Who likes cruise on their 458? | FerrariChat

Who likes cruise on their 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by skinguy23, Jun 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just curious how many of you like the cruise option. I have found that on longer drives with my previous f cars (f430, scud, 360, 599) that it was difficult to maintain a constant speed. I was either accelerating past my desired speed or decelerating below it. I didn't mind so much for shorter spirited drives, but over a couple hundred miles, I wanted to relax a little. Even with radar detection, I felt like a target. I ordered cruise on my spider and coupe.

2. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have read that you are not alone and some welcome the convenience. Personally I have never found cruise control mechanisms particularly useful but when I do have one as is the case on them may rely on it when in a very restricted speed zone , near a speed trap, when a highway patrol car appears to "like me" a little too much etc. Best

3. Mig7410

Mig7410 Karting

Feb 16, 2013
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Mike Martin
    Very seldom drive on the interstate, but when I do I use cruise control.

4. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I find cruise control very comfortable on superhighways, particularly when Mrs. Ski Bum is in the car. Set the cruise control for 74mph, shift into 7th gear (very quiet) and crank up some tunes. It's like crusing in a GT. Then just downshift into 5th and the world changes....

5. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    No cruise for me on my 458:(. Should be standard.

6. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    All 458s are wired for cruise. About $2k at the dealer. Takes a half day to install.

We have cruise on our other three cars. Only time I use it is on long trips on the Interstate. Thought I would go a year and see if I need it on 458. So far after 6k miles and 2.5 months I have not needed it. Longest trip so far has been about 5 hours.

Friend who has cruise on 458 Spider says there is no "resume" feature. You have to reset it each time. But he says he can't hold it on 80 (speed limit 75) on the Interstate. I have no problem...just put it in 7th gear. :cool:

7. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    Phil:
    I think you can "resume" by quickly (not long enough to reset the speed) turning the knob clockwise and releasing it.

8. F430kenric

F430kenric Formula 3

Mar 27, 2011
    Didn't know that. Great to hear. Thx.

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Do you have a photo of the 458 cruise control; is it a column stalk, buttons and/or software?

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Called "pit speed" and is built in on the left side, a twisty knob. Not intuitive like most everything ferrari, but it works great. Used it a lot on my bucket list drive.

11. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    I had this problem with my 2010. Loved the car, but it was actually difficult to modulate to keep at one speed. I ordered "Pit Speed" (cruise control) for my 2012.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Loved it. I didn't use it all the time but when we had longer roadtrips that required those boring freeway cruises, especially with traffic around us, it was a godsend.

12. LABrit

LABrit Karting

Aug 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have it on my Speciale - for road trips i always like the option of having cruise control but if i'm honest the Speciale is so alive and hyper alert that i don't use it as often as i thought i would as the car likes to be modulated by the throttle quite frequently.

13. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have adaptive cruise on RS5. Had to get it to get the dynamic (faster firmer) steering. To my surprise I use it to keep my distance from the car ahead in fast moving traffic which reduces rock chips.

14. Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    #14 Lucky Larry, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    We drove our first Ferrari from California back to Texas mostly on interstate. Long trip.
    Not only is cruise nice, but on long trips it can help you physically, because you can move your right leg around. Not only does this make the drive more comfortable, but it can also help keep you from having poor circulation in your leg. Now if you've never had a circulation problem you can't understand how important this is, or what you have to go through to fix it(if you're lucky). I didn't, but I was younger and thought I did plenty to stay in good shape, and I was tough. But guess what? It regretfully caught up with me, and now I really understand how important it is to maintain movement. Now, I stop usually every 2-3 hours at travel centers just to walk for 5 minutes. I was surprised at first that this really didn't cost me a lot of time on a long trip, I felt better, and stayed more alert as well. If you drive any car for long distances get cruise.

15. rblissjr

rblissjr Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2009
    Westlake Village, Ca
    Full Name:
    Robert Bliss
    I didn't have cruise on my previous F cars but found myself wishing I did at times. Ordered it on the Speciale and happy I did! Doing a long drive tomorrow and I am sure I will use it a few times.

16. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Never owned a F car so i took my dealers recommendation...That i should delete it...He almost never put that down as an option. So I deleted it. Now that I've had it for 2 weeks, i can see the benefit for a longer highway drive. You have to keep on the gas to keep the speed constant. More so than a regular car. I have it on my other 2 cars and find it is really nice. Wish i would have kept it, but not a big deal in the long run...

17. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I never use cruise, even on the highway, because I am always driving above the speed limit. I modulate my speed based on traffic patterns, where I see a cop hiding, etc. I find not using it makes me a more alert and aware driver.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I like that cruise is an option. And I understand its appeal for some. But in my nearly 30 years of driving, I think I've used cruise control 2x. It has zero appeal to me. However, I am glad those who do like it have a choice.

(Id rather have a choice of transmissions... :) )

19. AWSOM50

AWSOM50 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I have the cruise option but I have never used it. I prefer to keep it in 6th (sometimes 7th) and use my right foot. Otherwise I'd probably fall asleep at the wheel - hate motorway driving.

20. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Wouldn't do without it particularly on longer drives.

21. fuddman

fuddman Karting

Jan 11, 2015
    I recently found out all 458s comes wired for cruise control. And the dealer can hook up all the right wires so you can have it. Wire connecting is tedious work so, bring your check book and make sure you have a sufficient bank balance. You might, actually, bring the issue to the CA who talked you out of it. It seems to me his advice was poorly framed and , on that basis, warrants an installation price break.
    I wonder if the car is also wired for heated seats?

22. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    I ordered cruise on my 458 even though my dealer advised against it. Like others said its great for long trips and if you have smokey pacing behind you or shooting mobile radar!

23. Terrible expert

Terrible expert Karting

Sep 10, 2012
    Harrogate, North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Kev W
    Yep! I've only owned my 458 for a matter of hours but cruise is a must for me. If it didn't have it id be paying whatever it cost to get it as this machine is a license loser if your not careful, very careful!

24. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Well a radar detector is cheaper.

Best

25. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    Actually not. Many cops use laser now or both so a good radar/laser jammer system installed could cost you about $2500 easy.