hose replacement questions - Thoughts? | FerrariChat

hose replacement questions - Thoughts?

Discussion in '308/328' started by qedqeq, Aug 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    Hi all,

I am setting up my list of items to update on my 328GTB during the winter.

One of the items that I am going to entertain is replacing all the hoses in the engine bay and brake lines too.

One of the considerations will be going all factory stuff, but I am also thinking that I might go with more modern setup, maybe even color coded or steel braided,

Kinda on the fence about dressing up the bay with non permanent addons.

Your thoughts

My car is a nero/nero 87 GTB, don't know what color, if I go with color at all.

Regards

2. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    For really, really good fuel and coolant hoses, correct in size, length and clamp (but admittedly looking more modern than oem) then go here:

Scuderia Rampante

Stocked by at least one of the site sponsors I think. With the value of the cars and the cost of leaking fuel or loss of coolant they make sense.

Their petcock coolant drain is worth adding too - coolant draining becomes civilized...

Guy

3. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    In driver territory I just went with what was new and worked, which meant the cost was minimal. So that meant NAPA or Superformance. Works great :):).

4. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    Great Idea.

Definitely want to spice up the engine bay, but I want totally tasteful, that will accent the red intake plenum and easily reversible when the time comes.

Also something modern that won't look tired like these current hoses look after a couple of years.

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    For what our cars are fetching, I can think of no better approach than installing the best parts you can find: lubricants, tires, hoses, bearings, brake maintenance, ect. ect.

As my engineer once ruminated:

"If you want first quality oats, you have to pay the price.
    If, on the other hand, you are willing to settle for oats that have passed through the horse...The price MAY be less".

My sense is that our cars are approaching "collectible" status and thus not really valued for what we have aspired to make them, but rather, "How close to dead stock they are".

This chaffes a bit, but it is the way things are.

Keep all of your old take off's and parts, some fool may want to reinstall them.

chris

6. qedqeq

qedqeq Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2015
    That is the intent of this winter project, everything bolt-on and reversible, just in case someday, someone wants to return it to original.

Regards,

7. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    When replacing fuel lines, I ordered some from Jegs that were ethanol resistant. That's what I would recommend.

8. electrogunner

electrogunner Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2013
    Amish country PA
    Full Name:
    Joe

Yes, I'm one of the crazies that keeps a trash bag full of all of the original take off hoses. ;)

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

9. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would like to replace all my hoses as well, but am a bit concerned about changing the stock appearance. What about using the oem parts from ricambi? They might be junk against etoh, but they have lasted 32 years so far in my case. New oems have to last for a little while at least, maybe 5-10 years? Correct me if I am off in my estimation, thanks!

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Anything that has lasted 32 years cannot be considered ... junk.

11. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Be careful with steel braided hoses. They can rub a hole in anything they touch! Especially gas tanks.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Tasteful means black rubber and no aeroquip.

That is unless lowrider bling is tasteful in your particular situation.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Those factory hoses 32 years ago didn't have to put up with the gas we have now for the first, what , 15 years or so? I doubt that same hose material could make it half that long today.

It was good stuff...in 1983's world

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Eaton aerospace/Aeroquip make some of the best hoses anywhere...including plain black rubber and black nomex cloth covered that are a near dead match for OEM. Or did you mean stainless braid with red and blue fittings as being low rider bling?

15. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The reason for specifying stainless braided hoses in some situations is that they are resistant to abrasion or physical damage. That means they are only appropriate where there is a risk of this happening, and this would not be the case (hopefully) when being used as replacements for rubber fuel hoses. They make sense as brake hoses as these are exposed to possible damage.

They also have the drawback of the braiding hiding any underlying deterioration or cracking of the rubber.

16. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff

So, are these more resistant to etoh? Or just good replacements that look like oem? Thanks!