Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918 | Page 639 | FerrariChat

Ferrari LaFerrari vs Mclaren P1 vs Porsche 918

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by mpowered, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Apolo1

Apolo1 Karting

Feb 10, 2015
    like the chap says above mission done, they sold the cars...

2. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
    From what I know, Lieb have been specifically told not to go past 300kph at the Nurburgring because of a tyre issue...this was confirmed by various sources outside Porsche working specifically on the tyre development.

3. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was looking forward to the TG review of these 3 hypercars but mostly I was looking forward to JC legally changing his name to Jennifer. Oh well, I have just lost the little respect I still had for McLaren.

IMHO, Porsche has just won by default and McLaren has just left their fan boys stranded looking like slapped a$$e$.

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I believe Jethro Bovington / EVO complained about that when hotlapping at Angelsly.

It is also why McLaren wasn't too keen on a head to head against the Porsche on Dunsfold. Corners like the Hammerhead apparently favour the drivingcharacteristics of the Porsche and therefor the Porsche might be quicker on a single lap (in HL-mode). According to JC.

I for one can understand why McLaren would be reluctant to have their @sses handed to them by Porsche on Dunsfold. Could you imagine the marketing nightmare when a P1 beats a LaFerrari at Fiorano?

5. Apolo1

Apolo1 Karting

Feb 10, 2015
    But no doubt that a lot of owners purchased a P1 on the back of it being " P1".....

I Would expect to see a few around soon.....

Looking forward to see how our friend is going to talk his way out of this one......lol

6. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    #15956 boyko23, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    I'm sure they have a conference right now in one of the hidden boards of macAgreeOrBanLife.com and will come with declaration later today in the face of their newly employed PR manager... :)

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #15957 Napolis, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    #15958 LMFAO, Feb 23, 2015
    Well that's the secondary problem of lap times with Porsche fan boys. Even when you beat them, they'll say you cheated.

Sure it was. That's why it's on their site.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1403_mclaren_p1_how_i_set_the_motor_trend_production_car_record/specs.html

"How I Set The Motor Trend Production-Car Record" - Looks pretty official to me.

Way to be disingenuous. That's because it can only be used for about 2 minutes of the 7 minute 'ring lap, as shown by Laguna Seca telemetry. If the 918 is 1.5s slower by lap 3, what even happens on Anglesey Coastal on lap 3, where it's 1.2s slower even in HL? 2.7s slower?:D It's almost farcical. As for those 4s, yeah, HL gives 4s on the early stages of the 'ring, when it's used, then oh dear, it runs out, and a amateur driver can pull 4s back just between the gantry and bridge on Dottinger despite lifting off for traffic.

When I look at the corkscrew and final turn on Laguna Seca, I recognise those turns from somewhere else... a multi-storey car park.... I bet the 918 would be really fast around one of those things.

9. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Clarkson was right. What a bunch of pansies. You spend all this money, yet they wont let you run the car.

Both Mac and Ferrari are a bunch of idiots over this.

10. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Clarkson was right. What a bunch of pansies. You spend all this money, yet they wont let you run the car.

Both Mac and Ferrari are a bunch of idiots over this.

11. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    Bit of that yes, the other aspect is that it isn't a proper lap because it uses a standing start.

McLaren agreed to race somewhere else but insisted on customer cars, whereas Ferrari insisted on factory cars.

12. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    #15962 LMFAO, Feb 23, 2015
    Bit of that yes, the other aspect is that it isn't a proper lap because it uses a standing start.

McLaren agreed to race somewhere else but insisted on customer cars, whereas Ferrari insisted on factory cars.

That's because Lieb had completely expended HL mode during the early stages of the lap, whereas HvS hadn't. The P1 is faster than either speed on that straight even with a customer driving.

3-4s over about 2-3 minutes of that 14 mile track. That's what you keep failing to mention.

Nah, flat battery from using HL mode.

All cars have limitations, that's why Pikes Peak hillclimb cars and F1 cars look different. If McLaren had built a 900+hp road car for Dunsfold and Laguna Seca, it wouldn't be RWD. It's that simple.

What McLaren and Ferrari should agree to do is have the race at Monza, just for comedy at Porsche's expense.

13. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    James May has just tweeted:
    So that's that sorted then. Move along, nothing to see here...

;)

14. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    #15964 LMFAO, Feb 23, 2015
    In the Olympic 100 metres, would you use spikes or Doc Martins?

PZCS
    Pirelli PZero Corsa System | the Pirelli PZero Corsa System reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

MPSC2
    Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 | the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

Trofeo R
    Pirelli P Zero Trofeo | the Pirelli P Zero Trofeo reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

Never before has a sentence been so completely wrong.

918 faster*

*For 90s only.
    *On slow short track only.
    *If there are lots of 40mph corners only.
    *Speeds must not exceed 165mph.
    *Battery must be fully charged.
    *Do not attempt to be faster for multiple laps on track days, may result in humiliation.
    *All GP tracks to be avoided... except Monaco.

