the Ferrari market watch thread | Page 751 | FerrariChat

the Ferrari market watch thread

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ashsimmonds, Oct 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    electric windows and belts are cheap fixes, I think you're right, deferred maintenance on this one

2. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    or the bubble has burst :)

3. BRDC

BRDC Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2012
    #bubblegate

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #18755 au-yt, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Point in Case
    1975 FERRARI DINO 308 GT4 1975 original condition for sale | Classic Cars For Sale, UK
    Import calculator, I havnt varifed this as some of the percentages have changed but
    LCT and Customs Duty Calculator for $150k Luxury Vehicle Import to Australia

Guys this is a wake up call, low Assie dollar, clean no salt roads RHD. yes the Poms pay a small import and VAT....

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    are you suggesting that if you want to sell your car, the UK is the place to sell?...or am I missing the point?

HK might be another one, if the circumstances are right

7. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    What I was inferring was 110 is cheap internationally, and thats why we are loosing cars a huge rate.
    This is the reason that the Lorbecks the CTS and others are asking the money they do its an international.
    HK not really same as Singapore cars come out of there because of their taxing of older cars. Malaysia is where lots of Manual Porsche's have gone.

When the Aussie dollar was strong car flooded in and from the US, TRs, for example now look whats happened.

We either recognise what we have or loose them.

There is some discussion of recent that a submission be put to parliament to limit the age of the LCT , but hey the Feds need money their not interested in giving a break to "rich Ferrari" buyers/collectors.

Bringing cars in the LCT, is like a one way Check valve.....

8. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yes

And with the exchange rate now at .45 GBP to the AUD the number of cars leaving the country is likely to increase.

As you pointed out, the LCT is significant cost barrier to bringing cars back to Australia, because not only have the prices exploded in the UK, but our currency has dropped as well.

Here's a real world example :3 years a 308 GTB QV cost 23K pounds in the UK, around 72K AUD landed, that car is now 80k pounds in the UK, or 260K AUD landed so its unlikely we will see any more of them being imported at those prices.

M

9. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    And an ex HK car returned there is virtually half price since there is a 100% tax payable on first registration; not payable if you can prove it's been paid previously on the same vehicle.

10. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    An expat Lotus Elan sprint I sold went back to the UK original rego and all, probably the furthest traveled Elan on the planet!

11. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

yes...and he doubled his money.!!!

12. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I didnt do badly either... still have all the spares..

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Err, yucky! Who wants an S4?

14. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    Actually a Nicer car than the S2 I owned years ago but a Sprint with full history...QED engine close ratio box original classic yellow over White, pretty car, .. lots of collectors apparently, but had two Loti not going back.

15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'd love an S2! Mine's an S3, but full tarmac rally spec, and a bit too heavy (and a bit too young). An S1/2 would be a great starting point for a super dooper lightweight - just need to find one (a series of boxes full of bits will do)

16. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #18766 au-yt, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think we should start a Lotus thread ... Mate did just what you are suggesting.
    Found #3 S1 imported as race car literally in a field and a bucket of bits. Restored and 26Rd the chassis imported a seriously light body, and various parts. Long stroke 1750 Close ratio, Dry sump, CVs left out anything not needed -580Kgs super quick thing. ( yes thats a real Eleven)

Now about the Kids Mortgage and wife....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    My Mother just had a HUGE health scare, was literally on her death bed two weeks ago.

She is 57 years old, too young to die. She has had an amazing turn around and is on the right track now, hopefully get a few more years out of her yet.

So I will tell you what I tell everyone else...................you only live once mate.

Buy whatever it is you want and enjoy it because you don't know how much time you have on this earth.

18. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Value your time with ya mum mate, mine died 2 years ago last Monday and I still dial her on the phone while in the car :(

If she ever picks up I'll join her dying off fright :eek:

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I will JM! I rarely call or talk to my Mum or Dad, not because I hate them...................just don't have the time. See or talk to Mum and Dad once every few weeks.

You take life for granted, I always thought she would be there ya know.

But nope, almost lost her. I have spent a lot of time at the hospital with her the last two weeks.

She is going home in two weeks time which is great. 4+ weeks up there will do anyones head in.

I told Nicole I am going to go out of my way to spend more time with her from now on.

It will only be a matter of time before something like this happens again, she will definitely not see 70 years old. But if she goes through into the 60's we will all be very happy.

Seeing my Mum laying there with that terrified look in her eyes made me realize that life really is short and in her case, it will be 20 years shorter than it should be.

When she first went down hill and I took her to hospital, I kept asking Mum if there was anything I could get her or bring to her, but she kept saying "no, nothing will make any difference to me now".

Meaning she doesn't care for anything material as she thought she was going to die.

So enjoy what you have folks and go and buy that Ferrari you have always wanted because when you're ready to check out, it doesn't matter that you blew your life's savings on a Ferrari! :p

20. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #18770 au-yt, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    Totally agree seeing I am older than your mum!

I am retiring early 58 and moving to the country, Well if you call the Southern Highlands country, as for Cars 456M plus long term project.

A bloke cannot have enough toys, sadly wife doesn't agree

21. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Hope you enjoy your retirement mate! :)

And tell the Wife to wake up to herself. :D

22. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    I'm not complaining buying the 456 went like this,
    "I want to trade two cars on one.. (so far so good) OK as long as its cost neutral ..... and I never liked you having two..."
    I still have two well I started with three...

Recently when my wife nearly lost it mentally (literally) with the insane corporate word work load she resigned and then we decided to retire her, ( from work lets not get to carried away)
    House prices in Sydney meant we were ahead by a lot more than we planned, SMSF working a treat thanks to great advice.
    I really wanted some time of but Holiday leave was a little lacking ... wait for it , careful what you wish for!!
    So all on track for escape and on a skiing trip in July she tears her R knee ACL completely (last day).
    So Im on careers leave until she can drive ....:) about mid Sep...and to top this off my daughter is getting married 27 November!!

23. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

Good on you mate! I made the decision to scale back on work about 5 years ago. It took a lot of effort and work (ironically) but I scaled business up, sorted out management structure and forced myself to get used to letting them do their jobs with me just overseeing things.

24. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Pap, wishing your mum all the best! But also make sure you take your own advice and enjoy life NOW!

25. AKA

AKA F1 Rookie

May 17, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John McCabe
    In case anyone wants to go have a look, there's an Enzo in the window at Duttons.