Monterey 2015 - Dino 07794 | FerrariChat

Monterey 2015 - Dino 07794

Discussion in '206/246' started by tx246, Aug 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    With this being the first Dino auctioned, and from a major collection, it sold for $375k US or $412,500 not including tax.

I still have trouble grasping at how a car like this is auctioned, without spending a couple of thousand of dollars fixing dumb, piddley stuff.

It still brought nice money, but I am only looking at pictures on the RM website.

Did anyone see this car in person?

Why in the world would they have the black lower body portion painted like they did, especially around the front? That looks, not only weird, but also distorts the beautiful lines of the Dino.

The air box has a complete incorrect finish and has rusted Knurled nuts. WTF? The Chassis stampings definitely doesn't look as it could.

The interior definitely has looks of quirks. The picture looks like it has been photoshopped, so it is hard to know what it really looks like. Why leave those extra mat's on the floor. I just don't get it.

I am not saying this is a bad Dino, I am just rather confused why something, for a car, like this would be allowed to exist, especially in a collection like this.

Having said that, given the collection, I find it not surprising a Dino is included.

Given what Dino's have been lumped into in the past, I would say it has found a nice group of stable mates. I guess what is even more interesting is what isn't in the stable.

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    I would say the price achieved is about fair... the car isn't perfect, lots of small detailing problems as you picked up from the pictures, the interior being the worst as the trimmer copied the Daytona style from a Daytona ��, see headrest and door panel. Other parts have been untouched and are very authentic like the frame where the chassis no. is stamped....
    The two GTS at Gooding look much better to me and deserve a premium to this car....

3. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    I think this was a remarkable price that was the result of the "buzz" of the sale. Maybe a perfect car does a little bit better on a stand alone basis, but away from this sale, this car doesn't go over $300k IMHO. Kudos to RM for getting that price for this car. It seems like Dinos have hot a ceiling at around $500k for the absolute best of the best. We will see in the Gooding sale. I also think they slicked it up a bit too much in the detailing.

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    I respectfully disagree...

5. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    We will see in the upcoming sale...

I sold my car "around" 500k, the buyer sold it on for less cash (with a wacky additional asset as part of the deal) when he changed his mind, and could not sell it meaningfully above what he paid for it. (I think the second buyer made a great deal, and he sounds like a long-term owner, though some aspects make me have my doubts.) I have been offered two excellent cars "around" 500k and they have not sold as far as I know. The tone of the buyer who bought my car suggests a lot of today's buyers are hopping on a rising stock, but aren't really Dino lovers. I think a lot of the cars being sold in the last year will be back on the market soon.

I am rooting for them to go up. It's unlikely I will ever buy one again. I'll never get one as nice as what I had, and I believe it is the most beautiful car ever built - period. But with premiums, taxes, etc etc, "around" 500 pushes up to well over $600k in real cost, and a $750k Dino seems like a hard push. At $750k, There are some classically gorgeous full convertibles within reach that would supplant a Dino for me as a car to own and actually drive, and are far more rare.

Who knows? The bubble didn't push the RM car even to $400k, which I fully expected it to crest.