Running a loaded FF in the Sonoran Desert | FerrariChat

Running a loaded FF in the Sonoran Desert

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Noblesse Oblige, Aug 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #1 Noblesse Oblige, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Later this week we leave on one of our periodic runs between SoCal and the high Colorado Plateau. A great ride of 850 miles featuring altitudes varying from -100 ft to +8000 feet; Interstates, two lane desert roads, and two-lane mountain twisties. We put rear seats down and load the FF (photo below) with enough gear ( about 300 lb worth) to keep us in business for a couple of months. Temps will range from a low in the 60s at night to a high of about 115 degrees on the desert floor in mid afternoon.

Here's my chat site subject: Tire pressure. What is the best strategy to handle it and does it even matter. My Michelin PSS call for nominal 34 front-35 rear. But the conditions I encounter will drive the displayed wheel temps to over 140 degrees just tooling along at 85. Displayed pressure will easily reach 42 psi after starting out with nominal values.

Another factor is altitude. Ascending 8000 feet will increase tire pressure a full 4 psi at constant temperature. (Think about it: less air outside, same air in the tire --> more pressure). The TPS won't pick it up unless I recalibrate it, but I know it's there. So in the worst case, at high speed I could be running 46 psi, having started out at 34/35 at rest at sea level, all with a basically fully loaded car. Now in actual fact it won't get this high because ascending also brings some cooling. Still with the PSS max rated psi of 51, I am not that far below the rated limit.

What I have done in the past is to run the FF at nominal pressures until I ascend to about 3000 feet or so, then stop to let out 4 psi to get to nominal pressures at the altitude of our final destination. Are there any other ideas that would maintain handling and push down risk?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Can't help you much on your question but I love the FF in white :)

3. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
  4. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    Nitrogen +1.

The PSS handle up to 185 degrees without a problem.

I would not go over 40psi if you need the grip. Just bleed some air when it reaches 40psi.

If you just cruise around I would not think about tires at all, at least if they stay below like 45psi and 185 degrees.

5. FFMAC

FFMAC Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mac
    Absolutely no idea, whatsoever, but sounds like a fantastic drive! :)

6. dinges

dinges Karting

Jan 1, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Aram
    Nitrogen +1

And put up some pictures of your trip. ;)

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Sounds like an awesome trip - have fun!

pure N2 will tend to mitigate pressure climb when hot, and minimize the effect of moisture on heat-generated pressure, but if you experience big swings in ambient temp or altitude you will need/want to make adjustments, plus always good hygiene to look at your tires

For your road trip, just pack a GOOD gauge and check/adjust your pressures when fueling up, or first thing in morning (i.e. "cold pressures"). While not pure nitrogen, gas station air is already 80% nitrogen. You can always bleed down, but do in small increments so you don't go below the spec cold pressures ("cold" is relative)

Your load isn't excessive so you shouldn't worry about weight rating issues

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Sedona, Dallas
    I used to drive between flagstaff and phoenix quite a bit. Temperature swings of 50 degrees F and altitude change of 5000 feet. I never had an issue. As noted, these things affect the pressures, but at quasi legal speeds it shouldn't matter. I agree with above - get a good gauge and check them and set the pressures cold in the morning. I would use normal gas station air, or for convenience a small portable pump. Other than that drive and enjoy.

9. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Thanks guys. I like the 40 psi limit. I am a great believer in "margins of error."

10. Terrible expert

Terrible expert Karting

Sep 10, 2012
    Harrogate, North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Kev W
    No idea about pressures....but FML that car is beautiful in white!

I've never been a huge fan of the FF and in some colours its quite frankly ugly in my opinion, however white looks FANTASTIC!!!

The mrs wants me to get one over my F12 order which will go in soon, this makes me think twice!

Beautiful congratulations!

11. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    lol

Happy wife happy life ... this one is pretty:
    2012 Used Ferrari FF 2dr Hatchback at CNC Motors Inc. Serving Ontario, CA, IID 13838803

And my new to me '14 car is white (bottom of the page):
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ff-f12/312672-official-ferrari-ff-picture-thread-42.html