Launch Question | FerrariChat

Launch Question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Soup Nazzi, Dec 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Soup Nazzi

Soup Nazzi Rookie

Dec 7, 2015
    New 458 italia owner here, and yes I searched and read the threads, however I'm getting mixed posts which are inconclusive.

I tried using the power start in race and I noticed the revs didn't go above 2500 rpm.

The launch worked properly 1 out of 3 tries.

Twice the power got cut off due to the esc kicking in and reducing power.

What is the proper way to use launch control, as I read in ec mode off will give too much tire spin rendering the launch ineffective.

And from the posts most use it in race mode.

Do you usually feather the accelerate to attempt to maximize traction or just hold the accelerater all the way down and let the computer do its thing?

Also based in your experience which mode gets you the best launch and traction?

Please advise.

2. Trincap

Trincap Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2010
    NorCal
    Sounds like you did something wrong. Did you feather the pedal? It's pretty simple: hit button with brake on, floor it, lift brake. That's it. Did you leave it in manual or auto?

3. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    +1

4. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    ESC kicks in if the tyres are too cold or the surface is slippery. Rear tyres need to be warmed up...

5. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    +1 I only drive in CT-Off you probably had traction control kick in not ESC. I find traction control to be way to intrusive on my driving style. Not just on launch. BTW RPM only goes to ~3k in the Speciale

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    First, welcome. Second, agree with the others. Just keep practicing. Won't take you long to master it's not like launching a CGT.

7. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Congratulations on your new F458. Welcome to the club.
    If you have photos of the car you should consider posting them.

8. Soup Nazzi

Soup Nazzi Rookie

Dec 7, 2015
    It was in manual.

Will do, thank you.

I will post some soon, and thank you. The pictures I have are definitely sub par.

Rear tires were on GO on the VDA, which should be sufficiently warmed up for a launch, no?

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It's part of the traction control and how it performs the PS. The clutch isn't going to activate at a high RPM. Turning everything off (holding until everything in the VDA is off) and feathering the throttle should have similar (but less predictable) results.