Frustrations with Dealer... | FerrariChat

Frustrations with Dealer...

Discussion in '360/430' started by russomanno, Jan 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. russomanno

russomanno Karting

Dec 16, 2011
    #1 russomanno, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    So long story short, my car was involved in a minor hit and run almost 3 months ago now (going through insurance), Ferrari was to deal with the body shop and insurance and all that, was told by the body shop he would be done in 2 weeks and I would have my car back... In the 2.5 months that my cars been gone I've been VERY VERY patient calling Ferrari only once 2 and half weeks ago asking what was going on. Was told by the service manager that the car is back in their possession and that they were waiting on the 3M film for the front bumper and that once that was done they will send me my car back. The service manager calls me back a week after I talked to him to tell me the exact same thing again, not sure why but anyways calls me today to tell me that they can't get into my passenger side door to charge the battery because the latch inside the door is apparently busted and they want $1000 for parts and labor to fix it. Finally, the frustration of my car being gone for so long over fixing some minor front end damage came out, I said it left here in 100% working order, and I don't see how it would all of a sudden just happen to break in their possession...? I understand that things like this do eventually just bust, but maybe someone was trying to reef on the handle while it was locked? Maybe the car was out in the cold... Either way, with the car being gone for 3 months then they call me to tell me I need to spend $1000 to fix the latch, I said no way, call me with a better solution because theres no chance I'm paying $1000 to have that fixed.

Any advice or has anyone had something like this happen before? At the end of the day i'll probably just buy the part online somewhere and fix it myself. (They wanted $600 for the part and $400 for labor)

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's usually a connecting rod and plastic bit that breaks in the door. Could even be that the mechanism just needs to be adjusted. Difficult to diagnose with just "door won't open" and "this part needs to be replaced". How do they know that that's the part that needs replacing? I'm surprised they knew exactly what was broken without a proper diagnosis of the problem (unless you haven't told us). These things do break on their time, could be that it just broke when the dealer had it. Get it back and then fix it on your time IMHO. Since we don't know which part is thought to be the issue can't confirm anything or offer better feedback.

3. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    Unfortunately, the dealer can blame the body shop, and the body shop can blame the dealer. I think your chosen course of action (buying part & doing your own labor) is the best choice if the dealer won't or can't charge it to the insurance and won't cut you a break on price.

4. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    If the front bumper was sprayed ... isn't there a waiting period before they can apply the film?

5. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Chances are the body shop and dealer have a relationship. I would press them both hard to take responsibility. if the car went there working, it's their responsibility to fix anything that breaks in their possession.

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes. You didn't want the film applied immediately after respray.

7. russomanno

russomanno Karting

Dec 16, 2011
    How long is immediately after? Its been a few weeks at the very least...

Also, the dealership called me back today, they took the assembly apart and fixed whatever was broken and put it back together all at no charge which was great!

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would ask them. I believe my guy said 3-4 weeks, but I'm not certain. Personally, I'd wait at least a month. You don't want the paint coming up with the film when it's removed.

9. russomanno

russomanno Karting

Dec 16, 2011
    Ok, thanks everyone!

10. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    We had our clear film reinstalled two weeks after painting, since have removed with no paint issues, so a month is probably on the extra safe side, but no harm there. Great to hear they fixed it, make sure you give them a thumbs up somewhere via review for doing the right thing...

11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    The principle in law about custody and fault applies here. We would argue Rez Ipsa Loquitor In this case- and more so I would get the dealer to specify what they actually did to remedy this new problem on your paperwork. If there is a problem later, you'd like a record. The idea that the complete fix is $1000 but if you balk then then re glue or other suboptimal repair is done concerns me.

Sounds like it's getting closer. Just curious do you live in a reduced value state- can you get a claim against the other driver ( or your insurance in this case due to hit and run? ) for the decrease in value your car will realize due to the accident ?

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    weird... you guys with late model ferraris are getting jerked around on time and price.... maybe if you knew something about your car and the repair it might not cost $10k

13. russomanno

russomanno Karting

Dec 16, 2011
    I'm not really sure ScottS, I don't think we have that here in Canada.

14. rmarchjr

rmarchjr Formula Junior

May 21, 2012
    North east, USA
    Hay big boy- Give the man a break. Most people aren't trained and don't have the ability to fix a Ferrari. One great thing about this forum is showing people that it's not as difficult as they have built it up in their minds. Bagging on a guy asking for advice isn't very helpful. And many of us do all or most of our own work.

Also if the paint is not baked on - I wait 6 months before putting on a film. I'm a bit cautious because I've had the film pull the clear coat on 2 Ferrari's.