The mighty 5000 GT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

The mighty 5000 GT

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Oct 12, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Ramin,

Walter chose over a year ago not to take part here anymore, if you look at the date of his last posts they are at least a year old.

Regarding the Shah's 500GT which I enjoyed seeing at the Maserati exhibition at the casa Enzo Ferrari museum last December 1 for the very first time, a very knowledgeable Frenchman whose word I trust said to me 3 or 4 years ago that it was owned by the Peugeot family. It could well be true, they are extremely private about their collection due to social pressure from unions etc.

Best regards,

Marc

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #27 Nembo1777, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. BartvanderWeiden

BartvanderWeiden Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    Marc,

"002" was purchased in the early ninetees in the US from MCG (whom you know well). I had it under my custody for almost 2 years. Most of its time in the Netherlands she was on display at the entrance hall of a big car lease company here. I must have been the last person who took the car out and did a dougnut (by accident) on a damp street... She had massive torque and power, difficult to bring to the street via these 16" Cinturato's!
    A good friend if mine brokered her to one of the Peugeot brothers in the early nineties. I once visited the private collection in east Paris where she was on display. I never heard that she changed hands since.
    While running she made a lot of mechanical but not unplessant noise from her slightly detuned 450S engine! For me not a beautiful design but certainly a very special car and with ditto history!
    Ciao,
    Bart

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #29 Nembo1777, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Hi Bart,

Yes Ed Waterman from Motorcar Gallery had it briefly. Good to ascertain who owns it.

I once interviewed the Shah's now deceased youngest son for someone else's book project (please don't ask) and while he was extremely young in the days before his father lost power and went into exile, he confirmed the Shah would take one of his many sports cars for a ride with security guards following as best they could in a big Mercedes sedan! I had the opportunity to speak with a couple of the historians who know the collection best and who occasionally post here such as Ramin. Many of the cars are still in a museum controlled by the government.

Regarding the 5000GT yes apparently very little differentiates the engine from a 450S version which they more or less shoehorned into the car, the priority being to deliver the Shah what he had required "a 3500GT with a big engine".

Best regards,

Marc

5. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    The car was for sale in 1987 by Motorcar Gallery for 77,500 $ .
    In 1989 the car was in france and featured by the magazine auto passion and later the car was sold by the italian sports car auction in paris in 1989.

6. BartvanderWeiden

BartvanderWeiden Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart van der Weiden
    Thanx for the update. Time flies! Than it must have been '87. It was a package deal 002, a Vignale Spider with hardtop, a 330GT 2+2 single headlights and a Miura S. I do not want to repeat here what we paid for the lot then!:)
    Ciao,
    Bart

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Come on Bart, you're not shy you're Dutch: please tell us:)

It will be a nice perspective 10 days before the Paris auctions:)

Marc

8. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    Bart,
    I looked in my register and found some nice photos about the 002 when it was owned by Mr. Wetsel in the 80teens who lived in Advance North Carolina.
    But my register has some little gaps ?
    perhaps you can close them :)

Kind regards
    Nico

9. nico5000GT

nico5000GT Karting

Feb 28, 2010
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Nicolas Maier
    I also found a later from Wessel in 1982. In this letter he wrote that he owned 002 for one time, but he sold the car to europe ?
    I think there is something wrong :(

10. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer

Thank you Ralph, very good to know.

Apparently, this is the 4th 3500 Built per W.Baeumer.

Ciao and best!

11. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    #36 arttidesco, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi Marc,

Thank you for the update. What's important is that this car seems to be in good hands and well taken care of as it is a big part of our motoring history here.

Best Regards,

Ramin