Market Discussion for the 355 Serie Fiorano | FerrariChat

Market Discussion for the 355 Serie Fiorano

Discussion in '348/355' started by surfwolf, Jun 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfwolf

surfwolf Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2012
    Bethany, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael Wolfe
    #1 surfwolf, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2015
    [The 355 Serie Fiorano is a] nice car but looks like it is asking an outrageous premium ($100k over priced?) for a 355 spider with higher miles & lots of deferred maintenance that has a special name plate. No worries Dave, you are in NY, which means you call them like you see them (not sugar coated).

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#2 348SStb, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Thank you for the kind words.

I acually decided to delete my post. It was a lengthy rant. My feelings on this topic are well known. I disagree intensely with what is going on and I see no justification for it; and I would advise any peer friend or family member alike shopping for an F-Car to beware of the nonsense.

3. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    Prices were already climbing and I think they've gone crazier ever since the Ferrari brass has said they will not make naturally aspirated cars anymore...I can't fathom spending 458 money on a 355 personally..but these serie fiorano are rare and people are willing to pay top $$$..the fact that this one is gated is especially cool..I don't know that i've seen a non F1 serie fiorano before.

4. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Totally agree. You can throw it out there at any price, doesn't mean it is warranted nor market value.

5. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just because you see these high prices on all these cars doesn't necessarily mean people are paying that... Some of the cars on the market have been there for a VERY LONG TIME.
    .. that being said.. Nice 355 though!

6. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I didn't see your post but I am interested in what you might have said. Could you please pm me. Thanks.

7. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Doesn't that go for anything?

8. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #8 Sandy Eggo, Jun 8, 2015
    You can disagree intensely all you want but the market doesn't care what you think - if there are buyers at these levels, there are buyers.

I wish I had bought a 3 pedal Fiorano when I had the chance 2-3 years ago when they traded for ~$70-80k. I knew this day would come but I was too much of a wuss to pull the trigger.

9. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#9 348SStb, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Thanks for the tweak.

The market doesn't care what you think either.

10. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #10 darth550, Jun 9, 2015
    WOW! What a cool thread... :eek: Bourgeois attitudes, arguing over hearsay, proof69...... all the important players are here.... :rolleyes:

Fact is: At one of 6 (or 7?) ever produced, this is probably one of, if not theee the most collectible F cars of the modern era. :)

11. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Haha interesting take on it. Bourgeois?? :D

This is like saying a 348 Speciale is one of the most collectible cars of all time. It's a gimmick. The 348 Speciale (notice my screen name) was a gimmick and so is the Fiorano. A badge here and there. The Speciale had a better exhaust and more power, and the Fiorano has just the name and the minor cosmetic changes.

I personally would like to see the Kool-Aid drinker who pays for one several times the price of a nice 1999 355 Spider for $60-somethingK. I wish someone would come up with a reasonable response to that contention instead of getting emotional and upset over the different point of view I am trying to explore with those who disagree?

12. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I know all about the Fioranos too (Parts bin stories and all) but it is what it is, rare, collectible and a stick. Hell, look at 308 prices....

13. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

You are so right. Let them pay 200k for a Fiorano. Just never forget the words of P.T. Barnum.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I'd like to suggest that the members take the "value" or "worth it" discussion (which can be fair game and good information) to discuss in the proper F355 or general or P&R forums - not here.

Let's show how respectful we can all be by not bashing a car, or its owner's write-up in an ad. You wouldn't want to see that if you were selling a car or a rare part. I understand people have general, societal pet-peeves. An ad just isn't the place to debate it.

Robb

15. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Excellent post, why do people feel the need to say what they think a car is worth, the seller can price it as they see fit and the market will prove them right or wrong. What do they have to gain or lose based upon what price a seller decides for their car?

16. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    An ass for every seat. - P T Barnum :)

17. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I think Idiot bashers who come to this section with zero intent to ever buy a damn thing (or add one iota of value) should be treated the same way the spoilers are in the F1 section....

I'm pretty sure Rob is running a business here and would hate to see the folks who have to subscribe to post ads get sick of these Asshats and drive them to use cars.com next time....

just sayin'

18. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Great point. Take the noise about values to the model sections.

19. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    lol

20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I personally don't think they're worth anything more than 10 maybe 15 percent more than a regular Spider in the same condition.

I'd rather have a 355 Challenge for that money.

21. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    fchat is famous for "its worth whatever someone is willing to pay"

now all of a sudden because some people who don't have the wealth to play today or maybe they didn't play in 09 and 10 think that whats going on is ridiculous? why is it ridiculous? if someone can sell hot dogs for 30 a pop why not? ive paid 70 bucks for a cheeseburger and id do it again.

Most of the prices are set by sellers. most dealers don't have the balance sheet to buy cars and "corner" a market. for the select dealers who can buy cars and hold them in inventory, then why shld anything stop them from asking whatever the market will support. If theyre buying cars outright they have every right to get compensated for that risk. Just like any other business. Lets face it, Ferrari is the biggest culprit. F40s and 288s jumped big when laferrari price was announced. The idea that there is gauging is totally ridiculous. Ferraris aren't a commodity like oil.

if you don't have a firano today and u don't think its worth todays price it makes sense, because you obviously didn't think it was worth the y price in 2009/2010.

in my eyes the 355 is the prettiest and best sounding ferrai post the f40, its analog, it was ahead of its time and is the quintessential drivers car - it shld trade at 300 to 400K all day

22. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They were the last and best of the breed with the fiorano handling package on them, which is rare as hens teeth - I've never seen a 355 so equipped that wasn't a fiorano, but they're apparently out there.

It would cost you 10-15%the cost of a standard '99 spider to add the fiorano bits (if you could find them) and it still wouldn't have been born that way, which is valued at a premium (like it or not).

23. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Some Ferrari specialty models are worth it (the premium) and some aren't. Time will tell. I wouldn't buy a 348 unless it was one of those limited series models, but I'm not sure I'd pay a premium for the car. I got mine because no one cared about it and I did. Hopefully someone will be more interested in mine than another non-speciale car when it comes time to sell - such as in after my premature demise.

The Fiorano was, IMO, a package equal to the 348 Serie Speciale in badging and equipment additions and should reflect whatever premium is associated with the cache. However, given that most Ferraristi are far more enamoured with the 355 over the 348, I can see the premium for the Fiorano far in excess than the 348 SS or Challenge. (At least for the 355, the Challenge cars are nearly all off road only models, except where owners took the difficult path to get them VINs and street legality.) Not fair, but that is how it is.

These are the only models (including the Euro Competizione) where Ferrari was playing this game of introducing niche models that were not vastly different from the main host production model. For the 360 we got the 360CS and the 430 we got the Scuderia and 16M. These are practically different models given their enhancements.

I say let the market float up to wherever it goes and don't bitsch about it. A rising tide, and so forth. I wouldn't buy one but I would readily talk someone else into it's collector value so my car increases subsequently. ;)

24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    As far as I know, the highest price realized to date for a post production 355 was 185k for a F1 Fiorano at auction. That means at least two people were involved at that level and I bet more at 120, 130, 140, etc. The market spoke on these cars atvit his point.

A gated example ups the ante. Yes it's a Spider, no it isn't an F1, no it isn't a GTS of B. It's a Soidsr, gated , fiorano. If defies the conventional FChat only GTS and B are worthy mindset but the market has already spoken on this.

There are only 100 or so of these worldwide and single digit gated. The only thing left to debate is the color. This car trumps them all

25. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'd be curious to see what a factory fhp equipped gtb would go for...I've never seen one for sale.