F430 error code P2196 | FerrariChat

F430 error code P2196

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mingjenpan, Oct 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mingjenpan

mingjenpan Rookie

May 26, 2007
    Taiwan
    One day the check engine light was on, when I diagnosie the engine ECU with SD3, it showed "P2196 Oxygen Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)", after I erase the error code, the check engine light was off. I run the F430 for half hour then diagnosie the F430, the SD3 showed "P2196 Oxygen Sensor Signal Stuck Rich (Bank 1 Sensor 1)" again but the check engine light was off.

I had exchanged the O2 sensors(left to right), injectors... but the error code appeared again! Does anybody have the same experience? How to solve it? I'm not confident with the daeler here, please don't tell me to go to the dealer.

2. mingjenpan

mingjenpan Rookie

May 26, 2007
    Taiwan
    I bought the F430 technaical manual, but the last error code number is P1632 in the Diagnostic help, there is no P2196, it's really upset. Please help !

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Call a dealer somewhere else until you get an answer. I'm sure someone will help.

4. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Question. Are you seeing a rich condition (black exhaust) out of your pipes? I think Bank1 means left side. If so, that could just mean your O2 sensor is in-fact just reporting a true rich condition that may take you back up towards the engine itself.......like a faulty injector..etc.

BobR

5. North East Auto Doctors

BANNED

Nov 11, 2009
    conn
    Full Name:
    Adam Varney
    po\02196 o2 sensor signal biased/stuck rich bank one is what my refrences are showing me kaamacat is right something else is out of wack do you have and sd3 if so i can tell you what to look for in the parameters, also i think bank one is the right bank {pass side} the right bank ecu is the mother while the left is the slave you can swap the two its just the left bank can never be triied in anouther car after wards but if the problem swaps banks then you got a bad motronic.
    oh the reason the code didnt come up right away is because it is a pending code and will ussually set the light on a second trip

6. V8Fun

V8Fun Karting

Aug 16, 2010
    Chicago West Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did you ever get this problem resolved? I have a P2198 code with a CEL (same as yours, but the opposite bank). Looking to get a feel for what the cause may be.

7. Jeru

Jeru Karting

Nov 16, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I have the same error code, Anyone figure out the solution?
    I did unplug and plug the vacuum hoses on the exhaust for more sound. Could that be causing it?

8. V8Fun

V8Fun Karting

Aug 16, 2010
    Chicago West Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In my case it was as stupid as an over-filled gas tank. When the pump clicked off I would restart it, and it would take about another gallon so I figured it was just designed poorly so it stopped prematurely. Turns out I shouldn't be doing that, and the resulting over-filled tank would cause extra gas fumes (from some gas splashed into some filter) that ended up getting sucked into the intake and resulting in the rich condition.

Since I stopped doing this I have not had the code return., and I've easily driven 7-8K miles since then.