interesting doc (speeding) | FerrariChat

interesting doc (speeding)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zudnic, Aug 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  2. Rally guy

Rally guy Rookie

Aug 3, 2006
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Robinson
    Long, but brilliant. Problem is, governments seem not to like scientific evidence too much these days.

RK

3. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Not governments - it is people. Climate change is not disputed by U.S. government, it is a certain group of people.

Rob in Potomac, Maryland

4. Indyjones

Indyjones Karting

Jan 28, 2009
    Pacific NW
  5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I did think it was interesting and made some good points.

Like the main road to town for me is 60km/h, a road that parallels it, same type of road, etc. is 70km/h.

Highways could be faster here if they enforced the keep right laws.

6. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    I've watched that video a couple of times since it came out. I agree with the logic. However, I do wonder sometimes about some people and their ability to judge and govern behavior, based on what they're driving.

I drive the Coquihalla in BC numerous times a year. Since the speed limit was increased to 120km/h I've noticed 2 things. First, there isn't nearly the police presence there used to be. In the 5 times I've been on it since January, I have yet to see a police car between Hope and Kamloops. This is not a concern, nor is it a relief. I'm ambiguous. If I speed and get caught, that's my problem. Just because they're not there doesn't mean I speed more often or more excessively. What I have seen is a dramatic increase in the number of cars speeding what I would call excessively. It seems every trip I get passed by someone going 150 or 160. That doesn't bother me as such. Many cars can travel safely at those speeds and many of those passing me would be included in that group. What I find alarming is what else is passing me at those speeds. Clapped out SUVs that likely shouldn't even be on the road let alone at highway speeds are passing me and then getting squirrelly under braking because they can't make the next corner at the speed they're going. Bald tires. Inadequate brakes. Blown shocks. Who knows what else. Those are the guys that bother me and are dangerous to everyone on the road.

Unfortunately when one of those vehicles is involved in a wreck, the general cry is "speed kills". Yes...in that vehicle it does, however it's pretty hard to make a law that says clapped out SUVs can only go 100km/h and a BMW M5 can go 180.

The whole urban speed limit thing is a complete other conversation and I'm not getting into it. We've got some speed zones in Calgary that make about as much sense as those pointed out in Vancouver. Every city does.

Oh, and my speed on the Coq? I usually set the cruise about 135 and let the crazies run...

7. KenTO

KenTO Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2009
    Toronto
    I don't think "speed kills", it's the stopping when you hit something that kills, so "stopping kills."

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    In 2005, there was a case in Nebraska, the result of which was a ruling that speeding (in that instance, 128mph) is not, prima facie, reckless driving. Defendant was Carman, FYI, if anyone wants to look it up.

I really wish the Legislative, LE and Judicial communities would get a clue. However, the revenue streams are almost certainly too good to give up. It's a racket. Nothing more. Under the strawman ruse of "safety". It's disappointing how disingenuously the different factions argue about this.

Given the advancements in road design and construction, vehicle design and safety devices, tire and brake technologies and so forth, it's a wonder why we're tolerating speed limits that were created (for the most part) in the 1970's for energy rationing.

Sure, higher speeds have more energy, but they don't necessarily result in more fatalities. And, higher speeds cause people to be more attentive to the task at hand. Not texting, talking and fiddling in the mirror or with the radio.

We have 75mph stretches here in CO. I know there are higher limits elsewhere. Perhaps someone has done studies that show inconvenient results for accidents and fatalities from those jurisdictions?

I am firm believer that the driver him- or herself is the best judge of what's safe under the circumstances. More autonomy ought to be given to them to decide.

CW

9. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    The 800 kilometre stretch from Windsor Ontario to Quebec is posted at 100 km/hr. You can set your cruise at 120 and pass radar traps and cruisers without incident. If you surpass that speed, the fines and points add up. This is what the government likes. The fine is greater doing 30 over the speed limit than 10. The hard part is convincing all the drivers to kick it up a notch to 120.

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I know because my cousin worked traffic in the RCMP here in BC. Most jurisdictions in Canada allow 20km/h's over the highway limit. Its usually the flow of traffic on a 100km/h stretch of highway. The courts established a 10km/h over the limit before a ticket can be issued, the courts add in speedometer and police error (before radar, etc.) of 3 or 4 mph and averaged that to 10km/h when we adopted metric.

11. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I drive this road 1-2x/month and use 137 or 138 km/h on cruise. I find it's the 1980 F150 doing 160+ and I let them go, at least their trajectories are easy to predict. but the scariest ones are the kids on their cell phones or texting (still!). The RV crowd we've got now tend to keep right, but they do seem to get surprised when a hill appears and their speed drops from 115->95 in the left lane, and then they freeze.

If you see a red S3 or 348 spider in your rear-view, that'll be me :)

12. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    We need a more reasonable speed limit in Vancouver. I think 80kmh on public roads and 140kmh on highways, with a keep-right regulation. These are actually the speed we are doing every day. And the authority should also seize the car of those who are driving while using phone too instead of only those going 40kmh over the current stone-age-limit. Driving while using a phone poses higher risk of fatal accident than speeding, and these are the guys who like to drive very slow, many times slowing down on purpose waiting for the traffic light to turn red, so they can start to text while stopping.

13. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The annoying thing in the lower mainland is people still using their phones. Stop signs and lights they start texting. Four way stops are now way more dangerous because nobody seems to know when to go!

14. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
    Oh yes - I see that here in Toronto/GTA as well. This actually has a massive impact on traffic congestion. And it's not just happening at lights and stop signs, it happens "in" traffic and dude is far behind when traffic starts moving again!

I can handle the higher speeds, but man.. there are PLENTY of drivers on the GTA/Ontario highways that I see regularly that are dangerous at any speed... moving chicanes! It's a bit too easy to get a license in my opinion!

15. dssd456

dssd456 Rookie

Nov 25, 2015
    Screw it!! I love SPEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!