Hey! | FerrariChat

Hey!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by roger21, Sep 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    #1 roger21, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everybody.

Just a little introduction from France.
    New on this forum and new as a Ferrari owner.
    I won't narrate you all the story, but I finally became the proud owner of #38023, a silver grey/tan auto 400i that arrived home last June.
    "Dream come true" as you (English speaking) would say... Ferrari+v12 is a grail since I am a child and I still don't believe I've got one of them.
    (I am a bit enthusiast but I have just been drinking a few beers.... Sorry)
    So happy about about her (may I say "her"??) every time the engine wakes up and stupidly proud when I see the prancing horse in front of my eyes.
    She is not new, but in a pretty good shape to my eyes.
    Thanks by advance for all your knowledge and answers to my numerous questions!
    Happy to be one of you.
    Regards
    Stéphane

PS: sorry about my English which is must more rusted and French than my car!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    #2 roger21, Sep 17, 2015
  3. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    #3 roger21, Sep 17, 2015
  4. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Sorry, I did not manage to post more than one picture at the same time...

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Welcome, welcome, Monsieur Roger!!! You have a beautiful Series I example from what year, 1980-1982? The fact that you own one, already love her and, you drink almost as much as the rest of us, then you should fit in just fine.

By the way, have you already joined the European F400 club - European Ferrari 400 Club It actually is well organized also and is in French as well as Italian. I get emails periodically from them about certain tours and events that they attend together, and I am so very jealous of not being able to drive mine over the beautiful roads and scenery of the European countryside.

May you enjoy your V-12 classic Ferrari for many years to come and are able to drive many happy miles in her, Roger! Please describe all about the car, since there are not many of them and we all want to know how others came into ownership, okay?

PS - your english is fantastic - much better than 99% of anyone here in the USA's French, d'accord?

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    beautiful color combo. car looks really nice. did you obtain any history, owner/service records. please fill in your profile, if you are inclined to do so.

7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Otto, it's also better than 99% of people on the forums English !! 😆

8. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Great car! Congratulations!

9. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Especially from the Pom's!!!!! :D

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Welcome to the forum! Car looks great in that colour combo.

Congrats and enjoy my friend.

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Two different cultures separated by a common language! :D

Welcome, Stephane! You will find a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm for these great cars on this forum!

12. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    Hi Roger,

Nice car ! Congrrats !

You should contact Paul fom the F400 club, he knows about everything about the 400, especially the french ones but not only and he is very nice to talk to. If you contact the f400 club, I think he is the one who answers.

What part of France are you living ?

13. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    #13 roger21, Sep 19, 2015
    Thanks very much for your welcome!

Yes Otto, I'm a member of the European F400 club. I have contacted them first to get their opinions and advices when I started my "quest" and they have been really nice to me.
    I have already had the luck to meet some of the members and it has been a real pleasure to feel like a part of the family. Sadly, the dedicated forum is far from active, many views but few replies...

For the records, as stated on the owner' book, #38023 was first delivered in Zurich Switzerland on the 05/19/1982.
    I don't have many informations about this Swiss period except the owner's book, regularly stamped by the official Ferrari dealer of Zurich.
    She moved to Germany in December 2000, bought by who I suppose is the second owner.
    A third owner in 2002, still in Germany, till I purchase (through a professional) and bring her to France last May, she was 83749 kilometers at that time.

Far from perfect as I told you but good enough to my eyes and compared to the two other cars I have visited before buying.
    Correctly maintained by its last owner according to the invoices (everything is in German language and it's a pain trying to translate them!!!), she had only been running a few kilometers during the last 3 years.
    Everything works except AC.
    Been repainted a long time ago (great job, don't know when/why), hope in its original color, but I can't manage reading what is written on the sticker...

