sticky parts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

sticky parts

Discussion in '360/430' started by jackgt, Dec 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If you can take it off, use EZ off in the yellow can. Leave it on for a hour at a time, wipe, then take it outside and hose it off.

2. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #27 GordonF355, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, I shared my experience with this project back in the summer in an separate thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/492920-sticky-switch-cleanup-360-really-works-pretty-easily.html

I had a similar sticky steering column surround and also fixed that. I removed it, cleaned all the gunk off, and sprayed it with Rustoleum 223717 Paint For Plastic Textured Spray, Black, 12-Ounce from eBay which worked very well. It has a slightly textured finish but totally blends in and matches. I have attached a few pictures I just snapped.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks I read you post
    "My favorite stuff to use was Denatured Alcohol. I bought it at Lowes for $8. Buy the white cotton rags there also - they worked great! I think some of the plastics / coatings varied...
    For instance the steering column surround I did first before I had the denatured alcohol and it was a bear to clean that one. I used Goof off, brake cleaner on it and I think i scrubbed some of the plastic layer off in one part because i was getting impatient and getting bit aggressive! I ever used a sanding sponge ( which I don't recommend in retrospect) which turned the plastic somewhat gray. I put some plastic restorer on it and it turned black immediately but now that part is too shiny for my liking. So I did some research and ordered Rust-Oleum 223717 Paint For Plastic Textured Spray, Black, 12-Ounce from eBay which some other people recommended and that should arrive tomorrow. I play on spraying the surround after I clean all the greasy stuff back off. I will post some pics when finished!"

do you think you can get "too aggressive" with just the denatured alcohol and cotton rags and be able to remove the plastic layer off? Or is it because you used the sanding sponge?
    Do you think I can remove all the goof in that particular area I showed in the picture without needed go do the whole thing and there will not be any color difference?
    You fixed it really well with the plastic texture spray by the way

4. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #29 bisel, Dec 4, 2015
    Two years ago, I decided to tackle the sticky coating on the plastic shroud that surrounds the steering column. The goo on my car is not real sticky, but as you can see in the photo, the area around ignition switch was pretty scarred up. You see a shiny bit there ... that was my trial using alcohol before I removed the the shroud.

I decided to try using denatured alcohol as the solvent as it is mild and does not attack the plastic substrate. (BTW ... I tried an inconspicuous spot using lacquer thinner ... DO NOT USE lacquer thinner. It tends to attack the plastic)

Using denatured alcohol, moisten the part. I found the alcohol softens but does not dissolve the sticky substance. A terry cloth towel is used to scrub away the sticky. I also found that if I score the surface of the sticky with my finger nail and use a 3M blue scrubber (the type that does not scratch ... do not use the green scrubber), you can gently scrub the sticky off. It took me about an hour to gently scrub away the sticky goo.

Once the goo was removed, I used Simichrome metal polish (any metal polish should do) to rub out the fine scratches. Following that treatment, I used Mothers Back to Black plastic restorer to restore the color.

In all, about 2 to 3 hours of work here to do both the top and bottom of the steering wheel shroud ... not counting the time to remove and install the plastic shroud which took me about 20 minutes.

I am always looking for better solvents. I will likely be doing the A/C vents soon.

Steve

5. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    It has been a while since I did this project but yes the steering column seems to be fairly soft. The more aggressive you scrub, the more it took off. I tried the sanding approach but that didn't really work for me that well as it left tons of scratches. I think the finish is better with a few light coats of spray paint imho.

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks Steve and Gordon
    I will do it next weekend, if I do something wrong and it doesn't look good Ricambi has both parts for not that expensive so I feel good about it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    i used thinner and just dipped it in the can then rubbed it off... worked out just fine and fast.

don´t leave parts in the can - just dip it. use plastic gloves or your fingers will dry out as nothing you´ve never seen Before.

8. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We can take care of it for you

9. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Anyone not wanting to deal with the headache, chemicals, terrible smells, big mess feel free to email me with any questions or solutions. Robbie

10. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Hi, how much for fixing the steering column plastic??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

+1

12. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Full complete price lists for your review are available on our website for each make and model.

stickynomore.com

13. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #39 jackgt, Dec 12, 2015
    I think we got a lot of info on HOW to take the sticky stuff off(I prefer EZ off) Now how to paint. I tried a few things, not satisfied, then tried the rustolium textured plastic paint. did not like the amount of texture, too much. It was dry so I tried to take it off with alcohol. This stuff sticks!!!! Anyway it did not want to come off easy, but I was looking at it and with SOME rubbing, the texture was reduced and I love it!! Not sure what is SUPPOSED to look like, but in pics I have seen the original was not shiny or perfectly smooth. I would like some other opinions on that. Anyway here is a pic, I have a NEW camera on the way, sick of lousy pics out of my old camera. Bottom is unpainted--