Dino DIY - Changing hoses and coolant pipes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino DIY - Changing hoses and coolant pipes

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Mar 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just sent an email to the person I spoke to who has replaced the tunnel hoses with Al pipes.

I imagine when I re-install my tunnel hoses that I'll need to collapse them a little to facilitate replacing them.

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I emailed the owner and aluminum Dino guru Simon who is the subject of this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295393
    and got this response:

"Hi Scott,
    the ones going through the chassis I replaced with good green stripe hose …. the rest I made in alloy ...
    Si"

NOTE: "alloy" would be the pipes to the thermostat and oil heat exchanger

COMMENT: My Maserati Bora used aluminum tubes through a tunnel channel but there were standards and clamps to keep these from vibrating

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Could you even get a pair of aluminum pipes thru the channel considering its length/rigidity and the angle of approach in a Dino?

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Simon's response:

Simon Leach [email protected]

I looked at that… you would have to insulate the alloy you don’t want an air gap inside the tube with the pipes getting hot and cold as the condensation will promote rust! So the tight rubber hose is a better idea and the old stuff wasn’t bad anyway ! haven’t heard of any going bad so if it’s not broken don’t fix it !LOL!!!! Use green strip inch and a quarter piece a hole in the end of the hose and pull it through with a string

.. also a good idea is to weld a wire wheel on the end of a long rod you can put in a drill and clean them out real good all of them then! and apply a rust prevention solution before installing… Si

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I recently replaced the tunnel hoses that run between the radiator and engine and found a marine grade application hose for a very reasonable $64 in 12' lengths. For some reason this pre-cut 12' length is actually cheaper than the 8.5 I needed, perhaps labor to custom cut?

SKU: 268947
    Shields 200 Series, Exhaust / Water Hose, No Wire, 1-1/4" x 12-1/2'
    Shields 200 Series - Marine Exhaust / Water Hose, No Wire

Changing the tunnel hoses was quick and easy.

6. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Thanks again for this, Scott. Much appreciated.

Andy

7. ODDY

ODDY Rookie

May 7, 2013
    #32 ODDY, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As an aside to the water hose replacement. Some 15 years ago I had all the aluminium hose connection points sleeved in stainless and they still all look like new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Scott,
    Thanks for the tip...just ordered them. My first attempt at changing hoses, a few years ago, was only partially successful. The O.D. of the new hoses that we had ordered (internal wire mesh marine) was too large to squeeze both through the tunnel. I ran out of time before a driving event and had to slide one of the original hoses back in. (I posted about my experience some time ago.) I'll get it right this time!

ODDY,
    Very cool. Were the sleeves bonded/sealed to the aluminum necks?

Both,
    Have a good one!
    Coop

9. ODDY

ODDY Rookie

May 7, 2013
    Yes, the pipe ends were cleaned up and the sleeves epoxied over them. One for the purist as the sleeves are not visible once the hose is fitted.

10. dudlow

dudlow Karting

Feb 28, 2011
    Surrey UK
    On such a technical thread amongst such skilled people I don't want to sound like a complete idiot...........but.....

when I drain the coolant I disconnect the lower radiator pipe, take the cap off the header tank and the bleed screw out of the rad, but it still takes ages to drain, and I think a load stays in the system. I then flush through with a hose in the header tank.
    I put it back together, fill, then repeat after a short drive, but my coolant still looks a bit rusty.
    Am I missing something, or is this the best way to do it.

I try and do this once a year, although it has run to two this time. Also, luckily I have the use of a ramp.

Any tips most welcome as its time to get wet and dirty again.

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That is the best way to do it, you just need to continue until you're happy.
    After being down for painting over a year, I flushed my Dino 4 times with distilled water just as you did before it ran clear. That big hose is a superior escape for scale or precipitants than the tap.

12. ODDY

ODDY Rookie

May 7, 2013
    #37 ODDY, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had the dilemma of finding a suitable long lasting hose that I could be confident would last in this most inaccessible of locations. Much anguish later I came across Purosil 70 series 4 ply. The image is of the hoses I have recently removed from my car. They were installed in 1998 and don't seem to have deteriorated at all. Not cheap and only come in blue as far as I know?(For the purist they can be painted with a black rubber base painted).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. tom kinsman

tom kinsman Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Good information.....thank you.
    Just took my Dino through a full mechanical Restoration. We found the long pipes needed replacing....rotten and ready to burst. All replaced with Stainless for long term comfort and reliability.

14. ODDY

ODDY Rookie

May 7, 2013
    G,day Tom,
    My car is RHD and centre chassis tube is not straight as for a LHD. This makes it virtually impossible to fit metal tubes through it. The other reason for using silicone hose is that it reduces the heat transfer to the cabin which is a significant problem here in our hot climate.
    No AC in my car.

15. tom kinsman

tom kinsman Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Gotcha....makes sense. I have AC and live in the PNW so much cooler.

16. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    Dino 246 GT Dec. 1973 E-series

Coolant system inspection & service and metal pipe replacement.

On inspection there were subtle signs of corrosion, so I ended up replacing them. Hopefully some useful bits and pieces in the report.

Other relevant references I came across:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/dino-diy-changing-hoses-and-coolant-pipes.237914/page-2#post-138533397
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bradan-246-dino-restoration.345174/page-45#post-142092712
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-rejuvenation-of-02986.547953/page-30

Kevin

Attached Files: