BBC Top Gear | FerrariChat

BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by richardson michael, Jun 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    The BBC have confirmed thisevening that Chris Evans will replace JC as presenter on the next series. Chris is,of course,a massive F-car fan,with a considerable collection. Not everyone is all that happy with his desire to change the colour of his cars to white!

2. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
  3. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Exactly!

Top Gear worked so well because of the chemistry between Clarkson, Hammond and May, which was based on a genuine friendship. You can't replicate that sort of camaraderie by paying presenters to fake it, it will just be too obvious.

Added to that, a massive fly in the Top Gear ointment would be if Clarkson, Hammond, May and Wilman do decide to start another car based project together. Chris Evans and two pretend friends Vs Clarkson, Hammond and May would be a no contest!

4. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I think he should have Jeremy on as their first guest in a reasonably priced car!

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It'll be almost as bad as U.S. Top Gear. Not quite, but almost. U.S. Top Gear is so bad it should be on Velocity.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Now that I would watch!

7. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Well I will watch, and then make a comment on whether its a goer or not.
    Don't think you should pre-judge the show just yet. I know JC certainly had his own style
    and remembered when James joined the show after (someone ?) left. Initially he was not so poular but proved to be a great compare.
    We shall see....................................

8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    In the end we might be fortunate and have 2 car shows. New top gear and JC on netflix. Not too bad but sure none will be as good as old Top Gear at its best

9. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    It aint no top gear. Those times are over. Average Gear from here on out. I hope JC,JM and RH are putting up a new show.

10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Some folks like to listen to Evans on the radio, I doubt anyone would want to WATCH him....

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The production values of the BBC Top Gear have been incredible. I really doubt that any for-profit broadcaster will be able to duplicate them economically, but I hope I'm wrong.

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  13. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Clarkson,Hammond and May, their new show,currently on youtube,filmed in Dublin in front of a huge audience,gives us a clue how this is going forward. What a laugh!!. Difficult act for Ginger to follow. Could end up with egg on face.However,after much critical comment,if Chris can come up with something fresh for the BBC, then he MAY make another fortune!

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  16. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    If I could choose I would put mike Brewer and Edd China in charge. They can be comedy gold.

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The boys have all signed with ITV to do a program to go opposite Top Gear.

Two questions:

Will ITV license it to a U.S. channel?

Will BBC America show the final Clarkson, Hammond, May, TG which the Beeb aired tonight (Sunday)?

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The show last night was hilarious, the films typical over the top fun. Hammond and may looked genuinely haunted doing their introductory bits in an empty studio. It was as if JC had died, the first time there's been no crowd on top gear.

Evans is a presenter with a history of anarchic, slapstick but stupid, comedy TV (the big breakfast, TGI Friday etc). I'm not convinced he can present top gear, even though he is a massive petrol head, but I'm assuming the format will change drastically.

I don't think he will keep the hardcore top gear fans, as to be fair, the presenters were as important, if not more so, than the cars. To be fair, you watched it to see them have adventures in cars, and have fun driving them. We didn't really watch to see a review of some boring econoboxes, or confirm the load pulling capabilities of a Hyundai. I fear this is where Evans may try to take the show, and his style won't fit it, and petrol heads don't care about it. The BBC is too PC these days, it may end up concentrating on preaching about electric cars and saving fuel, and the show will be over in a couple weeks

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    So we'll get two motoring shows for the price of one. Count me in!

20. Barnyb

Barnyb Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    Auckland
    The old Top Gear was due for a freshen up. Whilst no one wanted JC to melt as he did, it does provide the opportunity to provide that freshen up. We all have the opportunity to see reruns and now looking back at them, they all seem old fashioned and the jokes just are not funny the second or third time around.

I am sad that James May could not continue as he has captured the essence of the understated British humour. But..

I am looking forward to Chris Evans, just for the knowledge that he is a real passionate car buff with a particular taste for F cars. He has a good keen sense of humour and a willingness to share his passion for cars.

21. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Did you notice the framing of the very first shot? It was Hammond and May to the right of screen, and in the background on the left of shot was... an elephant in the room. Nicely done I thought.

22. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Personally I am happy of the change of the presenters. Too much BS, same banter and crazy/stupid antics.
    In fact I still prefer the crew before them, Tiff Needell, Tony Mason, Vicky Butler Henderson and Quentin Wilson were my favourites.
    I want to see a program for Petrol Heads, not BS talking Houligans!

23. Dave M

Dave M Rookie

Jul 18, 2013
    Anyone know where I could watch the new episode online?

24. Barnyb

Barnyb Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    Auckland
    #25 Barnyb, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    hxxp://www.topgearbox.com/2015/episode-guides/series-22/top-gear-series-22-episode-8/

29.20 there is a special treat