Are donuts taboo for ferrari owners? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are donuts taboo for ferrari owners?

Discussion in '348/355' started by kenneyd, Oct 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    :)

2. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    If you guys notice on the couple of Magnum PI episodes that I can remember, they do burnouts (for dramatic effect and such) only on grass- yes makes a mess of the car, but also allowed them to film the next scene with a driveable car :)

In 25 years of sports car ownership, I did a total of one burn out in my first 911- was like fingernails on a chalkboard- and maybe 2 in my corvette. That includes a Massive burnout in my vette when my dad dared me to do one in front of my parents house one day...the smoke was swearling around in the rear wheel arches and even caught some chirp going into second..but that was a vette with gobs of torque and not a comparatively delicate 355 :)

Many years ago, a friends's honda got screwed up by a dealership who at first denied they did anything wrong (they forgot to tighten the lug nuts when doing a tire rotation and the whole wheel flew off as he was driving a few miles after he picked up the car!!). They had to order parts and gave him a stick shift honda civic as a loaner for a couple of weeks and were generally nasty (not surprisingly the dealer no longer there). They didn't even ask him if he knew how to drive stick, just said that's the loaner! I cannot recall how many burn outs I did with that car in those two weeks, but that is another story...and I will say that thing is probably still running fine somewhere today if it hasn't rusted away!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

American cars tend to put up with that more but still often break. I had an employee with a Camaro who blew up several differentials but no big deal. A couple of hundred bucks and a trip to the junk yard and he was back on the road. Magazines for Detroit iron are full of upgrades to keep the drivetrain working on them.

Porsche transmissions don't like it much either. I have fixed several. The slider cracks and strips all the dog teeth off the gear, then the syncro pops out of place, the syncro blockers, syncro ring and all the dog teeth can be found in the bottom, stuck to the magnet.

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Ouch! Guess my intuition to not do that again in my old 911 was the right thought to have...especially as I had a more limited maintenance budget back in those days

5. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    The closest my 355 gets to donuts is when I pull up in front of the bakery so the wife can run in to pick up milk and eggs.

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #31 Wade, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    This (with edits) ^^^

On the other hand, for those who are concerned about fitting in the narrow seats, go for the donut holes instead (one or two, not the whole bag). :)

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I decided to drive my italian exotic piece of porcelain to the tire store at 10mph below the speed limit, never exceeding 4k rpm because its better than all other cars and im a *****.
    I also cancelled a deal to buy a large diesel truck that had been abused towing a boat, as well as the boat since they used it over no-wake speed. Instead i chose to deck my self out in a ferrari hat, shirt, jacket, shoes and of course, Ferrari cologne and walk around the mall telling people to think Im cool cuz i drive a such an amazing machine!
    Wheeewww i feel great!

(sarcasm, guess i dont fit in haha)

8. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    LOL. Good stuff. :)

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    A little power launch here and there never hurt anyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmP6UdQX8qo

Also, if your tires are shot, then donuts/burnouts are probably fine.

I wouldn't do them with a fresh set or something sticky. However, if your tires are either poor or old and hard, doing burnouts or donuts will do little to no damage to your driveline.

You also don't need to dump the clutch to do donuts.

10. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I don't particularly care what previous owners have done to/with the car. All I care about when I buy a car is its present condition...all of which is easy enough to determine.

Wait, I take that back. If they just robbed a 7/11 in it, I don't want it.

Not so sure about how I feel if You substitute "woman" for "car".

11. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Its your car do what you want. I myself would not because of some of the weaknesses in the driveline i have heard about and the new ones rifledriver mentioned that i did not know about.
    I would think racing a car is also hard on it. Seems like the only thing good for them is proper warmup, and shifting near redline and working the engine enough to burn off the carbon.

My GUESS is that if you do not go nuts you will probably be ok but who knows.

That being said i enjoy watching them.

13. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    OK so a burnout isn't good but how about just giving it full throttle after having fully let out the clutch in 1st and rolled a few feet?

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #40 phrogs, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The 355 Propeller shaft doesn't seem to like certain things...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Mmmmm Doughnuts: :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-4P1WPE-Qg[/ame]

17. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010