What would you buy for 350t€? | FerrariChat

What would you buy for 350t€?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 916turbo, Aug 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 916turbo

916turbo Rookie

Mar 7, 2015
    Hello guys,

After sucessful buying of a F430 manual I am looking now for another exciting italian sportscar.

I want to spend 350-400 and I want to have a low mileage car for my collection, but I want also enjoy it on sunny weekends:

- Ferrari 16M
    - Ferrari 512 BBI
    - Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary
    - Lamborghini Murcielago Super Veloce

I look for a emotional car but also for an investment instead of having just a number on my bank account.

I am looking forward for your thoughts.

Cheers

Alex

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    2004 Challenge Stradale

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    "Investment"? IMHO maybe the 512 BBI. None of those above IMHO make a good "investment"...

4. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Countach. Very collectible and ever so iconic. I talked to a friend about buying one years ago when they could be had for $100k. Missed that boat.

5. 916turbo

916turbo Rookie

Mar 7, 2015
    Thanks guys for your thougts, I really like the Countach too.

The Challenge Stradale is also very desirable, but in comparison to the other 4 I think it´s already very expensive with double MSRP. I am afraid that the prices will consolidate in the next months.

What else would you recommend Curt?

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm afraid that prices for ALL collectable cars will drop in the next few months, hence my comment on whether ANY are a good investment... even the 512bb. I would personally worry that if I bought now the market wouldn't sustain itself and I would be buying at the height of the market. Personally I think the 16M is just another 430 (blasphemy I know).. and you're either a Lambo guy or not. I think they're cool but I drive my cars and while I've driven a Gallardo (didn't drive as nimble as my 360), I wouldn't pay a lot of money for a Lambo. Just not my thing. 512 is a classic hand built car that actually was on my list of cars to buy when they were in the $90k's USD circa 2010. I knew they'd go up. Not so sure at $300k. I'd hold off till prices drop from the bubble they're in now IMHO. This is just my opinion... I'd also pick up an M1 or a Carrera GT if I could. A lot of BMW and Porsche fanatics out there that love the brand that have come into money that want the rare examples.

I like the philosophy of buying the cheapest house in the best neighborhood for the best appreciation. They're always someone who wants to move into the best neighborhood who can't afford the most expensive home there.

7. 916turbo

916turbo Rookie

Mar 7, 2015
    Î am not sure if all prices will drop down.

There is too much money out there and too many enthusiasts who dont like the new automatic turbo charged cars and who get nothing for their money on their bank account.

So collecting cars is a new trend like a kind of art.

But they buy intelligent and careful, not everything.

Also most of the people really have money and dont take a credit.

Personally I think that everybody says the prices are too high - on the stock market you would say its a contra indicator.

I was also looking for a M1 and CGT 1 year ago, but especially the CGT ist too expensive in my opinion.

Is the 16M not still a good buy around MSRP with a mileage up to 5k?

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Why do you think prices will drop in the next few months Curt? Seasonality, market correction, or both?

Regardless, I can't help but feel that the more collectible cars will steadily climb, even with small dips along the way, barring another financial crisis.

9. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    Why not spend a bit more and get a 458 Speciale - Future Value increase almost assured

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I personally think a lot of the sellers aren't enthusiasts selling to enthusiasts but dealerships only moving on money and anticipated appreciation, or on consignment from a seller that bought the 512bb for $85k in 2006, hoping for a triple digit score. I think the enthusiast factor has left the market for the last year. When the market tanks the enthusiast will return. IMHO enthusiasts are priced out at $150-200k. Above this people collect or buy for the effect and not the drive. Just my opinion though.

Seasonal yes IMHO. As I see it (and yes I am as full of **** as anyone else here) prices will start dropping in the next quarter and not pickup in the spring. Again. I am full of it and am probably wrong. I don't see the market booming and IMHO when the 401k goes down, so does spending on expensive cars. By this I mean professionals and small business owners, NOT 8 and 10 digit net worth individuals. Again, just my warped imagination and beliefs. Take this post and all of mine in this area with a HUGE grain of salt.

11. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Don't worry, I won't sell based only on your prognostication. :)

The market is pretty hot. We'll see what happens in the coming months. I don't have much experience with appreciating cars, but my assumption was that, once they bottom and begin appreciating, they generally continue to do so. Maybe that's not the case. Again, I'm assuming a scenario without an economic crisis like we had a few years back.

12. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    I think the same!! There were some strong prices at Monterey but there were a lot of "no sales" too. That is the most I have seen in a long time. When people get nervous prices go down.

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    keep in mind when an auction bids a car up to a value then it shows as a no sale there probably was no buyer in the house... an auction house has as much as 18% or maybe 20% to play with . meaning if the reserve was 600K the auction house makes around 120K so dont think they will let a buyer walk if the bidding is anywhere near the reserve... ..
    I even know of a deal that was bid to 3.5million and sold but the seller walked away with over 3.8 million to meet his reserve the auction house took a big cut in commission....
    thats one reason auctions are tough to determine real prices....and no sales mean nothing

In regards to the original question using your list I would suggest the 16M may or may not go up in value but they have not shot up in value and are limited editions and sound great...

14. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Markets come and go. Just a few years ago gold was trading at 1900.00 and ounce and the Bulls were saying it would hit 2500.00 before it hit 1000.00. Well now the chance of gold hitting 1000.00 is very likely and the chance of it hitting 2500.00 is highly unlikely. Things can change fairly quickly.

15. mred

mred Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Ed B.
    Murcielago SV. Rarer than the rest and a brilliant car to drive.

16. 916turbo

916turbo Rookie

Mar 7, 2015
    Thanks for your opinions.

I will visit the Countach next week and depending from the condition I will see what I am doing.

The Murcielago is already sold.

Do you have also other recommendations which are maybe not on my list?

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If your thinking about Lambos....Diablo.

18. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Of the four cars, the 16M. I think it is the most user friendly and easier to live with.

19. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    You could also probably get a 246 Dino GT for that price range.

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    20 Fiat Abarths?

I agree with Curt, buy what you love, you'll be disappointed with the "investment" vehicle.

21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Street Legal 355 Challenge
    Challenge Stradale
    Scuderia
    512BB

All of these cars I would have fun owning and would imagine they will appreciate significantly eventually...even if they don't, at least you're having fun.