How did I came into ownership??
    Well, it's a pretty long story and I wouldn't like you to fall asleep while reading! So I'll sum it up (a bit)...
    Started looking for my first "classic" last year without knowing which one to choose. I would be happy with so many of them, from English to American Ones...
    Ferraris have always been my dream (models till the late 80's, I then started to less love their design), probably because of Magnum P.I. and his superb/fantastic/so red/so cool 308.
    But I must say I am not really rich and according to my income, was considering them as not affordable...
    My first visit was for a Jaguar XJ serie 2 (Most Beautifull sedan in the world! No debate😄 ). But after one year looking for a correct one, I had only seen bins (it looks like most of them are totally rusted and badly maintained, low market doesn't help).
    Was fed up.
    And then quickly: "you are just a pain in the ass, just do it correctly and put all your money in your dream"
    Back to 308 ads: "what are these prices?!? What happened in one year??" 80K, too late and risky for my Purse (felt so stupid having been watching them so long without doing it)....
    "And the real one, the front V12! Please tell me the 400's have not taken off yet!" Yes.
    One ad in France, visit: rust/no invoices, forget it.
    Two other 400's for sale in Paris for at least a year had just been sold... Looks like it's now or never, I was launched...
    The other ones were in Italy or Germany.
    Only fantasist answers from Italian people: "it's perfect, it's not been running and serviced during 10 years but it will probably start if you come and buy it 50K! You don't need pictures".

First answer from Germany about #38023 came with owner's book copy, detailed pictures and precise answers to all my questions. Flew to Hamburg, love at first sight.
    I won't describe all the processus. Took me 4 months from the first visit to find an agreement and obtain the necessary certificates from Ferrari and French government offices before I was able to register and drive it in France last June.

Why the 400? Front V12, incredible shape (we probably all agree about the rear 3/4 profile), beautiful inside... And now that I have got it in real, I am really happy she looks like an adult car, so classy without needing to show off like these little V8 red things which kids love!! 😂
    Not many people love it, but the real car lovers understand!
    (Of course, I must confess, if I wouldn't have to deal with so materialistic motives as money, I would probably have first bought a 275gtb and a Daytona and my 308, an F40... But I would have found a place in my garage for a 400!)

Well, looks like you now know most of the story.
    Wow, I've written a novel! Anybody is still alive???

Thanks to those who read.
    Otto, Bundas, if you need more details about the car, just let me know!

"See" you soon
    Stéphane
    Just a little picture of European club 400's cars in Dijon Prenois track (ex Formula one) for my first meeting. (I am not the gentleman in red, but my car is on the right!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hi Gordon, nice to meet you!

I answered before reading you...
    As you may have guessed, I already know Paul who has been a great support during my search.
    I live in Dijon (where stands at least one other 400 owned by an other club member)

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Nosey bunch😉

16. erwin123

erwin123 Karting

Jan 20, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Erwin
    Great post, great story and great car. Well done Stephane!

17. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Stunning colour combination! Just beatiful.

18. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    nice story, still alive : )

19. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    I understood that ! And I just sent Paul an email before reading your answer ! :)

20. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Am I the only one who is curious as to why the car has Mk1 interiour and a Mk2 grill?

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Bonjour Stéphane,

I love the color! Well done and congratulations to you!

Welcome to the 365/400/412 Brotherhood!

Cheers,

Sam

22. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Thank you again gentlemen!

Happy to share with you.

Hello Elasto. I'm not really aware of the differences between s1 and s2.
    I had already noticed the grill.
    I don't have any explanation yet. It's an 82 car, the year things have changed, maybe gradually???
    Or maybe she has been in an accident and was fixed with later parts... (That would explain the repaint) Will probably never know...
    I have been searching a bit, but did not find precise datas on what/when things changed, someone knows???

23. John Wetzig

John Wetzig Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Allentown PA USA
    Full Name:
    John Wetzig
    I have 42185, and it has both a Series 1 grill and interior. I think I saw something that indicated the Series 2 cars started around 43500. Some one with knowledge of that is out there, I know.

24. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The first RHD series 2 that I have recorded is 43133, and the last RHD series 1 on my list is next to yours John being 42183. I don't know about LHD. All series 1 originally had the auxiliary lights behind the grille I believe, even those close to the change over period.

David

25. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The biggest difference between the series 1 and series 2 cars was the change to the hydraulically controlled self leveling rear suspension. According to the factory workshop manual, the first car with the hydraulic self leveling suspension was 42705. This serial number probably was built in late 1982.

I don't know if that coincided with the other changes, such as the elimination of the wood in the interior and the change from lever switches to solenoid activated switches for the hood and trunk releases, but you can use the presence or lack thereof of the hydraulic suspension as a major clue as to whether it is a series 1 or not.