Motoring memories of my Dad | FerrariChat

Motoring memories of my Dad

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Daytonafan, Oct 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    As some of you in the UK may already know my father - Martin Lange - passed away a couple of weeks ago after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.

I seldom share pieces from my own blog here, but I thought I would make an exception for this piece I have written about some of my motoring memories with my Dad. He was big into Ferraris (owning 30 in total over the years) and especially Enzo era ones.

Ten motoring memories with my Dad | Drive Cult

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Excellent write-up Matthew, and condolences on the passing of your father, he had excellent taste.

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    My condoleances Matthew and many thanks for sharing a most enjoyable read.

Best regards,

MS

4. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Condolences Matthew.

I met your father with Mark Shannon at Spa in 2000, when I was there with my 330 GTC.

My car (#11333) is the second to last RHD built and I believe your father's car was the last, both being delivered in August 1968

I thought your car looked so elegant in Rosso Rubino and was dismayed to see the mods done to it more recently.

John

5. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    So sorry to hear about your Dad, Mathew.

I didn't know him well but first met Martin at a club meeting in about 2007 and we ended up chatting over tea. He was driving SWB 16 at the time and told me a great tale about driving it down to Rome with your mother shortly after the restoration. "A very noisy car" he said and apparently so noisy on a long trip that they both wore ear defenders and couldn't talk to each other. I suggested that he should invest in a pair of headsets so they could communicate and he gave me a very strange look and said that he would rather stick with the ear defenders!

Fondly remembered

Colin

6. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I had forgotten about the noise in the SWB and Dad sticking cotton wool in his ears on a road trip in it. Sometimes he would get out of the car and forget the cotton wool was still in and wonder why it was so quiet :)

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I was very sorry to hear about you Dad last week Matt.
    It is a very fitting tribute you have written about him. Clearly he will be a big loss to you and your family.

I two meet him about 5 years ago, when he was with Mark at a Ferrari concours and I was pleased to help, when he asked if I could lend him some Ferrari paint chips for one of his projects.
    Best regards
    Grant

8. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    #8 Birel, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Big condolences to you Matthew, your dad's old 275GTB #6527 is now in the hands of another appreciative enthusiast in Australia and still looks the same as it was in 1973. I was fortunate enough to have been caretaker for about a year back in 2006/07. It lives in Melbourne now sharing garage space with a Daytona.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thanks Andrew, I had heard it had gone to Australia, nice to it is still getting used.

10. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Sorry to hear about your dad, nice piece too.

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I am very sorry to hear about your dad's passing, Matthew. A true car guy. I enjoyed your blog note and laughed out loud at the "Eagle has Landed" reference.

Be well.
    Bryan

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My sincere condolences on the loss of your father, but that is a GREAT tale right there!

13. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you have the memories. Best wishes.

14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Condolences on the loss of your father, Matthew. I often wish my dad had shared my passion for cars, but I loved him and enjoyed his company for many other reasons.

Thanks for sharing your writing here.

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Condolences and prayers for you and your family. He was younger than my father is, I'm so sorry for your loss.

On the flip side - that's some collection of cars he had! I know how much my father's love of cars shaped me, you must have some great memories to cherish forever.

16. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Enjoyed the write up. I also lost my Dad earlier this month. He was a car guy too and very influential in my life. A toast to our Dads...

I also owned a 94 RX-7 R2. GREAT car. Wish I had kept it. Won't make that mistake with my 308.

17. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    What a great story and enchanted childhood you had! Condolences on the loss of your father; I'd say you're honoring him well.

18. Dreambrother

Dreambrother Formula Junior

May 14, 2011
    Hi Matthew,

Always sad to hear of someone passing away, my condolences to you and your family. Your beautiful story is proof that memories are born in this phase and keep cherishing them!

Walter

19. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    My Condolences on your loss too.