Newbie needs your advice! Exoto vs CMC | FerrariChat

Newbie needs your advice! Exoto vs CMC

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by minikub, Aug 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. minikub

minikub Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this hobby. I have limited budget and space so I prefer to spend for the best quality diecast as I may want to start with 1 or 2 piece first.

I'm currently struggling between two models:

1) Official Ferrari 500F2 by CMC (1:18)
    - pros: official licensed, with Ferrari badge and metal plate, leather base display case
    - cons: relatively less detailed as compared to Exoto. some visible screws not in the right scale

2) Exoto Tipo 246 (1:18)
    - pros: extremely detailed, personally like the design more than 500F2 (which seems too simple, I don't like 156 shark nose)
    - cons: no display case, not officially licensed. (but I already planned to buy a leather base case and an official Ferrari logo to create my own display)

If price is not the main concern, which one you would recommend me to go for? I'm going to display it in my office at work.

thanks so much and have a great weekend!

Matt

2. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Definitly de 246, first and IMO it´s a much more beautiful car, the 500 as you said, it's just to "simple", than the 246 belongs to the xs series from exoto, wich is basicly the best die-cast you can buy, period. The level of detail from the 246 far surpasses teh 500..of course the car costs about 3 times more than the cmc 500 version but, since you pointed out that money was no object...

3. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Simple answer.: The Exoto Ferrari Formula/Grand Prix models are far better than the same ones modeled by CMC.

The big problem with Exoto is that they have a well deserved - horrible reputation for doing any business with.

The problem with CMC is that they are truly clueless about the real cars and make numerous mistakes and odd choices with what and how they produce all of their models.

4. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I would generally agree with both above statements but not 100%.
    I know it was not on your list, but if I had to pick a model with the budget of $1000, which is what the Exoto 246 would end up costing you, I would buy CMC's Bartoletti truck. It is an amazing piece of miniature art. It is fully licensed and backed up by CMC, which I would definitely take into a consideration. On top of that you can display at least two more cars on it, while not taking any extra space.
    As far as the two models you mentioned, I don't think it is a fair comparison. Compare the 500F2 from CMC with the one from Exoto. Or their Sharknoses. That would be apples to apples. I have the 246. I did not buy it, let alone from Tony/Exoto. It is an amazing model, but extremely fragile and finicky. Things fall off of it, brake etc. '
    I own both Sharknoses. The Exoto one is better without a doubt. But it is not three times better than the CMC. Yet you can buy three CMC Sharks for the price of one Exoto. I prefer personally the CMC Shark. Funny that, you may say, because the Exoto is more detailed. It is, but the CMC has that aura of more authentic vintage feel, while the Exoto feels like an overrestored classic that is too perfect.
    The 500F2, which I also own both CMC and Exoto, have the exact opposite problem. the CMC 500 is far more detailed and better made than the Exoto 500. But it feels too perfect. The Esotos are not as good, but they feel more "right" somehow.
    Having said all this, I would not buy a bubble gum from Exoto or anyone representing them. They may be making the best models in the universe, but anyone caring just a touch about the hobby or having the slightest shred of consciousness would not support anyone with their business practices and reputation. They have been sued numerous times (and lost) by few companies and by countless individuals. They have outright stolen money from their customers, lied, cheated and arrogantly laughed in everyone's faces, time and time again.
    Of course you can always say "what the heck do I care? I just want a nice model." But I believe that Exoto should not be supported in any way, regardless of how great their models are.

5. minikub

minikub Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    thank you so much for all your advice!
    indeed I really want to get the best quality than collecting many different models. will post and share picture after I got it!
    have a great weekend!

6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great replies.

7. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap, the best way to buy an exoto is trough a private seller or any other place, avoid at all costs doing rirect buisness with Exoto...Tony K as a long history of cheating people....

8. ItalianHorses

ItalianHorses Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    This, 100%

9. minikub

minikub Rookie

Aug 21, 2015
    I read this late and placed an order directly as I couldn't find the model I want and wanted to make sure it's 100% new.......

and then now I realized many people received defected items and they refused to exchange or refund or even response.....really worried now

it's my first time buying this type of collectible and hope won't become another victim of scam......:(

10. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hopefully, you won't have a problem.

If you do you may be able to get some recourse through your credit card company, PayPal, or whatever you used for the purchase.

Best regards,
    Jerry

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Let's hope everything arrives fine, they have many complaints but i know people who never had an issue, let us know and please, share some pictures....

12. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I also know people who have had no problems.

13. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You guys don't get it. Supporting Exoto in any way (buying their product) makes you part of the problem.

14. alebart3

alebart3 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2008

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Perfectly said!
    They once annoyed me so much, that I didn't just decide to buy no more models from them, but also sell all of those four cars I had in my cabinet. Of course it was an amazing deal.
    BTW; When I purchased the first Exoto car, a Ferrari 312B, it was €45.00. Around $ 60.00 back then.
    Crazy.

Best Regards
    Martin