355 exhaust advise please | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 exhaust advise please

Discussion in '348/355' started by husran 355, Mar 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #26 gothspeed, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    +1 ........... all currently true ..... however there is a new set of shielded 355 manifolds under development in the gothspeed abyss ...... we'll see what they do on the dyno once completed ..... :cool:
    +1 ......... the only downside IMO of using 360 manifolds is the primary cats would no longer be bypassed ......... which is not entirely a bad thing though ... :eek:

Yes .... the main benefit is the reduction of heat soaked metal, weight and complexity.

The F1 sound can be preserved with a well designed system. :)
    The difference is some later 360 manifolds have an integrated pre-cat, which will not fit in the 355 configuration. CS manifolds are very close to 355 manifolds but with a slightly larger collector and of course no post collector diversion.

2. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm selling my Tubi if anyone is looking for one. Pulling it off my car this Saturday.

3. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I'm just wondering.. how much is a used tubi worth these days?
    Thanks

4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Pics!

Your twin bypass systems? I would guess you do that for more flow area than a single valve but the exhaust merges in the muffler and is divorced from primary flow. Just a guess! Very nice stuff :)

5. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Gothspeed, I pm'ed your but your inbox is full

6. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I'm curious to hear Rifledriver's opinion on the Write-up on The Capristo exhaust system for our 355's.

Exhaust system for the F355. Made of (T309) stainless steel. This system fixes the known circular vacuum problems with the original F355 OEM system.

The problem begins once the OE cat bypass valve opens. Once the valve opens, the exhaust gases do not flow through the main catalytic converter but through the bypass channel. As exhaust gases flow upwards through this bypass channel, a vacuum is created within the primary catalysts and hot exhaust gases within the muffler (!) are drawn backwards through the main CAT and then back upward into the bypass channel! Indeed, when the exhaust gas valve is open, this gas flow is circulating ceaselessly generating more and more heat. This causes a huge reduction in performance and additionally heat up the gases. This problem was welll known to Ferrari. For this reason the F355 was changed in 1996 (2.7 to 5.2) and the manifolds were modified (lengthened) exactly in the place where the vacuum is generated. But the problem was not eliminated by this measure.

This extreme backpressure problem is the reason why the stock F355 never produces the quoted power output.

The Capristo exhaust was designed to eliminate this problem. Irrespective of the volume leve, each Capristo is designed so that the channel from the main catalytic converter to the outer end pipes is completely seperate from the upper bypass channel to the inner end pipes. Consequently it is not possible for a vacuum in the main cat to be generated - reducing temperatures and increasing performance.

7. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Admittedly, I'm a new kid here, but this is the first I've heard of this problem. Are you saying that Capristo is the only 'aftermarket' header/system manufacturer who has succeeded with a design that has fixed the problem?

8. mbarr

mbarr Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2004
    Texas
    Still for sale?

9. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Ferrari went from 2.7 to 5.2 (OBDII) to comply with new emission requirements. And IMO the OEM 2.7 manifolds diverge the bypass and main cat flow more equitably than the 5.2 manifolds. That said, the post collector investment cast diverge on newer fabspeed headers, divies the flow much better and smoothly than OEM 5.2 manifolds.

After many tests with stock/aftermarket manifolds and exhausts for the 355 ....... the few times I have observed reduced flow through the main cats, was if the bypass for whatever reason was open during low throttle/load situations. Higher throttle flowed through the main cats as normal.

Having an exhaust/muffler that combines the flow paths after the bypass and main cats ..... in and of itself is not a problem ....... as long as the bypass flow is complementary to main cat flow.

Having separate flow paths is a positive as long as the bypass valve(s) are operating properly (closed at low RPM and open at upper RPM). But, if the flow paths are separate and the bypass is wired or stuck open at low throttle/load .... one could draw some atmospheric air through the main cats, which would affect O2 sensor readings.

So in summary ...... make sure your bypass valve is functional and not stuck open .... primarily on the multiple main cat O2 sensor 5.2 355.

10. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    When you guys are talking about cat delete / bypass, are you doing this on 1995 cars or later OBII cars? If on later cars, what are you doing to avoid check engine lights, etc.

11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Thats the ITO Racing exhaust (the Japanese Capristo). Very nicely built.

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I just called Nick Forza for price on a Capristo 2. $3900 with 2 week lead time. He wouldn't go any lower.

When the valve is closed, the Capristo 2 under low rpms should be the loudest of the 3 variations (cap 1,2,3). When the valve is open, all 3 should sound the same. Under low rpm, the cap 3 is too quiet for me. Almost mercedes like. Even with my bypass wired open. I need it louder , so i would like to try out a Cap 2.

My Capristo 3 will be up for sale soon. $3,000. $100 to ship. Pick-up in So Cal no problem.

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Hmm, I thought 1/2/3 was referring noise level with closed bypass, 1 quietest 3 loudest.

2 is not very loud at all unless the bypass is open

14. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I know. It seems weird, but this is from the Capristo rep's own words. If you want 3, we can do a straight trade :).

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Cap 3 has the same quietness as a Cap 1 when valve is closed. There's a thread about this somewhere.

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes I read it. Rather counterintuitive numbering if you ask me :)

Yours is a 2.7 correct? You can order it without the bypass thermocouple bung if you like. (which is what I did).

You should see if they will make you a custom 3/3. When I looked inside the primary inlets it appeared to be a sort of restrictor plate, like a percentage of the primary flow was blocked to quiet it down.

I'm just going off of what I could see so not 100% sure, but looks like it could be made to easily be louder on the primary side. (You could probably have a fab shop do the same to yours, just cut the inlets off of the muffler, remove the restriction and weld the inlets back on).

18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I'll have to take it off to see what youre talking about. Should be soon :).

19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Under normal/low rpms Tubi was significantly louder and throatier. I would like the Capristo to match that at the very least. When valve opened, the Capristo is a screamer. There's not much of a pitch change with the Tubi.

20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    You will need a small inspection mirror to see inside fwiw.

21. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Where would you find Ito?

22. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    The preliminary design involving tube sizes and the proprietary new 'goth' collector is completed :) ...... now working on CAD drawings for the CNC parts of it .... :eek:

Yes, twin valves offer quite a bit more top end flow capacity ....... and on the 5.2 example in the video .... the flow paths are 'essentially' separate .... but on my 2.7 version the flow paths are creatively merged down to 2 'monster' exits ...... :)

I should still have room :confused: ...... I will have to see what is going on with that ..... :eek:

23. Gregg608

Gregg608 Rookie

Apr 25, 2009
    Houston
    Fabspeed Headers, Fabspeed Hi Flow Cats and Kreissieg F1 Valvetronic Cat Back.

24. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Do you have that setup in your car? It's the perfect one IMO, would love to see a video of it.

25. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    I would as well! Those Kreissieg's are sweeeeet!