F Type coupe | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F Type coupe

Discussion in 'British' started by jimangle, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Being reported in Motor Trend this month that the F-Type will be getting a manual; however, I'll believe it when I see it.

2. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I test drove this beast a month or so ago. The V8 version. Carried over much from my range rover, so I was instantly comfortable and familiar.

Sound is out this world, good power/torque. But to be completely honest, it felt nowhere near the level of my 981 boxster. It's more of a luxury cruiser, than a performance car, regardless of the #'s on paper. It's high off the ground, steering feels luxury, not the responsive feel of a sports car. Way more body roll as well. The seating position/cockpit doesn't feel like a true performance car either. I ran it in their hardest sports setting most of the time, using the shifting paddles and just doesn't have the feel of a connected roaster.

I do really like the looks and that sound, while manufactured, certainly turns heads! Just too numb and un sports like feeling in my personal experience.

Perhaps I'm just not their target demographic,being in my mid 30's

3. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Here is a video of the new coupe. It shows lots of different camera angles of the car under accelerations. Personally, I like the looks of the convertible better, what do you guys think?

Chris

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIKgxb8k4sU]Jaguar F-type Coupe R V8 Hard Accelerations - YouTube[/ame]

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I like the coupe's esthetics more. But even if I didn't, the fact that it's 80% stiffer than the roadster . . . what more do we need?

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looks great, but HEAVY and autobox. Not really the real deal but probably ok for 80% or poseurs. Still a great looking car though.

6. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I took delivery of my ftype coupe R over the weekend. I will post more detailed thoughts on the car as I log more miles. It is a very exciting car - here is a pic.

[​IMG]

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Just absolutely gorgeous. Well done!

8. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Outstanding! Congrats!

9. thedoc

thedoc Formula 3

May 27, 2009
    The coupe is for drivers !!

From all accounts Brillliant car !

Gary
    Espada
    EtypeFHC

10. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Please share your thought! Beautiful car!

11. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    #136 rockminster, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some initial thoughts after only about 300 miles with the Coupe R.

The car gets a lot of attention (Ferrari-like) and many thumbs ups! I’ve found the controls and systems in the car to be quite intuitive and have had no issues despite not having yet opened the owner’s manual. There are some pretty neat little features – including the interior ambient lighting and the tachometer back lighting going to the color red when the car is put into dynamic mode. I also like that the car stays in whatever mode it was last in when it is turned off. Build quality appears to be very high and I’ve not observed any rattles or creaks. I had some pre-delivery reservations about the car not having a dual clutch gearbox but the ZF 8-speed is super smooth and very well matched to the engine.

The engine and exhaust note are the stars of the show. In dynamic mode the car sounds like no other production car I've driven or heard. It snorts and snaps and pops like a 70s Can Am car -- it's really quite a spectacle and needs to be heard in person to be appreciated. In regular mode the sound is nicely muted and makes for comfortable cruising without any fuss or unwanted attention.

To me the car is somewhere between a sports car and GT in the same way that a 911 or C7 vette would be. I quite like this as I plan to use the car as a daily driver and it provides the best of both worlds, particularly with the ability to go in and out of dynamic (sports car) mode at the push of a button.

I’ve not found anything that is a problem or a disappointment in my time with the car. A few items that take some getting used to are a) limited rear ¾ visibility on lane changes – you have to rely on the mirrors; b) the seat bottoms are quite firm; c) the steering is on the heavier side; and d) the digital display in the dashboard doesn’t have the crispness that I would have expected and that is present in the current Range Rover lineup.

Even in the softest mode the ride is on the firm side so anyone who likes a cushy ride or is on a lot of choppy roads would want to take an extended test drive before buying. Also, there are interior bits that are of a lower quality than I would like to see - somewhat akin to what you find in a Mercedes C class - not a problem just an area where it would be nice to a little higher end finish. I have the steel brakes and they work great for the street although I can see how the carbon's would be a nice option as the Coupe R puts on speed rapidly and while well balanced, it's not a lightweight.

