My 348 rear ended today in Colorado. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My 348 rear ended today in Colorado.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Falcon Wing, Oct 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Sic DrS on 'em!

2. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Someone should ask the seller if there has been any paint work done and if has ever been in an accident?

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    How can it possibly have a clean carfax report??? It must have to do with the delay from which the insurance company reports it to carfax.

Post the vin# and it will at least show up in a google search if a prospective buyer searches it.

I hate freakin people like this. There is another guy over in Ohio who is selling a 348 that was out in CA 6 months ago at a Merc dealer in Long Beach (ebay) and was disclosed in that listing as a salvage title, I have a hard copy of the carfax myself (stating salvage) and the guy continues to list it as clean title...

4. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    ZFFFG36A8L0086123

5. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Someone needs to contact the Colorado Motor Vehicle Division Dealer Licensing unit with the seller's plate number and report it. One of the pics clearly shows the dealer plate on the back.

I believe this falls under fraud....no?

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    VIN ZFFFG36A8L0086123 Salvage Title Ferrari 348

:)

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    This is absolutely outrageous. Should be against the law.

No problem with salvage vehicles or prices high or low.

But I have a problem with Fraud. Plain and simple. Go get 'em.

Robb

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Well it just proves what many said and thought about this car, it would be an easy fix to make right again. It does look like whoever worked on it did a good job but it should be sold for what it is, a salvage title car. And car dealers wonder why they have the rep they do, this is a glaring example.

9. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I wonder if they addressed the leak that developed at the front of the engine after the accident. Suppose they dropped the cradle and fixed that?

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    SURE they did!!
    Amazing thread....

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Pretty sure it is against the law. Any car with a salvage title is suposed to be inspected via the DMV before it can get a new title which will be then "branded".

The seller may have only bought the car from auction and fixed it up and have yet tried to title/register it or...???

There is no question the car was damaged, but beyond that do we actually know what the insurance company did and or classified the car as later in the process?

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    The seller should sue the CO DMV and insurance company for salvage fraud to get thetitle reinstated. Then they can sell it fairly as advertised. I know an attorney who will do this. :D

BIG J/K

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    How is the seller a victim here. Based on the time of the original accident, the long process of dealing with insurance and then repairs, I think most people here are assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the seller is the party who purchased the vehicle from the insurance company/auction, repaired it and is now selling it... at least that's what I'm assuming.

It seems like they are trying to fix it flip it and get it sold before the paper trail of the accident shows up on carfax...pure speculation on my part

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    You are completely missing the wit. Search FChat for "Buckley".

15. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    I don't know how they do this. I am a dealer and it pisses me off to see things like this. Last spring there was a 94 348 spider on copart and the title was a ny 907a and to add to that it was marked " for parts only " . That car can not ever be titled , not even if branded salvage. The car was a Sandy flood car from nj. The car sold on copart , a New Hampshire dealer bought it , did nothing to it , listed it on Ebay as a flood car , made no statements as to running condition ( which it did not run ) but they stated " the buyer will receive a clear New Hampshire title" . I don't know how they did that and I've been wondering how that buyer made out.

16. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    This is done by gaming the national system which often doesn't share salvage data state to state.

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    There is some "fine print' on the copart site in which it states that certain cars will come with differing sets of papers depending on who the buyer is. If you are a registered dealer of some level/classification with them on some cars you get paperwork which will allow you to obtain a clear title. If you are a regular person buying through a copart broker you will not get the same paperwork.

There are obvioulsy rules and loopholes that us laypeople are unaware of. The only recourse we have is watching cars like this and bring them to th attention of as many people as possible in the hopes that at least some potnetial buyers find the truth.

18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Glad you both are ok . If it can be fixed with money it's not broke .

19. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    It is entirely too easy to get a clear title on a car like this... just takes a little gaming of the system as noted above. Even companies like Carfax can miss stuff like this, with Ferrari's it's relatively easy to avoid getting gamed too badly if you ask around.

20. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
  21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well, that's interesting because if I have the story right, he was the one who repaired the car. He bought it when it was offered by the insurance company. I could be wrong about that but that's the story I heard from another dealer that was offered the car in wrecked condition. Regardless, I have no idea how he could "not know."

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #147 El Wayne, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Very, very interesting. Makes me wish I were licensed in Colorado as well as where I am ...

24. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I contacted him and was interested in possibly buying the car. I mentioned the wreck and that I could send some photos of it. He gave me his email and then this is what I got back:

---------------

its not salvaged first of all i already told u that and i didnt ask for those pictures, and if those pictures look like frame damage to you than i am blind

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Said like a true used car salesman....and yes, he is blind. ;)