has anyone RE imported original USA car back into the USA ? | FerrariChat

has anyone RE imported original USA car back into the USA ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by henryr, Dec 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    customs border patrol says there is NO import duty for a car that has already been in the USA, exported and that an individual is bringing back in.....

EVERY shipper I have contacted wants to charge the duty and says the exemption is BS.......

any thought ?

2. Gle8

Gle8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I'm interested in this as well. Car I'm looking at has the DOT sticker in the door showing manufactured in USA, but I'm getting conflicting info out there.

3. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    My understanding is that you *do* have to pay import duty.

I am not an expert, but I dealt with this very topic for a car I purchased a couple of months back. I paid import duty to bring the car back into the US.

4. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I lived in Canada and bought a US car and imported it (1995). Paid my CDN duties and taxes. When I moved down to the US in 2006 there were no duties or import taxes as they were part of my assets that moved with me to the US.
    Regards,
    JP

5. ECS

ECS Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Brian Albertson
    Just brought a US car back from Canada. It was 5% import duty going into Canada, and 2.5% to bring it back to the states.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    was it a US manufactured car Brian ?

7. Vintage12

Vintage12 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    SW Florida
    Full Name:
    Colin
    I purchased a car in Canada last year. German manufactured (Porsche) that was originally sold in the US when new and exported to Canada at some point. It still had the US emissions stickers, no import duty bringing it back in to the US.