College Football 2014 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

College Football 2014

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GrigioGuy, Jan 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    AP: 4 of the 5 top ranked teams are from the SEC...all in the West division. ;)

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Although I'm from Alabama, I love Les Miles' press conferences. He is a hoot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntnKb2SiX0]Les Miles: "We're going to have to play that position [QB] next year too? Damn." - YouTube[/ame]

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Oh, grumpy Gators! Life was so simple when I was there many eons ago. People still loved going to The Swamp, but reasonable expectations were not of national championships but NCAA sanctions and players getting in trouble with the local popo. Then, Coach Spurrier & Coach Meyer went and ruined it all! :) ...T

6. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    How is it 2014 and a station like ABC have such horrible HD feeds?

Don't really care about the game, Michigan v. Michigan State, just always annoys me.

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Watching LSU and ole piss. I have never seen a player's facemask get completely ripped off like that. Wow.

8. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #108 tundraphile, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Looked hard at the rankings and who will likely be in the playoff.

IMO, three of the four teams are almost a certainty as they will win out and are highly ranked now:
    Florida State (likely only unbeaten in two weeks)
    Oregon (voters love them)
    Notre Dame (only loss was to FSU, no way ND gets close to playoff ranking and doesn't get in)

The final spot is the sticky one. SEC is not done beating up on each other yet, so the teams I listed above will get to move up in the rankings as Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, and Miss State play and lose to each other.

A likely scenario is this:
    -Ole Miss plays Auburn this weekend, going with Auburn for the win and basically Ole Miss is out of contention.
    -Miss State loses to Alabama on 11/15. This means the Tide controls their own destiny in the SEC West.
    -Ole Miss and Miss State play in the last weekend, going with Miss State for this one.
    -Auburn and Alabama also play the last weekend. Alabama wins and they are in SEC championship game for sure with Ole Miss losing 2 games and having the Miss State tiebraker. Auburn needs to win out and have Miss State lose twice.

Short answer is there will likely be two SEC West teams with one loss. One will be champion of the West, the other not playing in the SEC championship game but still ranked in the top 7 or 8 in all likelihood.

SEC East is now a two-horse race against Georgia and Mizzou, with the Bulldogs having the tie-breaker after kicking Mizzou's butt a couple of weeks ago, but both have one loss in conference and Georgia still has to play Auburn, while Mizzou still has a shell-shocked Texas A&M team in a couple of weeks. But regardless if it is Georgia or Mizzou, it seems unlikely either would ever get to the playoff even if they won the SEC championship.

SEC nightmare scenario. Imagine this, everything transpires above. And a 2-loss Georgia (ranked about 15) beats the West champ (Bama for sake of argument). Georgia would not be in the playoff and neither would West champ. That would leave the selection committee to make a tough choice, do you put the other one-loss West team in, even though they didn't even win their division, or a team like TCU or Michigan State which is hovering around spot #7 and each have one more tough game and then a relatively easy path to win out?

While it may seem crazy to think that there could be exactly zero SEC teams in the four-team playoff, depsite the fact that today three of the top five teams are SEC West, it could happen. Maybe easily happen if the West champ is not the SEC champ. I'm sure there are many across the country that would take some satisfaction in keeping the SEC out of the playoff this year.

9. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Both of my younger brothers went to UF and they (and everybody else in gville) sound like they are at the end of their rope-not where you want to be heading into the game in JAX. This is good stuff and it sounds like something either of them would throw on Craigslist!

10. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Obviously Georgia couldn't stop Florida's run so they kept with it, but that's just embarrassing to lose to a team when they only had 27 passing yards.

11. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Gotta admit, the UF O-line looked like they were pushing UGA around-that's a lot of running. Of course I'm not real thrilled the gators just figured this out a few weeks before the war with the Noles (no matter where they are ranked it's always a war with the Gators and the U!).

You know Jimbo F was taking some notes watching his buddy's team yesterday

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Florida showed they have zero confidence in the passing game. 6 or 7 attempts or something like that? Both QBs seem to be turnover prone when they have to make a passing decision...heck he fumbled the ball once when it shouldn't have happened yesterday. They're probably better off replacing the QB with another RB and have three back there and the center decides who to snap to. I can see Florida winning at Vandy and USCw at home, but not FSU on the road. Our defense still gives up big yards.

13. bennett

bennett Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    CHARLOTTE, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    I don't get on here much, but during LSU v BAMA week, I can't help but think of the good Doctor Cosgrove and the baby in the King Cake, Frank. Where you guys at?!?!?!

14. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Wow Auburn, rough ending to that one. They were one of my locks in the playoff. They could still slip into the final 4 with a big win in the iron bowl.

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Auburn, Notee Dame, Kansas State, Michigan State effectively eliminated from any chance at the playoff.

Contenders to get in to the four teams seem to be Miss State, Alabama, Ohio State, TCU, Florida State, Oregon, with Baylor, Nebraska, and Arizona State as outside chances.

Oregon, Florida State do not have any tough opponents and will likely win out. Oregon then will play Arizona State fir the Pac12 championship. It may be winner of that game is assured a playoff spot. So assume Florida State and Oregon are the two teams in the playoff.

Alabama plays Miss State next week. Miss State wins and Alabama is out, alabama wins and both are probably still possibilities depending on polls. Miss State could get in even though Alabama would have won the Division if by some miracle the East wins the SEC championship game. BUT, you also will have a few one loss teams that are thier conference champ. Ohio State if they beat Nebraska (also one loss) in the Big Ten championship game, TCU or Baylor if TCU loses.

16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    There is not one aggie I know or hear on the radio that thought they stood a chance against auburn. They all expected to get blown out.

Wonder if auburn didn't take it serious enough?

It was a ffantastic game though.

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    By far the best play of the weekend. Nice trouncing by the Ducks. In case you missed it, the Utah receiver dropped the ball before crossing the goal line and Oregon returns it 100 yards for a touchdown.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    College game day in tide country. Big big game for Miss St today but I think Bama has this one. The winner is the legit #1...at least for the week haaaaaaaa

19. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I sat down expecting to watch the first quarter and then going to do other things once the aggies were down by 21 or 28. Ended up not moving from my arm chair.

Not sure how today's game will end up. I'm hoping for the best though.

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Another crazy day of games, I love college football.

21. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Florida just fired Muschamp.

22. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    He should have never been hired in the first place. Finally it's great to be a Florida Gator again!

23. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

Any rumors on who his replacement will be?

24. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Too early to tell. I'm hearing he actually resigned and Foley was not prepared for this.

There's been a lot of speculation about the next coach, obviously. I keep hearing chatter but most of the names would never be considered. If I had to guess it will be a young offensive minded head coach.

25. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I just heard Dan Mullen from a buddy of mine down there