mustang 350 R | Page 9 | FerrariChat

mustang 350 R

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 95spiderman, Jan 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    #201 lashss, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Great pic...that one could be captioned as "OHC vs OHV" for just about any manufacturer.

I would investigate those engine weights to confirm accuracy...never heard of topspeed.com either.

Dyno battle results?

Both the GT350 and current Z/28 do about 470rwhp.

Camaro Z/28 Dyno Battles Shelby Mustang GT350 | GM Authority

Very impressive for both cars.

LSJ

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The Gt350 has less Tq. But I would look at power and TQ spread as much as I would look at peaks. Some engines with single cams and pushrods have relativly narrow power ranges near their peaks or things drop off relatively rapidly. Whereas multivalve multi cam spinners may have much wider spreads making consistent high power over a wider range, the car more useable and faster on say a road course. If you can run a wide range over many revs you need to shift less and at less oportune times, making the car faster.

Of course pushrods are compact and light, but they tend to be more vibratey(secondary vibes) and feel less eager to rev out. Multicams often can spin almost like turbines, although a flat plane crank may not the the smoothest.

In nay event it looks like the Canaro SS and Gt350R are now very different machines with different characteristics to eachother. Ironicaly now the mustang is the heavy one.

3. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Both engines are very impressive in output and pretty decent in efficiency.

I think you have it backwards on the power curve and tractability. The lower peak and higher torque will be easier to use (less shifting) on a road course. The gearing will come into play but with more torque it will matter less if ratios are chosen properly.

It might have more abrupt or more sensitive power delivery, but that is only a factor if your skill level is low.

Also, my vibratey technique is rusty. I need to dig out the Stratocaster to practice one of these days.

LSJ

4. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its power spread that counts, not necessarily lower in rev range, the rest is gearing.

I have a pushrod sbf track car, and some multicam road stuff, very diffetrent power characterists.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    That shelby super snake got a horrible review in r&t. Way down on supposed hp and still couldn't get traction with what it had. Bad old school shelby compared to 350r (I hope)

7. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Shelby super snake = "let's take everything we have in the catalog, throw it on the car and charge almost $100,000"

8. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    You should try a torquey motor with a flatter power curve sometime. You will enjoy not having to shift on a course and not having to worry about gearing as much.

Power delivery can be an issue if you're not an experienced driver though...be gentle with the throttle.

The GT350's engine is powerful enough that it won't be an issue like in smaller displacement motors, but could be tough in a really slow hairpin where you are trying to dig out in 2nd gear at low speed. That's a situation where something like the LS7 would be more tractable.

LSJ

9. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I just saw that too. It is disappointing but it seems like it was more of a bolt on frenzy with not enough development of the total package?

Sadly, most people will never notice whether it all works together or not.

LSJ

10. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    take out the "s" in https and it will embed

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbbNlkP-ZSM[/ame]

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow the motortrend videos are getting very entertaining. best ive seen other than top gear. blows away jay leno. better than 5th gear too. thanks for link

13. YenkoYS100

YenkoYS100 Karting

Sep 9, 2004
    Payson, AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Gloria McClurkan
    According to DBK on svtperformance.com, GT350's have started to hit the dealerships. 2015's, with 2016's right behind them. GT350R's are supposed to start Job 1 at the beginning of December.

14. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I could have sworn I read somewhere that Rs would not be built till March, something about the Michelin tires not being able to be left outside in freezing or below freezing temperatures.

15. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Lots of non-R's have been built but are slow to ship due to a couple of small recalls affecting Mustangs in general. R's will be built for a short period of time then mothballed until March of next year due to tire issues relating to cold weather.

Still waiting......

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    That's a big win for 350 vs all those heavy hitters.

We need a separate thread to summarize all these media awards.

18. fpb

fpb Karting

Dec 18, 2003
    MI, Chicago
  19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    ACR is a monster.

350R is a bargain.

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Was little disappointed in acr lap time. Not much faster than z or 488. Would ve thought several seconds faster than them

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Again, coming from a GM fan, I am not at all surprised the GT350R won this. Even factoring out the value, it was right in the mix on everything, and I was really surprised at the lap times.

Now consider the price. Dammit, Ford hit it out of the park - I want this car!

22. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    So true but why do I still want one? LOL

I would love to have a GT350 or 350R but they are out of my price range.

23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    #223 Face76, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Awesome!

Mark

25. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Thanks! This car was a blast on the 50 mile drive home. Can't wait until it is broken in.