308GT4 YouTube Autobahn Runs ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

308GT4 YouTube Autobahn Runs ?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 2dinos, Sep 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think It's impossible that a GT4 can reach 260 km/h. Italian Quattroruote magazine tested the 328 GTS and GTS turbo (the two most powerful 3X8 ever) in 1986: they reached 256 km/h (328, 270 hp) and 251 km/h (turbo, 254 hp), real measured data, not on the Tachometer. As 308 GT4 had 229 hp (real DIN data, like the other two, not the 255 hp SAE you always read), It couldn't go faster than later cars with 25-41 hp more.

ciao

2. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    Hi Alberto,

Good points in relation to stock-standard cars. Certainly, it takes a lot of revs to get into these high speeds in top in a 308gt4, given its top gear ratio. That is, once you are up to 240kph or higher, you are over 7,000rpm in top and it takes hp and aerodynamics to push through the wall of air to go that fast, for sure.

But mine is not stock standard. My car has a 328 engine and this has been modified to produce more hp than a standard 328 motor. It has electronic ignition and sequential electronic fuel injection controlled by a MoTec engine management system and the rev limitation at 7,700rpm is set in the MoTec itself, so it should be quite accurate. Extra hp, plus the fact that the 308gt4 car itself is lighter than a 328 GTS, means mine has quite a good power to weight ratio and so I believe it capable of slightly higher top speeds than a stock 308gt4.
    Whatever, it doesn't matter in the end because I don't normally have opportunities to drive that fast, certainly never on our public roads here and not even on race tracks, even those with quite long straights. Suffice to say, it just felt "bloody quick" at the time but in control.

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

Sorry, Grahame, I didn't know: yes, now I can believe that your car reachs 260 km/h. And 260 km/h in a GT4 must be a very emotional experience, I agree.

But If you tune the car, the fastest is the GTB turbo intercooler, that has a 225/55 rear tires (instead of 225/50 that were on the GTS turbo tested by Quattroruote in 1986 and on all 328). You just have to turn down the wastegate screw, set the boost at 1,2 bar (instead of standard 1,05 bar) until the overboost warning light flashes (that means 1,2 bar of boost) and you have a 290-300 hp car that hits 270 km/h: better having new suspension joints, new tires, new Koni and so on before testing it... :)

ciao

4. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    Hi Alberto,
    I agree, absolutely, that if you are going to do a high speed run in an old car, make sure it is sorted - suspension, tyres, brakes, etcetera - I think these come in importance way before engine/ hp etcetera. For me, I have big brakes up front to make sure that I can stop ok!! You are also right - driving a gt4 at 260 kph is a very emotional experience!!!! It was wonderful!
    Cheers,
    Grahame

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Wouldn't this mean an altered wheel circumference and therefore false speedometer readings?? (provided, that there are no adaptions on the speedometer drive gear)

Best Regards
    Martin

6. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I have a 100% new suspension and next summer plan to drive mine around the 'Ring. I'll let y'all know how she does on the 'Bahn.

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Yes, falsely low speed indicated for given RPM. So when taken to maximum RPM, true speed should be faster. "should" because more power is required to turn the larger wheels at that RPM so end result may be the same final speed. Who knows. I will never try it...my nuts are too little!

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    correct. They discovered the speed of turbo intercooler cars were limited by the fact the maximum power was at a lower RPM value than the 328 engine, so the car required a bigger wheel diameter (easier to have than a new specific gear ratio for the very few turbocharged cars produced). They did it just on the GTB due to it's better aerodynamics: the 86-89 208 GTB turbo intercooler is the only 3x8 with /55 rear tires instead of the /50 tires of 328 GTB/GTS and GTS turbo intercooler. Of course you need to increase the boost pressure to gain all the possible RPM in 5th gear. If you turn the wastegate screw on a GTB turbo intercooler, it will reach 270 km/h (real speed), while on the GTS turbo intercooler you will just have more power but no increase in top speed, due to the too low final gear ratio.

ciao

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Really interested. Noone?

Best Regards
    Martin

10. WazzaT

WazzaT Karting

Oct 27, 2012
    australia
    Full Name:
    wazza t
    My euro tuned car did 235 Kph (147mph?) indicated in 1975 just after run-in and in perfect conditions. Felt great but corners and other cars came up awfully fast. At indicated 70 kph gps says 60 but at 100kph gps says 100. So 235 may even indicate a bit slow. Under 200 is ok for me these days. Waz.

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    The speed limit is 65 here and I have never gone faster than that! :)

12. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    What's this "Speed Limit" thingy, you speak of ???????????? :eek:

:p

;)

13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It's the thingy that gets you put in jail if you exceed it by a wide enough margin!

14. scottabbott

scottabbott Karting

Dec 31, 2011
    Montgomery TX
    Full Name:
    Scott Abbott
    #39 scottabbott, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picture taken on a spirited drive on open, straight, vacant road in April 2014 on a sunny clear day with about 90 degree temperature in Texas. I actually got to about 130 and there was not much more. Funny how more planted the car becomes over 100 mph.

I have also used an app on my phone to judge the accuracy of the speedo and it is within a 1 mph at 70.

84 308 Euro

Stupidity is bliss... What can I say, I had to know!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
  16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Mark,

you are aware, that 40% of the german Autobahn have fixed or temporary speed limits?

Best Regards
    Martin

17. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Yeah but in Germany you just bribe the judge and get off.

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yeah! Sweet dreams :)

Best Regards
    Martin

19. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Of course. I just like to thumb my nose once in awhile. :D

I have heard it is closer to 80%. I know first hand it is much more restricted than where I got here to a Divided Germany in 1989.

The main reason you don't have one now is FREE STATE Bayern.

They are the only State to have repeatedly told Bonn/Berlin to "Shove It" when the subject comes up.

At least that is what the news show I saw years ago stated.

20. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    It worked for Bernie Ecclestone. Oh the irony of bribing the court to get off a bribery charge.

21. LorenzoT

LorenzoT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2010
    Garden State
    Bertone GT4 design
    This may be a good time to discuss the difference in Bertone Studio vs Pininfarina Studio in the 70's. What was Ferrari doing in F1 at the time (Rush). The subject of my next book. In the history of automotive design and specifically aerodynamics, Bertone has certainly at the forefront. (B.A.T. Alfas early 50's) For the GT4, study how air moves through the GT4 grille, radiator and hits the angled bulkhead before exiting as hot air out and over the roof then sucking air through the engine compartment as it takes the exhaust up and away, while the cool air moves around the wind screen to the engine intakes at both 'C' pilars, then you can begin to understand how the down-force and stability are brilliantly built-in and integrated into the design. Pininfarina's still appear to be holding to a somewhat dated approach, which chooses to create an appealing curvie form, then carving into the form or adding on the functional components somewhat as an after thought. Form follows Function vs Fuction follows Form (L.Sullivan / Frank Lloyd Wright). The reason the gt4 is under appreciated is because - for romantics it's not the past it's the future. Bertone's works in this period are now recognized as a true tour de force. Just look at Lamborghini success, and how many of the gt4 ideas are still found in Ferraris of today.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  22. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    In my dreams I regularly get the GT4 up to 150, mostly on downhill stretches! :)

23. WazzaT

WazzaT Karting

Oct 27, 2012
    australia
    Full Name:
    wazza t

24. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    +1000

Marcello Gandini is a genius I know a GT4 owner in Europe who worked with him recently

25. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Wasn't the Alfa GTV a design that Gugiaro did while at Bertone?