No, they claimed bs weight and acceleration figures instead and then prevented any magazine from weighing or testing them. Arguably far worse.

15. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Wow, wow, wow... :)

I'll say only one thing - you are a real disgrace for all the Mclaren owners... :)

Go on, it's funny for all the rest :)

16. boyko23

boyko23 Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2014
    Wow, wow, wow... :)

I'll say only one thing - you are a real disgrace for all the Mclaren owners... :)

Go on, it's funny for all the rest :)

17. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

The question is whether or not a costumer P1 will be on Trofeo's or on Corsa's. Apperantly, it does make a difference.

18. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    So, the Porsche gets mocked for being quick on slow and medium tracks and the P1 gets applauded for being quick on faster tracks? How is that for consistent debating?

19. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This thread will never die. Get ready guys, LMFAO has just reloaded. :)

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This thread will never die. Get ready guys LMFAO has just reloaded.

21. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    Let's sum up all the fantasies that came from McLaren camp prior to all these comparison tests...

P1 was to be/have
    - fastest car on any track(not just fast tracks, any track)
    - faster than GT3 cars on some tracks
    - most advanced aerodynamics of the three that would enable it to corner at 2G+(let's remember the silly claims of 3.5G and 5G that came from "insiders that know/were told")
    - the best brakes
    - much lighter than 918 and probably lighter than LaFerrari

What we ended up with is a very good car that cannot accomplish any of the above feats, yet dire McLaren cultists still, to our amusement, act as it can.

22. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    #15972 LMFAO, Feb 23, 2015
    Well that's the problem. Arguably it should be on Trofeo Rs since the 918 is on MPSC2s but if the LaFerrari is there, then that may be unfair for it but then again, with bespoke tyres it's difficult to tell what's fair and what isn't. If these were off-the-shelf tyres, it'd be far simpler, just put them all on the same.

I wouldn't call Anglesey Coastal fast, it's just faster than Laguna Seca with one decent high speed sweeper and the 918 lost by 1.2s there, even when it was in HL mode. Top speed was just under 150mph. The 'ring has lots of high speed corners like that - Flugplatz, Schwedenkreuz, Kesselchen, Metzgesfeld, Klosteral 1, Pflanzgarten, AnfahrtSchwalbenschwanz, Tiergarten etc. It also has 3 points where the speed will exceed 180mph, and probably 200mph on 2 of them in the P1.

https://www.angleseycircuit.com/information/circuit-details/coastal

See lap at 12:23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiyyO7vrdiI

What do you define as a medium track? I wouldn't even say Anglesey Coastal qualifies as medium. There's a whole lot faster than that, for Laguna Seca, Dunsfold or Anglesey to be classed as 'medium'. Take a look at the F1 calendar. These tracks so far have all been go-kart tracks by comparison. 'Fast' would be Monza, Spa, Suzuka, Fuji Speedway, La Sarthe, Indianapolis Motor Speedway etc. Given the aforementioned, do any of the test tracks so far qualify as 'medium'?

Don't forget that from lap 3 onwards, the P1 was ~0.5s faster even at Laguna Seca, when the 918's HL mode ran out. So how much faster is it on Anglesey Coastal when the 918's HL mode runs dry? That's why the 918 gets mocked by people who are actually interested in track days and understand the issues. It's all very well having a quick burst of speed and running down the battery, but what happens after that when you're on a 20 lap track day stint? What happens after the first 5km of the Nordschleife (approx. 2 minutes)? Kesselchen, AnfahrtSchwalbenschwanz and Dottinger Hohe sections all come after the 5th kilometre and you're left with a car that wouldn't be quicker on them even in HL mode?

23. LMFAO

LMFAO Karting
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2015
    Only an idiot would believe absolutely 'any' track. That's just far too broad in scope and would even include dirt/gravel tracks. A rudimentary knowledge of physics tells you that couldn't be true.

I guess that really depends on the track. It would certainly have to have some very long straights.

Proven. Top Gear Parc Motor Castelloli (2.15g) and Texas World Speedway lap record (1.78g PZCS tyres).

Feel-wise also proven. Actually stopping distances are tyre-dependent.

Also true but not entirely verifiable due to the prohibition on Laferrari testing.

Check again.

24. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    So disappointed with Mac after watching last night's Top Gear. I could be disappointed with Ferrari too, but I expected them to be crappy. Regardless of the standing start and low-speed of the track favoring the 918, it would still be fun to see the lap times.

25. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    all of this has become ridiculous. Was it mclaren or top gear that didn't make it happen last night?

I understand ferrari wanting to provide the car. You want to control every variable in such a test. Who knows how well/fresh the customer car will be when they decide to use it for a laptime. Some Laf are one year old and have seen several track days.

Why not send 3 factory cars?