Carbon Ceramic Brakes | FerrariChat

Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Discussion in '360/430' started by gandalfthegray., Apr 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey folks, given a car was used for spirited street use and not track duty, how many miles would you think to get out of a set of CCB's?

I know different driving styles will effect this, but just a general idea. I've been looking at a car with 34k miles and just wondering if the brakes will be an issue soon? Some of the guys on the Gallardo forums reported 60k - 70k miles with little wear at all.

Thanks!

2. Loz997S

Loz997S Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Laurence D
    You should just get a wear measurement on the rotors and pads. I was given that when I bought my car (single figures % in 20k miles). The numbers you quoted aren't unreasonable for rotors.

3. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    If you are not tracking the car, the CC rotors should last you forever. The break pads it's a different story but not too expensive to change them anyway.

4. JuniorGTR

JuniorGTR Karting

Mar 6, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Jr
    I have CCBs on another one of my cars( a heavy one at that ) and even under pretty heavy street abuse they are still practically new. Like mentioned the pads take all the abuse, but are not expensive to replace.

5. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been told by Ferrari mechanics that the rotors should/will be good for 100K miles.

6. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I believe that!

7. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    +1

8. gandalfthegray.

gandalfthegray. Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Pinewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the feedback! I love the idea of having the CCB's but was afraid to step into a very expensive service that may have been due.

9. Living4life

Living4life Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2008
    Street car will almost never wear them out. The pads yes but not the rotors. Racing the car can kill anything.

10. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    As far as I know, the discs will not get thinner, but at the end of their life, very little parts of them will start to peel off. So basically they will look "as new" almost to the end of their life :) . I'm also not so sure how the onboard computer measures the wear, but I saw a company in Germany, that can recycle them.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I think the only way to tell how "worn" the CCB rotors are is to weigh them. The minimum weight should be stamped on them someplace. Unless the prior owner was a track hound, they should be good for many miles; probably longer than most people own their cars before trading them.

12. Modena F1

Modena F1 Karting

Aug 1, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Josep
    Can you post information about this Germany Company?

13. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    That is a VERY handy link!!!!! :D

14. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I'm glad I can help. If someone uses their service, please share the result.

15. Modena F1

Modena F1 Karting

Aug 1, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Josep
    I will try the service with a set for my Challenge Stradale. I will share my experience with all

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is also a thread on here somewhere about these guys. Back then someone tried them and posted that they were good but there wasn't much detail.

17. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Someone on one of the UK forums just posted their experience with SICOM refurbished ceramic disks.

SICOM CCM Discs

18. mah_hai

mah_hai Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Canada
    Great Link! Thanks for sharing, seems like Carbon brakes are going to get cheaper and theres going to be more solutions very soon.

definately going to be tracking my car on CCB more knowing there are disk refurbishing solutions.

19. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    You can also replace the rotors & pads w steel for the track, gyro disk makes hats & rotors, and keep the CCM perfect for later resale. On track they won't last 30 days. The ccm are better- lighter & virtually no fade but hardly worth the 35k it will cost to replace. IMHO - steel for the track, ccm for the street. Look at the 458 challenge cars, most guys take them off. Dealer told me the abs computer would freak out- not true.

20. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, obviously with this solution they will not cost $35K to replace :)

21. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    I'll wait to hear from trusted sources not the Internet, before I consider an "rebaked" ccm disk equal to OEM and ok for my car on track.

Good luck!

22. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    I'll wait to hear from trusted sources not the Internet, before I consider an "rebaked" ccm disk equal to OEM and ok for my car on track.

Good luck!

23. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Sensible words.

24. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    For sure if this company exists and offers its service in Germany, where they have these strict technical checks, called TÜV, they can't afford to offer a mediocre service.

The fact, that they have their representative in the UK is also not to be underestimated.