huntington beach ca.
    Full Name:
    gerald barbisan
    your talking about exhaust resonance right? I have 85 308 and I get the same situation. It does have the original exhaust. Been driving me crazy as I have looked at every nut and bolt as well.

6. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame
    I really don't think it is an exhaust resonance. It seems to be coming from much closer to the cockpit on the passenger side. Driving me absolutely crazy!!

7. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    it's the A/C

check the bolts too.

8. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    It's the A/C lines hitting the inside of the right rear fender. Take off the wheel well liner and place padding between the lines and bodywork. VERY common problem!

9. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    In my case it was the bolt securing the cambelt cover. I removed the rear wheel and the cover to have free access, torqued the bolt and everything went quite.
    Ciao
    Eugenio

10. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Could also be the air intake resonating on whatever is near it. The location of the interference is near the side duct. Mine did this.

11. speeder37

speeder37 Karting

Nov 18, 2003
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Your water pump is failing. Check the play on the bearings, I think that you will find ypur problem. I chased that resonance for a month prior to discovering the water pump.

12. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Did you remove the intake when you replaced the water pump? A bearing making that kind of noise will freeze up in short order. I doubt it is the water pump.

Take a look at the intake. It gets worn away where it is contacting something else. Mine did this. It was obvious.

13. Emartleb

Emartleb Karting

Dec 6, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Val Beltrame
    I don't think it's the water pump as it was done less than a year/2 thousand miles ago. I will check the air intake.

Thanks.

14. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I have seen water pumps go bad right from the start. Does not hurt to double check.

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    More then likely the A/c lines are rubbing the body work...But I have seen on a rare occation the coolant pipes which pass under the center of the car through a tunnel rub together creating a strong "rumbling type noise. Normaly it has just been the insulator around the pipes, that keep them from touching together or the frame work, and has fallen apart with age. I replace it with a thin peice of inner tube, wrapped around the pipe.

16. ham308

ham308 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    NE Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Richard Ham
    A yard of flexible plastic pipe stuck in your ear makes a marvelous microphone for tracking down noises.

Honest :)

17. marczero

marczero Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Marco
    AC lines rubbing , mine had it also , re route slightly or foam, all fixed v easy.

18. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    Also rattling/noisy components:

Inner wheel arch bottom end fibrating (no support).
    Louvre window door.
    Exhaust cladding loose.

19. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    That engine goes through a harmonic vibration in the 3200-3500 range. I have traced a number of noises at this RPM range. For me to tell you exactly what it is cannot happen. I have found cam belt covers loose, metal fuel line from the pump area vibrating, intake duct and others. Just have to find what it is on your car.

Good luck, your car is normal, drive on. After you find the noise.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I had the same - for years - until I realized, that it began after a A/C service and was caused by the A/C lines. I rerouted them a TINY bit by simply altering the angle of the fittings on the compressor, and the noise was gone.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

21. santacruzn

santacruzn Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Grace
    I agree with Lawrence, I had almost exactly the same resonance and it was caused by the air cleaner vibrating against the A/C compressor. I modified the air cleaner slightly and never heard it again. Everything is so extremely tight in that area.

Bill

22. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    You'ved been hosed...

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Did any of you notice you are giving advice to someone who had a problem 10 years ago?

I suspect he has fixed it by now.

24. Mantinger

Mantinger Karting

Jul 30, 2004
    Netherlands, Drenthe
    Full Name:
    H
    I didn't.
    Well, the purpose of this forum is to learn.
    I did.

Next lesson please :)

25. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Oh, now that you tell us :)
    But honestly I had the problem for almost 10 years till I was able to fix it.

Best Regards

Martin