Just took delivery of my 88.5 328 GTB | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Just took delivery of my 88.5 328 GTB

Discussion in '308/328' started by Bullittm3, Apr 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

2. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    #52 Bullittm3, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    Thank you so much for posting this information. I love the history of a car and this is great history. I would love to own the 88 Testarossa he had. Great color combo, not to mention the GTO. Was the GTO red? Thanks again! I love it.

3. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    24,000 miles. Thanks for the nice compliment.

4. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thanks again. I really appreciate it. I was a little afraid the color combo would be a little drab, but when they pulled it off the truck, I was really pleased. It is hard to take a good picture of this color car. Photos don't seem to do it justice.

5. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Boston Sportscar Company click for sale and scroll towards bottom or click here

http://www.bostonsportscar.com/1988%20TR.htm

6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Glad I could help. 328 GTB are coming and going fast.

Your car was a bit of a mystery car on the 328 GTB registry. Just the serial number and the build date. I will update the entry for your car.

-F

7. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
  8. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Yes, please update my car in the database, thank you. Thanks again for your post. Without it, I probably would not own this car.

9. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Love it!

-F

10. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Very cool car...and color combo.

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Oh my God, that car is gorgeous! I LOVE the color combination!!! I would love to see more photos. Congrats!

12. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thank you.

13. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thank you very much. When the sun comes out, I will try to take some more pics and post them. Like I said earlier, it is a hard color to photograph properly. It just doesn't look as good in photos as it does in person.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Congrats! Very cool color combination! Also, interesting that both Verde Scuro GTBs were delivered to AutoHaus. Thanks for sharing some great photos. Hope you enjoy some wonderful drives in your 328 this spring.

You are correct, his name was Hans, and they did use a Euro style yellow decal at the center of the rear window. I've seen the decal on a few cars. Actually Larry aka Zeus here on Fchat has a black/black 89 GTS that was originally delivered to AutoHaus and it has that same decal in the rear window.

I also know a guy that used to do work for AutoHaus. He indicated that after they lost the Ferrari franchise and decided to sell the cars, Hans had 2 low mileage 89 328s, a Red/Black 328 GTS and the Verde Scruro/Tan GTB. Both were for sale, and he said he should have bought one but instead purchased a white TR.

Nissan wasn't truly a new addition as they had Datsun in the early 80s.

15. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thanks. I can't wait to get plates and take it for a spin.

My car does not have the sticker in the rear window anymore. I wish it did. Did he sell the green/tan 328 before he sold mine or did they sell at the same time?

16. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #66 Dino944, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They took delivery and sold yours earlier. Yours is as you mentioned an 88.5. The Verde Scuro/Tan car is an 89. My understanding was Hans hung onto two 1989 328s. One was a red/black GTS, and the Green/tan GTB. He kept them for a few years after they lost their Ferrari franchise and the 328s had already been out of production for a few years. The guy I know that did work for AutoHaus had an opportunity to purchase either the red/black car (which I believe he said had around 750 miles), or the Verde Scuro/tan car, and to this day he kicks himself for not buying either of them.

Below is a photo I took that shows the Verde Scuro/Tan GTB in 2006 at Tutto Italiano (a car show in Brookline MA. I have the red 89 GTS next to the yellow 355. I remember the owner of the Verde/tan GTB telling someone the paint on his car was the worst he had seen on any 328 and that it must have been started late on a Friday afternoon when the workers wanted to go home, and finished the following Monday by workers that were hung over from the weekend. Congrats again and enjoy your beautiful 328!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    This GTB, 82906 is believed to be the last US GTB. there were quite a few GTS's after it.

Paint quality was very inconsistent. I remember we got a black GTS in 88 or so that looked like it was painted with a roller. None were great. They ranged from good to awful. It was great quality as far as durability went and most are still in good shape if just a modicum of care was taken but the word orange peal really doesn't describe how many of them were delivered.

18. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Thank you. I will.

Does anyone know what Hans' last name was? Or what year they lost their franchise?

Also, total longshot but does anyone have the dealer sticker they used to put in the windows or any pictures/info on the dealership?

19. -CD-

-CD- F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2005
    near the Nürburgring
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Great colour combo! Congrats! :)

20. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Yea, I've seen plenty of orange peel on 1980s Ferraris and some sloppy "belt line black paint" on several 308/328s. Just thought what the then owner of 82906 said was amusing.

The dealership was located in Cohasset, MA. The owner/head tech that works on my car was Autohaus's Ferrari Technician for I think close to 20 years, before he went out on his own and opened a shop. I'll try to remember to ask what Han's last name was next time I pop in to make an appointment for my spring service. IIRC it was a small dealership and I think he only had one or 2 bays allotted to him to work on Ferraris.

I think they lost their Fcar franchise sometime in the early to mid 1990s, but I'm not positive. I know one of my Dad's patients ordered and took delivery of an early 348TS from them.

21. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #71 Dino944, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi,

I just happened to pop into my local service shop to schedule a spring service and they had a 348ts that was originally delivered to Autohaus, which still had its Autohaus sticker. So I snapped a picture of the sticker. Sorry its the best I could do from where I was standing. The head tech/owner of the shop I go to was the Ferrari Tech for Autohaus and is the only person who has ever worked on this 348. He even remembers unloading this vehicle from the delivery truck when it was new, as it was their first 348. I wonder if he remembers your car as its such an unusual color?

Best regards,
    Dino
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Just got wind of this thread - thanks, Gus! - and this is an absolute treat to see. I can't believe this car came from California and I never saw it out here! I wonder if it was in NorCal. In any case, it's stunning. Thanks for posting.

It was owned by someone in Massachusetts in 1991; and then shown at a regional event at Lime Rock in '93 - but no word since. I wonder how long it was in California.

23. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    Love that colot combo. Congrats!

24. Driven1413

Driven1413 Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2004
    South Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #74 Driven1413, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    I worked at Autohaus in the late 90s.

The owners name was Fritz Muelhapt. His wife is Alice. They had a partner named Robert Guarino. They did have two 328s in their personal collection as mentioned above. The Green GTB (with two tone tan and brown interior) and a Red GTS with all black interior. Both cars had under 1K miles in 2004. There was also a unique Benz wagon and a 300ZX.

When Fritz passed, Alice sold both 328s to Boston Sportscar. They performed Major Services and listed the cars for sale. Brian bought the green GTB as mentioned.

I drove that green car on two occasions. Once when Fritz owned it and again when Brian took possession. Loved the handling and sound of that V8. I should have bought one of those cars when I had the chance, but do not regret my choice of the white TR. it was my boyhood dream car after all.

Congrats on your purchase! You have one very rare 328 there. Take good care of it!

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Stunning car in beautiful condition and a really exceptional colour combo. My Testarossa is rosso/nero and I feel distinctly boring now!