All in all I think it's an awesome effort by Jaguar and for the price I would think it will do very well if they can be succesful in getting 911 buyers to go for test drives.

Here are some photos that I took of the car with it's "Uncle E" who is 51 years its senior! The difference is size is not surprising given the safety and comfort advancements over the years but it's still somewhat shocking when viewed side by side.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

nice write up. thank you. the f-type is a really pretty car and photos do not do it justice. this car should be a contender!!!

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Much as I love the F-Type, next to that E-Type, it's an ugly stepsister.

As an E-Type FHC owner, I'm biased of course, but what a timeless design!

14. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    Both are beautiful machines. The F has an Aston Martin profile, while the E is "just" one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. Great Picture!

15. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Another good comparison for the Coupe R in terms of driving manners is the MBZ CLK63 Black Series. Both are sludgehammers of cars with fabulous V8s that make great sounds. The Coupe R is more civilized and the chassis is easier to live with on a daily basis.

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I know looks are subjective, but to my eye the MBZ is not in the same beauty pageant as the F-type coupe.

17. ferraripete

ah...no! :)

18. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I agree. I was comparing Ftype and CLK Black Series driving characteristics and personality - not styling.

19. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I truly believe Jaguar is on the way back and that the F type is a brilliant car.
    Marketing and racing can change perceptions, but most important is having a great product, with the coupe in particular they have provided that.
    It might not replace the Italian car in my garage, but it could well replace the German one.

Sadly , the comany I think should be worried is Aston Martin who share the whole Brit Car thing with Jaguar but are out resourced by Coventry.
    Crunch time will be the launch of the the new XK replacement and the new DB9/S.
    The winner, i think, will take it all.

20. ferraripete

I think this is a very fair assessment. the f-type is a true contender in my view and the german product, while clearly of high quality and pedigree, does not match up favorably to f-type r in looks, performance or price. the f-type is a stunner and its beauty is not captured in print...in the metal its details, design and proportion are all there and then some!

I am a big fan of the aston vantage v-8 and am considering a used, very low mile coupe as my new semi-daily driver as the prices have seemed to plummet. however a new f-type r on a lease may be a better value proposition for me and the performance is far superior.

folks, just wait until the tuners get ahold of the f-type r...re-map the chip, pullys...etc...600 plus hp easy!!!!!!!

21. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I agree with the impending threat to Aston which existed before the F-type's arrival but the heat is now turned up. The AM Vantage V8 is an attractive car but other than the prestige of being an Aston it's a tough comparo vs. the Ftype. Perhaps AM's engine deal with Mercedes will be the first step toward an aquisition which is likely the only way that AM survives as a brand.

I expect that Jaguar will take Ftype racing, either factory backed or outsourced, and that will be fun to watch. If the race cars can retain the sound of the street cars the Jag's will be among the most popular cars at any venue they run.

22. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for your review!
    How do you think the F-type compares to the V12 Vantage? I would think there would be pressure on both model Vantages.

23. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I don't have any personal experience with the V12 Vantage so I can't say. I think you can almost buy both an Ftype Coupe R and an Ftype Roadster S for the price of the V12 Vantage so once the cost equation is considered I think that the Jag will be tough to beat. Maybe someone else has direct driver feedback on both cars.

24. SkipM

SkipM Rookie

Jun 6, 2014
    Boca
    Full Name:
    Skip Middleton
    Agreed - and the tuners are here - go drive one - they're a blast!

25. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I've had my f type for 3 months now and is an incredible car. Not just for the money but just plain incredible. I've owned sings pretty amazing cars but they all had flaws. The jag has none. It's quick, stops well, turns well and it's beautiful. The last car i had that turned heads like this was my yellow 355 spider. People constantly give me thumbs up or just want to stop and talk about it.