250 LM Hans Illert LM-P s/n 5899 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 LM Hans Illert LM-P s/n 5899

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by tomgt, Jul 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Was it because the cost? I guess Porsche 906 bodies were available for ordering from Stuttgart while 250LM bodies were not orderable from Maranello. Here's a partial chronology

66 - remains of crashed stock bodied car went to Hans Illert, Feldmeilen, CH
    who shortened chassis and fitted Porsche Carrera 6 bodywork
    re-named Illert LM-P

68 - engine swapped with David Piper for a 330P-engine

69 - body destroyed in an accident

70/jan/07 - remains sold to Guenther Breyer, Vienna, A
    7. - remains discovered by Paul Blancpain, Matran, CH
    74/sep - remains to René Widmer, CH
    76 - remains to Dr. Paul Schouwenburg, NL via Rob de la Rive Box
    7. - original engine traded back from Piper
    77/jun - Eric Stewart, UK - pop star, part of "10cc" pop duo buys the car
    77 - recreated by Rosso Racing Ltd./Victor Norman with reportedly a new chassis.
    I think it was about this time it got a new body of alloy 250LM style

So my question is: back in '77 when Dr. Schouwenburg had it, how much would an alloy body
    have cost to create then? I am guessing $20,000 or am I way off. Maybe the car underneath wasn't worth that re-bodying expense at that time?

Or how much do you think Rosso Racing Ltd. charged?

And now (cue dramatic music) for the modern price estimate, how much would creating a new alloy 250LM body cost today?
    I am guessing $200K

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yes, and compare that cost against the value then; maybe $30,000 to $40,000. I remember that about that time I had 5 interesting Ferraris, including a 500 Mondial, a 225 Vignale, and a 166MM S2, and was looking for about $25K each.

3. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I can remember sometime in the late 1950s I was at school near Thompson. The Ben Grosvenor Inn right across the street was a popular place for those and there cars racing at Thompson.We set up a makeshift Mille Miglia checkpoint across the road. Wish I had pictures. Lots of great machines including Ferraris passed thru. tongascrew

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Got lost in the chronology. I know Erik Stewart had the car restored
    but what car was he in when he crashed hard? Was it another Ferrari?
    On Wikipedia sad to read that when he came back to music, the trends had passed him by

5. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    Any pictures of it at Weerbergrennen, a hillclimb?

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  7. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
  8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    For when that link is no longer active:

9. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    But here a Swiss comment from 1983:" ... sold to Paul Schouwenburg ... but (Schouwenburg) was still unable to restore the car, which was bought by pop singer Eric Stewart in June 1977, who had a new chassis built and the car restored by Rosso Ltd. ... ".

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm not commenting on the chassis, only transcribing the pertinent information from Wally's link because that link will eventually go dead. I have never inspected the car myself and have no first-hand knowledge of how much, if any, of the original chassis remains with the car.

11. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    From Schouwenburg's book: Piper was supposed to restore the car but only removed the P-engine and sold it including the P-transmission which was in the car. This was not as Schouwenburg had agreed with Piper. Schouwenburg found an original 250 LM transmission in Piper’s workshop and took it in return. Piper did nothing else with the car over a period of months. Schouwnburg came back home with the car and sold the project.

12. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    No issue at all. I just misunderstood the added bolting, because on my computer the link still works. However, during the Eric Stewart/Vic Norman renewal 1977-81 the car or parts of it were not with Assistenza Clienti or Vaccari.

13. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Yes, this is also my understanding. Interestingly, after the project was sold to Eric Stewart, Piper got involved again and delivered Vic Norman/Rosso Ltd. a new chassis for the renewal.